Diesel Place banner

Any Rock Crawlers??

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  WOJO 1 
#1 ·
I just wanted to see if there are any Rock Crawler/Jeep/Off-road enthusiasts on DP?

I do the Rock Crawling thing:

2003 Rubicon TJ. Pretty much not a Rubicon anymore...and barely a TJ:whistle:

Specs:

Drivetrain- Custom Solid Industries D-60 Front axle, Ford HP 86-91.5 specs with Chevy knuckles, bearing hubs. 5.38 gears, yukon locker/axles, full hydraulic steering.
Rear AAM 14B axle out of a 05 GMC 2500, 5.38 gears/yukon locker
AW4 automatic swap.
Atlas II 4.3

Suspension- King 2.5 14" Coilovers on all 4 corners. Custom valving.

Tires/Wheels- 17x9.5" Raceline BL wheels, 40/13.50/17 MTR stickies.

There are some other goodies, but that is enough for now. Looking for like minded people. If your in the area or coming to CO, let me know. I am more than happy to host your crew. We currently have a NC crew come out every year to hit UT, CO, NM for the rocks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, mostly money...and some stupidity. Roll cages, 5 point harnesses, and a real disregard for straight body panels/paint.:hehe:

Two in the same week....

Reactions: jnlperformance
#4 ·
Gotta agree with that too. I did the ATV thing for over a decade and did my best to avoid destroying my rides. (and that was on ATV's costing in the $5K to $10K range). Vivid memories of watching my ATV bounce, spin, bounce, spin ..... over and over as it rolled downhill just turns into huge amounts of $$$$.

Reactions: ColoradoTJ
#7 ·
If I use my winch 2 times per year, that might be pushing it..LOL. Winching is not rock crawling in my book. Rock stacking is another thing that just makes me laugh. Stack enough rocks, a Corvette can do Jeep trails.:HiHi:

#6 · (Edited)
Did the rock crawling thing in my 'reasonably built' Samurai for years. Lots of fun, but I gotta be honest, there is a new movement towards the full on "buggies". They call them "Rock Bouncers" and the drivers have pretty much zero common sense, common courtesy or skill, they just hold it wide open, bounce off trees, rocks and everything else, and hope for the best. They surging popularity of those things have turned me off to rock-crawling and I sold my Sammy. I just generally prefer to trail ride on my sxs now.

Tim

#8 ·
I agree Tim. Lucky for me, this is more of a "east of the Mississippi" issue. We don't see the rock bouncers out this way much.

The Samurai is still one of those marvels. With a little money and parts swaps, these damn rigs were very good.:thumb:

However, we do see more and more buggies than ever before. To be honest, this will be my last full body rig. Building/buying a chassis is cheaper, and by far the easies to get the geometry one needs. Big axles, big tires, LS motor and automatic of your choice...and you can have some real fun.

#11 ·
I have a 2001 TJ bought new. Went from stock 30's to 35's and did the whole mud thing, then went back down to 31's and stayed away from the mud. Threw a lunchbox locker in the front and had a blast as I quit breaking crap. In 2012 I pulled the motor, tranny and transfer case with plans of a chevy 350 running propane, 1-tons and possible tube back half. Been sitting in pieces ever since. New motor lacks rockers, push rods and intake but the bulk of it is done. Unfortunately this project stalled 3 years ago due to lack of funds. Hopefully my new employment will start soon and I can throw a little more money at it.

Reactions: ColoradoTJ
#12 ·
Looks like you were down in the Canadian Riverbed Donny! I have been down there with my TJ. One of my lifelong friends lives in Dumas. He does a lot of drag racing and owns a team.

Totally understand taking the time to build your Jeep. Either pay someone or do it yourself when time and funds allow. Hopefully the new job venture pans out and money is available.

#15 · (Edited)
Absolutely love this!!! ColoradoTJ, you'd be really good friends with my buddy KC.

I do enough trailing and crawling to get there and watch you hardcore guys... I'm that friend that drags it up and flips it back over... the recovery part lol

Respect for you my friend. Bad@$$!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.