LMM: Trailer brake acting up again - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Electrical
FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Electrical Discuss anything related to OEM & aftermarket electrical devices including: stereos, speakers, video, batteries, starters, the body control module, lighting, etc.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2019, 07:34 PM  
Stevis06
Diesel Student

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Trailer brake acting up again

Ok so 2008 duramax, Drw dump body run off dash pto, integrated trailer brake, just over 100k.

Earlier this summer was getting a service trailer brake warning on dash. I ended up putting new relay in, new relay harness pigtail, and new fuse in under hood box 30amp j fuse. Everything was good for a while. Now I got the warning again, so I put another new relay, new itbc computer and a new hand switch in the dash. Still nothing. Dealer reflashed the new computer, did nothing. Then they checked out all the wiring (after they told me it was fine) and said they found a bad wire. Not sure what they did but Iím assuming cut and butt splice. My business partner picked it up and when we put a trailer on it, any tap of the brake foot pedal gives FULL output to trailer brake, instead of rising the output the harder you push the pedal. Donít know what the hell is going on but that lasted about an hour into the ride to the job site when the service trailer brake warning showed up again, and no output whatsoever. Almost a thousand bucks into parts and reflashing and dealer diagnosis and back to square one. Any thoughts? Itís my busiest time of year (excavating) and I need this truck to tow my 12.5k lb excavator. Please help!

Last edited by OkDually; 11-04-2019 at 07:40 PM. Reason: prefix
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 07:40 PM  
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Thread relocated over to "Electrical" for more appropriate responses

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube Winter Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2019, 07:59 PM  
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Firstly, is the truck equipped with the UY2 RPO?
Open glove box and look at production sticker. Is UY2 listed?
2ndly, since it has a dump body, what type of 7 pin plug assy is on there. I mean the back side. Does the plug have screw terminals or a weather seal connector?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191104-185811_Chrome.jpg (30.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191104-185836_Chrome.jpg (30.4 KB, 4 views)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 08:42 PM  
Stevis06
Diesel Student

The 7 way looks like the first pic, the weather sealed one. I also changed that earlier this summer I forgot to mention that. As far as the rpo code, I’ll have to get it tomorrow. Truck is at the dealer since I paid all this money their married to it. They have to guarantee their work and they charged me and didn’t fix the problem so now since they didn’t thoroughly check their work they get to do it for free. However I have a feeling I’ll get it back not working with a shrug from them saying computer diagnostic checks out and says all is good but aren’t physically able to apply real world mechanics to figure out the problem.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:49 PM  
Stevis06
Diesel Student

Just googled the rpo code you mentioned and it made me think back, when we bought this truck it had a 5 pin trailer plug we had swapped out for the 7 pin at the dealer we bought a trailer from. All was good and trailer brake worked great since 2017 up until this summer. The reason I changed the relay pigtail harness is because two different wires were exposed through the jacket and completely corroded. Then they found one more in another part of the harness inside of wire loom protector. I’m thinking there is more corroded wires in there somewhere.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:06 PM  
heymccall
Diesel Elite

The 1st one pictured comes apart and the wires are screw terminal attached inside.
The second one unplugs from the harness and the harness connector looks like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191104-200451_Chrome.jpg (29.1 KB, 3 views)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Old 11-07-2019, 08:10 PM  
Stevis06
Diesel Student

So just got the truck back from dealer... turns out they replaced the abs module and everything is working good now. Output is corresponding to how hard you press the pedal. Thanks for any help. Now time for an oil change and some new rear tires for the plowing season.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:21 PM  
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

Great that they found the problem. I wonder if the ABS light had been displayed on your instrument panel and if there were any stored codes and what they were??

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 11-08-2019, 02:34 PM  
Stevis06
Diesel Student

There was no light on the dash. Not sure if there were any stored codes. They claimed that either I or they may have shorted something out when swapping parts or reflashing the itbc computer, or when they were cutting and splicing wires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in