Steering wheel lights burned out - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Interior
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Interior Discuss upholstery, trim, gauges, etc. No audio & electronics please.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
more.power
Diesel Newbie

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

CT Smoke Member

Steering wheel lights burned out

Has anyone documented the steps to remove and replace the lights in the steering wheel controls? Can these be replcaed with an LED so they don't burn out in 2 years?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
AYR TIME
Diesel Fanatic

There's a thread in do it yourself section...found it...here's the info..

I recently lost 2 of my lights on my steering wheel controls , of course i come to this great sight to find how to remove the housing from the steering wheel . (They pop right out with a little nudging)

Once you have the switch housing out of the steering wheel you will need a small screwdriver to pop off the rear cover to get to the little circuit board . Once opened you will find 2 little micro lamps w/ a blue plastic cover over the bulbs.Take the covers off and save them for later .

The repair for these lights are very simple , you have access to a soldering gun.
The bulbs can be purchased at Radio Shack .They cost me $1.49. the part #is 7219 Micro lamps ,12volt/60 ma bulbs . There are 2 in a pack you will need a pack for each switch

Remove the old bulb from the board, save the little plastic bulb holder and reuse for the replacement bulb . solder to the circuit board and you should be good . Remove any solder that may be laying on the board this may short out a circuit , so be neat when soldering

'94, 27' Chateau 5th wheel
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
CADTECHTOM
Diesel Apprentice

ive always just replaced the switches, but im sure someone has had them apart. as far as getting them out you will need a flat head pocket driver to lightly pry them out. the harness that plugs in is usually short so i use a pick to disconect the connector. once out you can pull some of the slack to make the install a bit easyer

too slow with my responce.....there you go
afe intake, pcv reroute, erg blocker
Escalade handles, tint, eclipse deck
jbl amp and subs under rear seat
Insynerator 3"downpipe, EFI Live,
and transgo JR.

Previous Vehicles
2005 Gmc Sierra Duramax CCSB
2004 Chevy Silverado 6.0L CCSB
2006 Honda CBR 600rr

Last edited by CADTECHTOM; 03-17-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
truckie481
Diesel Nut

CNY Diesel Club Member

I was just living with one out, now I'm off to buy bulbs. Thanks for the info.
06 2500, CCSB, LBZ, Allison, 4x4, towing package, 285 75 R16 BFG AT KO mounted on American Racing Mojave Teflon rims, camping mirrors, Rhino lined bed (over the rails) and rocker panels, 6 step N-fab nerf bars, all on head light mod, Reese 16K fifth wheel hitch, Prodigy brake control, Cab high ARE cap for winter use only, Power service with every fill up.

Cardinal 31ft fifth wheel
" The Lord created whiskey to prevent the Irish from conquering the world! "
BAD AMERICAN #2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-17-2008, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
06Dmaxpwr
Diesel Pro

Send a message via MSN to 06Dmaxpwr

Michigan Oil Burners Member

While your at it, put some LED's in there!

DuramaxTuner.com
Merchant-Automotive.com
Old 03-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
more.power
Diesel Newbie

CT Smoke Member

LED replacements?

Does anyone know if there is a compatible LED that will work in this location? I think LED's have a life of 100,000 hours or something ridiculously high like that. Maybe we could even put in colored ones for effect
Old 03-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
THE TECH
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH

I think wiring LEDs involves using resistors as well, so space could be a bit cramped.

[CENTER]05 LLY - CC SB - Stock[/CENTER]

[CENTER][B][SIZE=4][COLOR=red]BIG THANKS TO NELSON DIESEL PERFORMANCE & NDPspeed!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]
Old 03-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
06Dmaxpwr
Diesel Pro

Send a message via MSN to 06Dmaxpwr

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by more.power View Post
Does anyone know if there is a compatible LED that will work in this location? I think LED's have a life of 100,000 hours or something ridiculously high like that. Maybe we could even put in colored ones for effect
All LED's are compatible, just different sizes, ie. 5mm, 3mm etc. I put blue LED's to match my Autometer guages in pretty much everything including the cluster and also did some white LED's to make the yellow go away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I think wiring LEDs involves using resistors as well, so space could be a bit cramped.
True and not true..... All LED's need to have a set limited voltage depending on source V and diode forward ~V and current etc....there is a different option though

In general you do have to use resistors, you are correct but they do have to micro-resistored LED's that are already built in the resitor chip for space issues. I have ordered 50 so I will let you know how they go but they definately look like they will fit alot better than what i have!

DuramaxTuner.com
Merchant-Automotive.com

Last edited by 06Dmaxpwr; 03-18-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
truckie481
Diesel Nut

CNY Diesel Club Member

I have the bulbs now but it feels like I'm going to break the switch prying it out of the wheel, any tips?
06 2500, CCSB, LBZ, Allison, 4x4, towing package, 285 75 R16 BFG AT KO mounted on American Racing Mojave Teflon rims, camping mirrors, Rhino lined bed (over the rails) and rocker panels, 6 step N-fab nerf bars, all on head light mod, Reese 16K fifth wheel hitch, Prodigy brake control, Cab high ARE cap for winter use only, Power service with every fill up.

Cardinal 31ft fifth wheel
" The Lord created whiskey to prevent the Irish from conquering the world! "
BAD AMERICAN #2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-19-2008, 12:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
banshee1973
Diesel Champ

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

You can get the bulbs at Radio shack but it's a pain in the *** next time I will just replace the switches that go out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by more.power View Post
Has anyone documented the steps to remove and replace the lights in the steering wheel controls? Can these be replcaed with an LED so they don't burn out in 2 years?

Thanks,

Bill

2005 Duramax LLy Banks Ram Air intake,Kodiak mouth piece, Banks exhaust turbo back, Nexus pyro,boost gauges Efilive V2 Trippin Kennedy Lift pumps & filter head, FS-2500 OIL FILTER BYPASS SYSTEM, BILLET FUEL PICKUP, PPE Egr delete kit, Lb7 Riser pipe,
Front Elocker, Rear Tru-trac locker Hid's high and low beam's, Diamond Eye Turbo down pipe,
7" to 9" Cognito lift set at 7" with 6" deavers and Uca and shock hoop's and Fox shock's, Cognito front swaybar and end link's, 18x10 Weld Evo's Xt's. on Toyo M/T open country's 35/12.50 R18
Amp Research Step's. Maxbrake controler, 4.11 gear ratio, Pac exhaust brake Eric Merchant pump upgrade Carli Suspension LONG travel air bags, Road Armor front bumper! Dmaxstore.com performancetruckproducts.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in