Question: Average fuel mileage setting - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Interior
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Interior Discuss upholstery, trim, gauges, etc. No audio & electronics please.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2018, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Icutmetl
Clutch

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Average fuel mileage setting

Rarely sure what subforum to post questions in; here goes-

On the DIC fuel mileage readout, what interval setting does everyone use for their ďaverageĒ reading? 50 miles, longer, and why? Just curious, thatís all.

Last edited by OkDually; 12-18-2018 at 08:58 PM. Reason: prefix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2018, 07:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icutmetl View Post
On the DIC fuel mileage readout, what interval setting does everyone use for their ďaverageĒ reading? 50 miles
I would hate to stop every 50 miles and fill up and check to compare mileage with the DIC.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2018, 12:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Prodigy

The DIC is not all that accurate to worry about comparing.
Just fuel up reset your DIC and drive, when it’s time to fuel up again wheither its 300 miles or 500 miles just fuel up again reset your DIC, hand calculate your mpg and compare.
And repeat this process.
This is the real honest way calculating and reporting mpg results and what people really want to hear.

When you constantly reset it all your doing is getting a average fantasy mpg like a few post these awesome mpg results, constantly resetting on a open flat highway most of the time cruise set, drive a few miles then brag.
Unless your wanting to join and belong the mpg bs fantasy club, do it the way we was taught many years ago, before this ave mpg DIC resetting advantage.

If you pay close attention the ave DIC mpg it will fluxuate up and down quickly, until you get a couple hundred of miles since your last reset.

At this time mine solo city with a little highway 13-14 ave, towing 13,500 lb 5th wheel 9-10 on average.
Notice I’m not saying 13.5, 9.4 even 21.6, when the numbers are pin pointed to the tenth, that’s a pretty good bet it’s bs.
Your not going to get the same exact mileage everytime you fuel up, that’d be a one time miracle.
To many variables driving, stop and go, idling, flat highway up and down grades, wind even better tail wind.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-route
AirDog 4G100

2007 GMC Yukon Denali "BLACK" 6.2 gasser, DIY stock airbox mod, K & N OEM drop-in, Airaid intake tube, EFILive TCM tuned

Last edited by D_R_C; 12-29-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2018, 01:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Snorider
Diesel Fanatic

I rarely reset mine. Last time I reset one was right before I was doing a lot of dump trailer hauling in 4x4 in mud. Lol started off at 7. It's now up to mids 14's and usually hand calculate to 17-19. So for over all average I think it's not to far off. Especially with the idling times ect all factored in

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

06 CCFB 3500 pump rub kit, air dog 4G, class V curt hitch, lots more to come.

04 Chev 2500HD 4x4 with the 8.1L/allision B&W flip hitch.

1993 2500 sliverado 350 nv4500

Not enough pickups for working and playing, but too many when servicing and modding
Old 12-31-2018, 07:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Prodigy

I don’t know how some people got by in life with figuring mileage and worrying about it so much before all this fantasy instant ave mpg computer stuff came with vehicles.
Back in the old days you just accepted what you got, now with the ave DIC they just brag about something they truly don’t get, not tank to tank, only just for the moment.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-route
AirDog 4G100

2007 GMC Yukon Denali "BLACK" 6.2 gasser, DIY stock airbox mod, K & N OEM drop-in, Airaid intake tube, EFILive TCM tuned
Old 12-31-2018, 08:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Icutmetl
Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
I don’t know how some people got by in life with figuring mileage and worrying about it so much before all this fantasy instant ave mpg computer stuff came with vehicles.
Back in the old days you just accepted what you got, now with the ave DIC they just brag about something they truly don’t get, not tank to tank, only just for the moment.
So far, I think everyone that’s replied misunderstood my question. I don’t care what anybody’s average mileage is. I was curious as to what people keep their setting at in the DIC. Right now, mine is at 50mi.

And I know how to do math to get an actual, realistic average.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Quote:
I was curious as to what people keep their setting at in the DIC. Right now, mine is at 50mi
Just out of curiosity, what DIC you have set at 50 miles for “Average fuel mileage setting” I don’t have one of those fancy trucks.
What page are you referring to for setting?
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ers-manual.pdf
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...supplement.pdf

Last edited by Rvn4me; 12-31-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Snorider
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
I donít know how some people got by in life with figuring mileage and worrying about it so much before all this fantasy instant ave mpg computer stuff came with vehicles.
Back in the old days you just accepted what you got, now with the ave DIC they just brag about something they truly donít get, not tank to tank, only just for the moment.
Except don't forget there was people just as crazy about fuel mileage and factoring it tank to tank for their average. Just thats when you went off your analog trip meter LMAO.

Some of the best money ever spent was putting 3 gallons a week into a buddy's new car for a month. He was all excited about his fuel mileage and let everyone know about it. Then the mileage "tanked". And it was pure comedy watching him try to figure out and the poor mechanics that got quizzed over it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

06 CCFB 3500 pump rub kit, air dog 4G, class V curt hitch, lots more to come.

04 Chev 2500HD 4x4 with the 8.1L/allision B&W flip hitch.

1993 2500 sliverado 350 nv4500

Not enough pickups for working and playing, but too many when servicing and modding
Old 01-03-2019, 05:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

Quote:
I was curious as to what people keep their setting at in the DIC. Right now, mine is at 50mi.
Any more info what setting that you have set at 50 miles? Alll your bells and whistles go off every 50 miles? Intriguing mind.

Last edited by G2GBY; 01-03-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Icutmetl
Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2GBY View Post
Quote:
I was curious as to what people keep their setting at in the DIC. Right now, mine is at 50mi.
Any more info what setting that you have set at 50 miles? Alll your bells and whistles go off every 50 miles? Intriguing mind.
Huh??

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in