Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums - View Single Post - LBZ: Kriesel Diesel
Thread: LBZ: Kriesel Diesel
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kriesel
Diesel Starter

Kriesel Diesel

Suburban background:
Previous to this truck, we had a Ď94 chevy, K3500 crew cab dually, and it had a cummins 12-valve swap. The truck was huge, and kind of a hassle to drive. The steering was loose, doors were a little loose, and a stick shift (which I love). My wife said that she would prefer to drive something smaller, and with an automatic transmission. My response was that the only diesel vehicle I would want an automatic behind would be something with an allison transmission. So, we settled upon a duraburb swap, after lots of thinking. When looking into suburbans to purchase, we test drove a local quadrasteer version, and fell in love with it. But it was pretty rusted, and so I passed on that one. I ended up finding our suburban on eBay, and bought it sight unseen. I was less worried about the cash transaction with eBayís scam protection, but still worried I would get a truck shipped to my door that was crap.
01 by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

05 by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

24 by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

But, the shipping company dropped off a running/driving suburban, and it was really nice and clean, and rust free, coming out of southern California (compared to vehicles I'm used to seeing in Minnesota... lol).

Loaded up in Cali:
IMG_1410[1] by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

Delivered to me:
IMG_1414[1] by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

Right after getting it, the cluster died... Completely. Tried to replace the voltage regulator, but it still didn't work:
IMG_2154 by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

IMG_1533[1] by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

Ended up switching to a used cluster, and had to then replace all the stepper motors and light bulbs:
IMG_2162 by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

The same summer I bought it, I also had a shop spray the entire under side of the truck with bedliner, and up around the rocker a few inches:
IMG_2187 by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

IMG_2189 by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

Since buying it, I've put about 50k miles on it, driving like crazy. It's been my wife's daily driver. I love TestDrive's example, that the wife let me tear into her daily driver! I replaced the stereo with a better one with a DVD player because the rear DVD didn't work, and I tied the two together. The Quadrasteer is amazing! Has a better turning radius the our VW Jetta! Love this truck, use it for everything!

In the meantime, I've kept my eye out for just the right donor truck. I wanted to be picky, so an LBZ was my only choice. I wanted the benefits that it brings over previous models. If I'm going through with this, I wanted to do it "right" the first time. So, I passed over a lot of trucks with other engines. I found one guy locally with rolled over truck, 2007 classic body, and he wanted an astronomical amount, even for a rolled over truck. Hadn't really had any good luck finding a cheap donor. Until...

Donor prep:
A good friend of mine (Thanks GreenGeeker) tipped me off to this truck on Craigslist, located near his home which is about 45 minutes away from my home. The truck is a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500, crew cab, long box. It is a salvage title, and was in damaged form when I picked it up. The truck went off the road and hit some trees, damaging the bed, the rear corner of the cab on the driverís side, and the fender on the driverís side. Under the hood, the fender and hood crunched the fuse block, but generally the fuses (and the actual fuse block) and electrical plugs were ok, broke the plastic end cap of the radiator, broke the driverís tie-rod, broke the cooling fan shrouds, broke the lower charge air cooler hose. The truck was pretty rusty being from Minnesota. I had a heck of a time removing body panels and such, for example, had to cut the bed mounts off pretty much since the not all of the bolts would come loose.
IMG_4194 by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

IMG_4196 by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

A lot of the panels on my donor were wrecked. I removed all the body panels on the front of the truck, and also removed the bed of the truck (which was also wrecked. The donor I have was driven off the road into some trees, and so the bed, cab, drivers side fender, and hood were all destroyed. I used a snowmobile trailer to offload all the busted up parts, and will eventually bring the pile to the metal recycler. Along with the fender removal, the batteries and some other various things get removed as well (batteries, coolant overflow bottle, etc.)

Removing the bed:
Untitled by Jacob Kriesel, on Flickr

Front panels removed:

Removed the cooling package:

Getting things dismounted from the engine on the driver's side:

Everything dismounted on the passenger side:

Engine pretty much ready to pull out:

Removed the 4wd switch and cluster from the donor. I set these aside for now:

Removed the 4wd controller, right behind this arrow:

Unplug it, and it pops out of it's black plastic holder:

Unplug the shift lever:

Unbolt shift lever:

Set aside for now:

Removed the accelerator pedal, and pulled the plug through the firewall. Set aside for now:

Removed two-piece driveshaft:

I removed most of the body harness, in order to pull out the wires needed for the swap:

With the cab out of the way, I removed the transfer case:

I opened up the transfer case to install a pump rub kit (got mine from Merchant Automotive). Here is a pic of the area behind the clip that rubs against the housing of the transfer case:

Overall view of the area of the pump:

The oem pump:

The MA kit: