Paint work help - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Exterior
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Exterior Discuss body work, frame, molding, paint, etc. No wheels & tires please.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2019, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
CecilTheDiesel
Clutch

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Paint work help

Recently out of any control of my own my dually got hit by an electronically closing security gate that chipped my fender. The bondo job went fine and no major damage. Now on to paint and clear coat. Used rattle cans from dupli-color and waited 9 days before wet sanding. I started just as everything i’d read with my orbital sander and it rolled the paint back to the bare metal. Feeling pretty frustrated about it all. I’m pretty proficient with hand painting but feeling like a failure with spray. Any help would be great.

1996 Chevy C3500 6.5L Turbo Diesel Dually Crew cab
PMD Relocated
Oil Cooler upgrade
Dual thermostat
Upgraded radiator
Dual transmission cooler
Marine injectors
Heavy duty heads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

It's never as easy as the videos look. I wanted to replace a rusted fender and repaint my door, and I started with Duplicolor spray cans, tried doing the fender twice (the whole fender, not doing just a spot), and I was maybe 15 cans into primer, paint and clear, (did it twice IIRC, sanding it down, painting, then sanding it back down and painting it again) and gave up on getting a nice even finish.

Switched to a HVLP gun, bought a bunch of cans of paint, and then repainted the fender 4 or 5 times, and the door 3 times or so before I got what I thought was a good job (in that you are either in the painting industry, or you are specifically looking closely at the paint looking for problems).

This is my thread on doing it:
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76...der-truck.html

It was still expensive, between equipment and supplies, it was somewhere in the $1K+ cdn range (and I already had a good 60 gal air compressor/tank), and I probably could have hired it out for about that money, but I wanted to learn how to do it.

I would suggest either:

1) Hire it out
2) Get a fender/bumper/whatever from a junkyard, similar in shape to what you want to paint, sand down and paint that fender (a similar sized spot), and repeat until you get that test fender looking ok, then do your real part.

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in