Diesel Place banner

Has anybody Lemon Lawed there LMM?

4K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  Bigred118 
#1 ·
My truck is leaking water into the cab again. I have had it in about 6-8 different times. Based on what I have read about the Lemon Law I do fit within the parameters. I am wondering what I have to look forward to. I have quite a few aftermarket accessories. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Have you had it at the same shop all those times? If so, try someone else. I can not believe that you have this on going issue and no GM shop can help you. With all the mods, you will have to proof that anything you did to the truck did not cause the issue. I know it sucks but they will make you proof it.

#3 ·
yes...I agree. Try a different shop. This is bad luck for sure. A good Tech should be able to figure this out. Ask him about my rusted bumpers.

#4 ·
I have had it at the same shop. It is the same shop that I purchased the truck from. None of my accessories is causing the roof leaking. They have replaced 2 3rd brake light seals and 1 sunroof assembly. I have had the truck in at least 8 times. I have asked for different mechanics, etc. No, I have not taken it to a different dealer.

#28 ·
I have had it at the same shop. It is the same shop that I purchased the truck from. None of my accessories is causing the roof leaking. They have replaced 2 3rd brake light seals and 1 sunroof assembly. I have had the truck in at least 8 times. I have asked for different mechanics, etc. No, I have not taken it to a different dealer.
I didn’t see where you explained where it was wet in your truck. With a sunroof, GM had some problems on the Tahoe’s with the sun roofs leaking. The problem was the drain plug that gets plugged and would leak into the cab. Another problem area is leaking from the AC. The plug on my Tahoe would get turned and not drain properly. The water would leak onto the passenger side floorboard. It took my neighbor who worked for a GM dealership to fix it for me on the side as the dealership I took it to could not find the leak. I know my problems were on a Tahoe not a Truck, but it might be worth a try to get the shop to look into this. There should have been a bulletin on the Sunroof though. Good luck, Hope this helps.

#5 ·
I just finished a lemon law buy-back on my 04 6.0L Excursion and I'm now in a LMM. It took six months to get it bought back and I ended up getting back what I paid for it five years ago. I had 46 aftermarket items on it that I removed and most of the stuff is sold http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80756

The only thing I didn't have to put back on was my exhaust (my wife threw it away) but my lawyer negotiated the Banks I had on in the deal. I had numerous water leaks in mine also that were never ever fixed, it still leaked two weeks before I turned it in. But I had a ton of other problems with the POS 6.0L.

PM me if you want my lawyer's number, it wouldn't hurt to ask him if you have a case. Do you have your OEM parts to reinstall? They will want the vehicle back as close to stock when you turn it in.

#6 ·
Not the stock wheels and the lift wont work with the stock wheels. I have the stock DPF back exhaust. How does it work? Did you receive a check from Ford?

#9 ·
New sunroof already, new seal around the glass because there was too much water getting into the drain track. Luckily this is not my daily driver. I have left it with them for 5 business day twice in the last month and a half. This problem started Feb 09 and was fine until Jan 10'.

#10 ·
Lemon law can all be done without a lawyer-
I did it with my 2004 Ford 6.0 and it took some time- maybe 3 months but I got everything back from Ford including the cost of the bedliner, fifth wheel hitch...
You go through the "BBB" Better Business Bureau. Make sure you have all your documentation and it is very easy. At some point you take a BBB rep for drive/inspection of the vehicle, and have a half hour meeting. GM will never bother to send a rep or anything- they will send a letter. A few days later you will win and then GM will offer you a new truck rather than give you your money back.

It is easy- do it!

#20 ·
A few days later you will win and then GM will offer you a new truck rather than give you your money back.
This is no longer 2004. Pre-Bankrupcy GM was offering cash settlements and no new vehicles or even vouchers toward new ones/trade ins.

An Attorney does take some cash, but, they get results.

I don't think anyone ever made a leak-free sunroof.

You should ask the dealer to get the factory involved. Also think about a different dealer. An important thing to remember is the dealer is NOT GM! They are independent. So asking GM for help via the customer service line can also help.

In any case you can get cash and the problem fixed. Or use the cash to fix the problem. A vinyl top on your truck would be unique and hide the roofing tar used to stop the sunroof leak. :p: (Yes I HATE sunroofs.)

Good luck with it though and remember that not all of them are lemons - just a few...

#12 ·
I met with my dealer yesterday. The local "tech engineer" for GM will be out working on my truck. I had a sit down with the service manager and told him that I am giving it one more try. If it is not fixed this time, I will be filing for the Lemon Law. Here is the list of what had had to be fixed:
-Leak- 8 times(Still leaking)
-door panel warping
-outside door trim crooked from factory-twice(had to repaint door)
-leaking trans cooler line
-undercoating turning to goo(stripped and recoated)
-sunvisors bubbling(both)
-chrome inside door handle

And more that I cannot remember at this time.

#26 ·
Really? Not mine. I've got an '09 Ram that I bought after I wrecked my '07 GMC 2500 HD in the avatar. I wanted another truck like that one, but in Feb & March of '09 there weren't any trucks available and nobody knew if GM was going in the crapper.

I've had my truck in for numerous problems that the dealer either says there is no problem or Chrysler says that's just normal (rear end thunk on take-off and the trans hiccups after extended highway driving plus numerous check engine lights that have cleared themselves by the time I get it to the dealer). I've got a lemon law attorney working on my case since last June. Chrysler originally offered me $2500 to go away, I told them I want all my money back. Now I've got a trial date set for October of this year, but now my "no-cost" attorney says that if we go to trial and lose, I have to pay Chrysler's legal fees! I need a GOOD attorney. I miss my GMC

#14 ·
Contact any 06 or 07 Dodge owner and they will give you the insight into the Lemon Law.....Dodge is buying back plenty of them......

Really? they wouldn't do a thing for me on my 05 i think my lawyer must have worked for chrysler. Still pissed about that 40K.

#16 ·
Yeah, I hope my state is easier. Do you remember the reason that he had to lemon law his truck?

#17 ·
had the low coolant issue and had it worked numerous times at numerous different dealers. got to where the truck would overheat on the interstate constantly and demand him to pull off the side of the highway for it to cool off.

dealerships did everything from simply put coolant in it to breaking the motor down. GM wouldn't even give him a rental car.

#19 ·
I wouldn't wait for them. I have been pretty consistent at calling them.

#23 ·
100% agreed bud

#22 ·
GM is involved. All of the 3500's on the lot had sunroofs when I bought mine. At the end of the day, I really like my truck and I don't want to get rid of it. I just want them to fix the damn thing correctly. This has been ongoing for over a year and 8, now 9 service trips for the same problem. I think that I have been more than patient. I don't want to lemon law my truck. It is getting to the point though that I might not have a choice.......

#25 ·
my 07 gmc got lemoned on 07.
i dont know if it is different in each sate.

here are some things that a vehicle needs to be in order for a vehicle to fall under the lemon law.
vehicle has to have 24,000 miles or less or within two years.
been a the same certified dealer for the repairs in for three times or more. and 30days or more to attempt the fix.
and has to be drivability issue.
thats here in Hi.

i got my truck lemon because there was a abnormal engine noise and reduce power and ac blow warm and trans noise. all within 5,000 miles.
went to stealer for repairs unable to duplicate for the first time. except for ac was fixed.
roadtest with tech to verify concern and was duplicated. they changed some parts went away and reduce power would still occur. so this went on for a while.

i contacted gm after the second visit. to complain and to say i was going to file the lemon law. gm set up a repair date with the dealer for repair. after the truck seemed ok but couple days after same problem. filed for lemon law. and i won and now a have a new truck .

#30 · (Edited)
From someone that has actually done a GM buyback this is what you need to do if you are serious:

Call the GM assistance number in your owner's manual and tell them you want to start the arbitration process. Be prepared to give GM one last shot for the repair, probably at another dealer (which by the sounds of things might not be a bad idea...) They will direct you to the BBB website to fill out the complaint application. BBB is designated arbitrator for GM vs. customers.

Once the complaint is filled out, BBB will contact you and will want you to send in all the documentation that you have - send it ALL to them, along with a letter explaining all your efforts for resolution with your dealer and GM, and why the repairs are not acceptable. The more detail the better.

The BBB will contact GM on your behalf, and attempt a settlement. That process is negotiable, and may take a few back and forth discussions. When you have reached the settlement you can live with, BBB will set up a conference call with GM to confirm the settlement provisions. That will all be documented, and it will be over. It is non-binding arbitration on your part, and you can walk away at any point if you don't think it is working for you.

I attempted to negotiate with GM on my own for a month or better about my truck and the best I could do was a two year extension on my warranty; the truck did not run so that did me little good. After I initiated the BBB arbitration, the settlement was completed in less than two weeks, with GM agreeing to provide a brand new truck, ordered with the options that I wanted. Interestingly, the same GM rep that offered the extended warranty was the one that agreed to the buyback.

Don't go get a lawyer, all that will do is delay things and cost you money. The BBB process is what GM has agreed to provide with the FTC, it is effective, and 100% FREE.

Good luck, and PM me if you need more info.

HTH

#31 ·
Shasta is 100% correct, and I did the same as he did for the most part. The big wig GM guy balked at my asking him for a new vehicle at first, but when an arbitration date was set, they called immediately and we began to get a new truck on the lot for me.

BBB was very helpful as was the Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs. Document, detail, document, detail...the more the better.

#32 ·
Thanks guys. They just picked up my truck to take to the dealer for the service. I hope this gets fixed this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.