Diesel Place banner

To 2016 or not to?

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Vertical-escape 
#1 ·
Looking for some advice from owners of 15's or the new 16 Duramax who pull very large campers. I have a 44' Heartland Toyhauler 20,000 lbs loaded. I am looking at upgrading due to needing better braking and an exhaust brake (live near Mtns). Are the new Dmax's getting it done in your opinion? Braking, Power, and Cooling?
Please respond only if you own a new truck.
Thanks

#2 ·
2011 with a 2016 getting picked up this week or next- dealer is adding a few things.
Have hauled my 48 foot TH (24000#'s) all over the Sierras and Rockies. You won't be disappointed. The 2011 was night and day better then my 2007.5.

#3 ·
Not quite as large, my 5th wheel goes over 15,000. My 2015 DRW is a dream machine for towing. I was really impressed with the tow haul/exhaust brake combo. Tap the brakes when exiting a freeway, and it's all but stopped on its own by the time I get to the stop sign.

Reactions: dmax3500
#4 · (Edited)
I appreciate the info! Keep hearing 2017 will be the new generation of Dmax with tighter emissions and hotter running motor, not to pumped about that.

#5 ·
Just thought I would add a little more to the conversation-
The 2011-2016 trucks have far better braking than the pre-2011 models. The chassis is far stronger 2011 up and the truck comes with a pretty darn good exhaust brake.
With 20k in tow your exhaust brake alone will hold your desired speed on declines up to a 5.5 to 6%. Anything steeper than that and you are going to be using the service brakes from time to time. (this is based on my experience towing my rig in the Rockies and Sierras)

The pre 2011 trucks were awesome. But GM took a big step forward in 2011. So much so you will be kicking yourself for not getting one sooner. I can literally leave So Cal or AZ and do 600 miles with my 48 footer and not be wiped out when I arrive. With the older Duramax trucks these trips used to really wear me out. With the LQ horse trailer I can run 1100 miles in a day, get parked, put horses up and enjoy a few cocktails. :)

#6 ·
The 2011-2016 trucks have far better braking than the pre-2011 models. The chassis is far stronger 2011 up and the truck comes with a pretty darn good exhaust brake.......... The pre 2011 trucks were awesome. But GM took a big step forward in 2011. So much so you will be kicking yourself for not getting one sooner.........

Signguy nailed it.
I've had them all (well, I missed the LMM) and the LML had the largest noticeable towing improvement. No need to tune or modify, they are a great tow right out of the box. Heaviest I've towed is 18,500 but I don't think another 1500 pounds would change things much.

#7 ·
I'll add a quick story. On a trip from CA to MO towing at least 18,000# I lost the hydraulic brake actuator on the trailer. Because of where we were I towed through the mountains more miles than most folks would agree with. But keeping my distance and being mindful of speed it really was no problem. The first stop after the failure, before I knew I had a problem, would have been an accident with the '07. Even if I avoided an accident on the first stop, with the '07 I would have parked and towed it.

#8 ·
I know you asked for opinions from owners of 15's or newer but there were no major towing changes from 2011' and up. I personally think you won't be disappointed, my 12' handles my trailer like dream.

#9 ·
Thanks for the input guys, now the next question; buy a 15 or 16?? The 15's have some bigger rebates but I don't want to short myself if 16's are better. Since the dealers only want to talk about what's on their lot I figured someone might know?
Thanks

#10 ·
There is a thread around here somewhere about the changes for 2016. Since I can't remember what they were, they must not have impressed me much. :confuzeld

#12 ·
I pulled the trigger on a new 2016 Denali 3500 DRW. Getting it ready to tow, putting my alum flatbed on it, should be ready soon. I will give you my opinion when I get a chance to latch on to my 44' toyhauler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.