Question: wind noise/whistle - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Exterior
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Exterior Discuss body work, frame, molding, paint, etc. No wheels & tires please.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2019, 07:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bonesmech
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

wind noise/whistle

Well, coming up on one year with my L5P. It has it's quirks and the one that is driving me nuts the most is the wind/whistle noise from the center(slightly pass side) of the wind shield. This start about 90kph and intensifies as speed increases or strong winds. This has been gradual, new the truck had no such wind noise even with window vent visors. I have pretty much covered the entire front of the truck with tape hunting for the noise. Onstar antenna resealed, radio antenna removed(with molding removed), windshield completely taped off, hood seams, mirror seams, hvac inlet, hood seal to hvac. Search the internet some more and hood latch. dunno what the fix is for that but I taped off the latch area, no luck. The noise is there whether I have the winter front on or not. Even taped over the duramax allison emblems on the hood. For sh*ts n giggles changed out the cabin filter. Why am I doing this, I have no patience waiting on the dealer. I know how it works, being a former GM tech and Journeyman mechanic. I am reaching out to the ol dieselplace forum for any insight?

The only things I did not fiddle with is the CAI and hood scoop.(not yet)

2018 GMC 3500 CB/SB SLE
In service date April 28 2018
34000KM

Thanks in advance

07 dmax ally cc/sb, gone
17 Canyon 2.8 dmax, unforatunately gone.
18 Sierra, 3500HD Dmax CC/SB SLE

Last edited by OkDually; 01-21-2019 at 08:00 PM. Reason: lv/prefix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
BlackMax Canada
Diesel Pro

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

Yes, I have had some whistling, and my thoughts were the seal between hood and Intake....I've had mine since July 2017 and only have 10,000km on it when I parked it last October. I havent spent much time worrying about it.

2005 Chev 2500 HD LT 4X4 CCSB DMax / Allison
Onyx Black ext, Dark Charcoal interior, Tint
[/CENTER]
Prodigy Brake controller
Merchant Auto Competition Transmission w/transfer case pump rub upgrade and brace.

Cognito Pitman and Idler Arm braces, Stainless SD Tie Rod Sleeves
BOSS 9'2" Poly V Plow
Autometer Ultra Lite II's (boost, pyro, oil temp)
DSP5 / EFI Live Tuning by SPi PCV re-route
Kodiak Mouthpiece
TLFTN Member #34
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2019, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
RINGNEKS
Diesel Apprentice

I found on one of my past trucks the bug shield caused the noise, not sure if you have one or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2019, 09:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bonesmech
Diesel Fanatic

Quick up date, one whistle was the CB antenna. Fixed. Next was the wind shield. I guess there is a TSB about the wind shield being installed to deep and the sill of the cab at the top is proud. Had to install another new windshield from to many rock chips anyways from driving on the ftr.
07 dmax ally cc/sb, gone
17 Canyon 2.8 dmax, unforatunately gone.
18 Sierra, 3500HD Dmax CC/SB SLE
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in