2020 GMC Denail Steering Wheel Shake - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Suspension & Steering - 2020+
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Suspension & Steering - 2020+ Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, street suspension, air ride suspension, steering components, etc. Seventh generation....

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2020, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Shasta
Diesel Boss

Location: Colorado, and sometimes New Mexico, Idaho, Tennessee and Washington D.C.
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2020 GMC Denail Steering Wheel Shake

Decided to start a new thread about this... I'd be interested what others experience with this is. There is some more info here:

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ew-owners.html

I have a 2020 GMC 3500 Denali that has had the steering wheel shake problem since new. It has the factory 20" rims and Crapyear tires. The truck has now been to two different dealers a total four times for resolution of this issue. It seems to be fairly widespread - I drove 4 other identical trucks, and they all had the issue to some degree. Mine was still the worst. It is most noticeable when is there is slight pressure on either side of steering center, like when correcting for road crown, although even on straight center there is still a discernible shake in the steering wheel.

To date, one tire has been replaced (sidewall bulge, not related), all four tires have been balanced and road forced six times, and the wheels swapped front to rear, side to side, etc. The software update was applied (Bulletin #19-NA-240, N192279900), which helped to some degree, however all it does is increase the steering effort, which masks some of the vibration, and tightens up the centering of the steering box.

GM TAC has told the dealer there is no fix for the problem, and they will no longer pay any more warranty claims on my truck for this issue. They are now saying that this is a "normal" condition. The latest dealer has been great, but they are done, as there is nothing left they can do.

GMC Executive Care team has been working with both me and the dealer to try to figure something out. I was contacted yesterday and informed that GM engineering is working "overtime" on finding both the cause and the fix. They have determined that although some tires minimize the issue, it is NOT a tire problem that is causing it, and replacing the tires does not represent either a true fix, or a long term solution. I'm not going to dispute that many have found this to work - just relaying what GM has told me.

I take all this to mean that there is a unsprung weight issue with the 20" wheel / tire combo, there is an inherent balance flaw in the stock 20" rims, or a problem with geometry within the steering/ suspension on the Denali and High Country models. The steering wheel shake is not affecting the ATs with 18" wheels.

Ultimately, I have concerns that GM can't fix this issue, and more so what the long term damage may be to the steering and front suspension because of the constant vibration. I love this truck, but when my hands were literally shaking after a 300 mile drive because of the constant vibration, I think its about time to think about other options.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 Steel Grey, Pewter Leather, Bone Stock - GONE TO LEMON LAND!!

2008 GMC LMM 3500 CC 4X4 Deep Blue Metallic - everything except NAV Thanks GM. (Hope all the ground wires are tight on this one!!) Great truck but time to move up.

2012 Chevrolet LML 3500 CC 4X4 Blue Granite LTZ

2020 GMC Denali 3500. "you can have any color you want, as long as it's white"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2020, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

I would try an alternate set of wheels and tires.
If there is a casting defect within the wheels, rotating them is not going to remedy the shake.

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube Winter Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2020, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Shasta
Diesel Boss

Location: Colorado, and sometimes New Mexico, Idaho, Tennessee and Washington D.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkDually View Post
I would try an alternate set of wheels and tires.
If there is a casting defect within the wheels, rotating them is not going to remedy the shake.

Thanks - Dealer #2 tried a set of Denali take offs, and another set from a truck with 15 miles on it. No difference.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 Steel Grey, Pewter Leather, Bone Stock - GONE TO LEMON LAND!!

2008 GMC LMM 3500 CC 4X4 Deep Blue Metallic - everything except NAV Thanks GM. (Hope all the ground wires are tight on this one!!) Great truck but time to move up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2020, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Towing Dude
Diesel Apprentice

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

You stated that the 18" AT equipped trucks aren't affected? When the dealer tried other wheels and tires, was a set of the 18" tried?
2015 Chevy 3500 Dually CC 4x4, deleted, gooseneck removable hitch, Pullrite Superlight 5th wheel hitch, Linex body protection, Katskin leather interior,tinted all the windows and added high speed Racing stripes!
Proud member # 1156 of the Dually Club!

11 GMC Denali 3500 Black SB/CC 4x4 ( SOLD 09/22/18 )
Firestone air bags Pullrite Superglide 5th wheel 18K hitch Banks exhaust ( hate the looks of the factory )Black tubular running boards Deezee 40 gallon in bed tank , Deleted, LOWERED 2" (REAR) EVERYONE THINKS ITS A 1/2 TON... looks odd pulling the big trailer!

Hauling 2012 BH3585RL Bighorn 5th wheel holiday trailer 15500 gvw, 12018 empty, 2350 hitch weight 38' 3" length 12' 11" high
Old 01-18-2020, 04:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Shasta
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towing Dude View Post
You stated that the 18" AT equipped trucks aren't affected? When the dealer tried other wheels and tires, was a set of the 18" tried?
Neither dealer had one when my truck was there to try. But both had not had any problems reported with the 18" ATs. The second dealer said he'd try the 18s, but I'd have to pay for the labor since he can't warranty anything more on my truck per GM TAC. I told him I'd consider it and to let me know when they get a suitable "donor" truck.

One of the sets they did try had Michelin LTXs. The steering shake was better, but still pretty evident. At this point I am tending to agree with GM that it isn't entirely a tire problem, although the Crapyears are notorious for balance problems and high road force issues. The road force on mine were all below 30 lbs though.

However, there are hundreds of posts across the various forums about problems with the 20" set up, and I've seen none about anyone with the 18" wheels having this problem.

Before I bought my Denali I test drove a 2500 AT with the same Crapyear tires but 18" wheels and the steering felt entirely different, and not a hint of any vibration whatsoever.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
RINGNEKS
Diesel Apprentice

That really sucks your having issues with your new ride. I talked with two contractors today that are doing work for us, both have 2020 3500 gmc’s with the 20” wheels With Goodyear tires, and both said they do not have any shake, but they do not have denali’s. Hopefully you can get it figured and gm steps up. Do you have the heavy duty front springs?

Last edited by RINGNEKS; 01-23-2020 at 10:12 PM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2020, 02:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Shasta
Diesel Boss

Mine doesn't have the heavy duty front suspension according to the RPO list on the door jamb. Still have heard not one word from GM despite promises of a fix, and GM TAC isn't even calling the dealer back.
Pretty frustrating to say the least.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

I'd like to see the alignment spec, especially toe.
A zero toe condition can cause a wander "wag".
Can you describe the vibration better?
In the steering wheel only?
Does it feel side to side?
At what specific speeds?
And, while it is felt in the front, I'd like to see the results of reclocking the outer rear wheels (so both stems are near, not opposite.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association

Last edited by heymccall; 01-28-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Shasta
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymccall View Post
I'd like to see the alignment spec, especially toe.
A zero toe condition can cause a wander "wag".

RO shows 0.15 degrees toe; Camber -0.4; Caster 2.0. Had a pretty good pull to the left and the steering wasn't centered when new. Realignment fixed the pull.

Can you describe the vibration better?

Two things: First - steering wheel "oscillation" (side to side) feels similar to a warped rotor or a tire way out of balance when lightly applying brakes. Definitely feel it when there is slight pressure on the wheel- correcting for road crown for example, and always there. Almost like a buzz. Second - A true death wobble 'light' when crossing bridge expansion joints or RR tracks. Usually corrects itself within a 1/4 mile.

In the steering wheel only? Yes

Does it feel side to side? Yes - steering wheel shakes side to side.

At what specific speeds? 60+

And, while it is felt in the front, I'd like to see the results of reclocking the outer rear wheels (so both stems are near, not opposite.)

Currently within about 15 degrees of each other.

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited by Shasta; 01-28-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Can you put rear stems at 180, give or take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in