I am a complete rookie with diesel. I was hoping to start out on the forum with a welcome post instead of a help! post, but life happens. I've been trying to go through other posts for help but I'm a little lost. This van was a wheel chair van and it looks like it was used by a contractor for a while as well. I know the PMD was moved, but I don't know what other modifications were done to it. I was going to start changing fluids and filters this weekend because I do not have any service history on it.
Thank you for any help you can give this Rookie.
1. Describe the problem you are having in detail:
Purchased van on Friday. Worked fine all weekend. Tried to start Wednesday morning and it would not turn over.
Tested battery and replaced. When I turn the key all lights come on. WTS is on for about 13 sec. When I turn the key to start I hear a click and nothing happens. During wts I can hear something running, I assume the pump?
The second battery is missing as is the wiring for it. This van has a wheel chair lift that will be coming out. I think they used the 2nd battery wires for the wheel chair lift pump.
I have tried to check grounds and cables, but as you know, it is tight under the hood. There are three cable ends connected to the positive post, two of which have more then one wire attached. There is also a 100 amp 42 volt cut out on one of the wires.
2. Year of truck/engine. 1998
3. Odometer reading (indicate miles or kilometers). 327000 Miles
4. Indicate the model number on the Injection pump (starts DS4 or DB2......). ?
5. Indicate if you know if it’s a 1500, 2500, 2500HD, 3500, 3500HD. 3500
6. Do you have an EGR on the engine? (An F or an S engine code 8th VIN digit) Yes - F as 8th digit
7. Air Filter condition (visual check). Looks ok
8. Fuel filter condition (freshly changed, mileage since changed). Unknown
9. Location of PMD/FSD
? (ex. on pump/remote over intake, behind bumper). Under van
9a. If remote mounted, describe wiring harness (homemade or purchased from which vendor). Unknown
9b. Indicate the location and condition of the FSD/IP grounding wire. Unknown
10. Outside Temperature (C or F). _____25 °F
11. Service Engine Light while running?- on/off/intermittent Off when it was still working. Comes on while I try to start it.
11a. Service Engine light does glow during start/cranking/bulb check: Yes
12.Have you scanned for engine codes? No, will a car scanner work on this?
12a. List exact results on engine codes
13. Condition of Battery terminals (removed, cleaned and tightened). Tightened
14. Known condition and age of Batteries. 1st battery tested bad. Replaced with a equal CCA battery I had that tested good. 2 years old.
14a. Are batteries a matched set of same age? Second battery is missing as is the wires for it. I think they stole the wires for the wheelchair lift pump that is located nearby.
15. Condition of Major Grounds
(removed, cleaned and tightened) Cleaned and tightened the ground by the battery. Are there other places I should check?
15a Have the batteries been individually
load tested? Yes.
16. Does engine crank, or "turn over"? No I hear a click and nothing happens
16a. Does engine start and run? No
17. If engine does not start- Crack injector line
: do you have fuel?
18. Does your Wait To Start light come on? Yes
18a.Number of seconds WTS light is lit. 13 sec
19. Engine Cranking speed (if you have an accurate tachometer). Does not crank.
20. Are you experiencing Stalling? No
20a. Describe the event (upon startup only, down the road, hit a bump, etc...) Does not start or turnover.
20b. Do you notice loss of dash or instruments? No
21. Check turbo inlet and air filter for obstructions. None I can see.
22. In a no-hot start, pour a bottle of room-temp water on the injection pump. Does it start now? Have not tried.
23. Lift pump test
- Describe results. ? I think I hear it come on during WTS.
24. Upon cold start, does the radiator hose get hard quickly? It did not get hard quickly when I purchased it. (Thank you for the buyers FAQ)
25. Upon cold start, do you have excessive white smoke? White smoke for about 12 seconds
26. Do you have excessive cranking time before the engine starts? Not when it was working.
27. Have you used the block heater? Does it affect engine starting? (only try for starting problems). I have not tried. It is not parked near an outlet. I will have to find a long cord and try.
28. Are all glow plugs in proper working order
? I do not know.
29. During hard acceleration, do you have excessive black smoke? I did not notice any when it was working.
30. Do you have any unusual exhaust smoke issues? No
31. Turbo check out
- Pass/Fail I have not checked this.
32. Indicate fuel that you are using: Bio-Diesel, #2 Diesel, SVO/WVO, other
32a. If running Veggie Oil fuel setup, indicate details of your conversion (homemade or packaged system).
33. Are you using any fuel additives? If so, please list. I did not add any during my only fill-up. I do not know what previous owners did.
34. Upon unscrewing fuel cap, do you have a large vacuum formed in the tank? No
35. Do you have any service history available that might pertain to the problem you are having? No
36. Please indicate any modifications to the vehicle that might help us diagnose better. I do not know what has been done with this van other then moving the PMD.
In one of the posts someone suggested using jumper cables to check the starter. How does that work?
Thank you again for your help.