Diesel Place banner

Scan tool help

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Olavsen1 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Since you're on a diesel forum, and you never stated confirmation, i'm going to guess your '88 is six2 powered? Or is it a gasser?

There isn't anything to scan on a six2. But if it is a gasser, you'll need a OBDI scanner. OBDII system wasn't in place 'til the '96 model year vehicles were out.

Since i have both pre & post-96 model trucks, i bought the INNOVA 3120 model (iirc the model number). It's a OBDI & OBDII scanner. It's an older unit (had it about 8 yrs i think) never given me any issues, and is updateable through their website.

Reactions: Diaric
#4 ·
Hello !
Yes it is a 6,2 diesel. And my
"service engine soon" lamp is doing some strange flashing. Sometimes it's gone. But most of the time it's flashing. And my glow lamp (wait) sometimes Flash after startup. Have bought new glow relay. So that should be Ok. But i thought that i could buy a scanner And Get some error codes, that could give me some tips on what's wrong with my pickup

#6 ·
Scanner wont do you any good first off because the engine is a mechanical diesel (no computer), second you don't need a scanner for GM OBD1, you just jump two pins turn the ignition on, and the SES light flashes the codes to you.

My guess is you need to drain the water out of the fuel filter, that might be whats setting the light off.

#7 ·
An 88 should have the WIF sensor on the stock fuel filter, correct? (I have never laid eyes upon such a modern 6.2). If so, when he changed the fuel filter it should have fixed any water in fuel problem.

Unless the tank is full of water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.