LB7: How do I troubleshooting oil level sensor. - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Electrical
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Electrical Discuss anything related to OEM & aftermarket electrical devices including: stereos, speakers, video, batteries, starters, the body control module, lighting, etc.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2019, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
whitedog
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

How do I troubleshooting oil level sensor.

I have looked and looked and I can't find information on testing the oil level sensor.

2002 Chevy, 270,000 miles, Edge that is disconnected.

The display keeps telling us that the oil LEVEL is low. (I took care of the low oil pressure warning with an overlay between the sensor and the big connector on the valve cover.)

I checked resistance of the sensor and it showed 1.2 mohms. Compared it to another and it was about .5 ohms. So, put in a new sensor. No joy.

I have tried to find which wire in the connector on the valve cover is the level sensor, but no joy there either. It's a brown wire at the sensor but I don't find a brown wire in the big connector.

Searching on this site, I found a couple of references to a harness for the oil level and the oil pressure, so that has me wondering if there is a dedicated harness from down there up to the big connector, but I seem to recall those two things joining into a bigger harness, but I could be wrong.

As an aside, the ground wire for the GP relay is broken as well, so I'm concerned about a major wear point that has taken out all three of these circuits.

Is there a common place for these to wear and more importantly, where does that oil level sensor wire go?

And just because I've read so many posts asking this, yes I am positive it's the low oil LEVEL warning.

Thanks for any assistance.

If people learn from their mistakes then I'm a full time student.

Last edited by OkDually; 03-29-2019 at 12:18 PM. Reason: prefix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

I would suggest getting a subscription to the full-service manual for your truck from say, alldatadiy.com, or helminc.com, to get access to the wiring diagrams. They'll tell you which connector is at the other end, and which pin it goes to, along with a bunch of diagnostic procedures (some of which may require a tech ii or similar diagnostic software/hardware).

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

There is an oil level sensor located in the oil pan. You will need to drain and remove the oil pan to replace this sensor. Unplugging the sensor will not work, but you can take a jumper wire and place one end to a good ground and then take the other end and connect it to the Brown wire in the connector. May even be able to jumper both wires together with a paper clip to complete the circuit.

Don’t know if this is the only way to test your oil level sensor
Pull the sensor out and manually operate it with a meter hooked up and see what happens.

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...placement.html

Google (duramax how to test engine oil level sensor) lots to read

Last edited by Rvn4me; 03-29-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
whitedog
Diesel Head

I did replace the sensor as mentioned. Jumping the connector did nothing, so I figure there is a broken wire in the harness. I have wiring diagrams for 2006 and 2007, but that didn't help me find the other end of the wire at the big connector.

I did check the resistance of the old sensor when it was out and it showed the same resistance as the new one that I put in even though I read the 1.2 mohms when it was installed.

My next test will be to backprobe the sensor and the other end of that wire once I find where that is. Then I will put a jumper between these two points and see if the warning goes off. This will prove a broken wire. It is the same test that I did with the oil pressure sensor and the glow plug ground circuits.

So, I am hoping that someone knows where the other end of the oil level sensor wire is located before going to Alldata.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

From here https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum...ad.php?t=57509

First pdf in post #3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190329-114430_Chrome.jpg (34.1 KB, 10 views)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Old 03-29-2019, 01:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

On my 2008 model, the brown wire goes to the ECM, pin #9. Green and white wire goes to ground.

Look at the GMUPFITTER.COM site for wiring diagram for your truck. If there is one there the nice thing is that you can do a search for the device you are interested in. Not all PDF files do that.

oil level sensor.pdf

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 03-29-2019, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

There was a significant change in the GMT800 trucks around '03/'04, so (at least, this is my understanding) don't expect the wiring schematics to be the same between an '02 and '06-'07.
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Old 03-30-2019, 09:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
whitedog
Diesel Head

Beers and cheers to heymccall! There it is: A6.

Thank You.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
whitedog
Diesel Head

Aggravation today. Checked continuity on that wire and it showed open. So I back probed the big connector, put a jumper wire in to ground and plugged it all in. Started the engine and there was no low oil level light. Woohoo.

So to prove it, I unhooked the ground and again there was no low oil light. Uhhh, that's not right.

Plugged everything in with no jumper and still no low oil light. But I didn't DO anything.

We'll see how it goes long term.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog View Post
Aggravation today. Checked continuity on that wire and it showed open. So I back probed the big connector, put a jumper wire in to ground and plugged it all in. Started the engine and there was no low oil level light. Woohoo.

So to prove it, I unhooked the ground and again there was no low oil light. Uhhh, that's not right.

Plugged everything in with no jumper and still no low oil light. But I didn't DO anything.

We'll see how it goes long term.
When you backprobe a connection and your problem is 'fixed', it is likely/possible that the connection between the pins in the connector was the original problem and the additional pressure of the backprobe made the connection workable.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in