Best OBDII scanner or EFI live? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Electrical
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Electrical Discuss anything related to OEM & aftermarket electrical devices including: stereos, speakers, video, batteries, starters, the body control module, lighting, etc.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By davester

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
HighSierra86
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

CT Smoke Member

Best OBDII scanner or EFI live?

So, I've read and researched until I'm blue in the face. Need some help here..

I am in the market to purchase a high quality scanner capable of reading and clearing ABS, SRS, and transmission codes on newer GM vehicles. Any other capabilities (body controller codes, 2 way communication, etc.) would be nice but not necessary. We have a fleet of almost 30 (mostly GM) trucks ranging from 1996-2018.

The Tech II option is tempting but I am still confused as to what software package I would need to communicate with all the vehicles we own. Most everything is GM light to medium duty trucks and vans. And would it work with the newer 2016+ vehicles?

EFI live, I cant seem to get a straight answer from anyone as to its diagnostic capabilities. Can it read AND clear the ABS/SRS etc. codes? And do I need a licence for each and every vehicle to be able to do so? Not sure if the scan only option covers all this...

I have seen some other promising programs out there, but it seems most are not compatible with the newer models and the trucks with the Duramax/Allison combo. Both other options are GM specific, so I would be open to another program/scanner allowing me to access other manufacturers as well. Auto-enginuity is one that comes to mind.

Id be happy to hear any opinions on the topic.

Thank you in advance,
Nick

Family business also includes several Duramax/6.5/6.2 and gas powered trucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2018, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

I have Autogenuity w gm enhancement (windows software with a usb-odb ii cable), and it works nice for me. I have a gas truck, but it's supposed to work with the diesel the same, and also has support for a variety of diagnostic and maintenance operations (such as bleeding the abs controller).

But I would suggest phoning/emailing them about your range of vehicles, as I'm not sure if they support the medium-duty trucks or how it works with the newest trucks.

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
HighSierra86
Diesel Apprentice

CT Smoke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
I have Autogenuity w gm enhancement (windows software with a usb-odb ii cable), and it works nice for me. I have a gas truck, but it's supposed to work with the diesel the same, and also has support for a variety of diagnostic and maintenance operations (such as bleeding the abs controller).

But I would suggest phoning/emailing them about your range of vehicles, as I'm not sure if they support the medium-duty trucks or how it works with the newest trucks.
Thank you for the reply. From what I have seen, most users of the program have positive experiences with it. I really do like the ability to purchase different enhancement packages for other manufacturers down the road if needed.

I contacted them yesterday to verify the use in some of our larger medium duty trucks, which they told me it would not even pull codes. Not surprising as it seems this would be a completely separate system purchase from what Ive gathered. I have however, been able to pull codes with my older OBDII reader on most of the said trucks, so at least i know I still have that ability.

Are you happy with using the laptop for the program?

Thanks, Nick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

I'm happy with it in that it functions well, but they could use someone who knows UI to improve it.

It gets annoying to all the parts of a vehicle description every time you start the program, and some of the selections for vehicle model make no sense (for example, for my truck, an '04 Sierra 3500, I couldn't tell if I should select "Sierra" or "Sierra Classic" as the model (the exact text may be slightly different, but the program provides nothing to indicate which to select for what year truck, and you need to select the right one for the program to fully work with the truck)...

I don't use it a lot (my truck's been working pretty well, it wasn't when I bought it), so I find it's a hunting mission to figure out what various operations are, and how to get there.

And I hate using Windows.
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Old 07-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

Check out Blue Driver. Not a full fledged professional grade scanner, but for $100 it will look at several modules, clears codes quickly, displays live data, and works on many different auto setups, not just one. Works on my truck, my Mercedes, my son's Outback, daughter's Buick Enclave, etc.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 07-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
HighSierra86
Diesel Apprentice

CT Smoke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post
Check out Blue Driver. Not a full fledged professional grade scanner, but for $100 it will look at several modules, clears codes quickly, displays live data, and works on many different auto setups, not just one. Works on my truck, my Mercedes, my son's Outback, daughter's Buick Enclave, etc.
Thank you for the suggestion. I have a similar program now, and just like the Blue Driver, it does not work on some of the newer (2015+) GM trucks we have. I would imagine that would be an update in the very near future, but I don't feel like having to visit the dealer in the meantime...

-Nick

Old 07-27-2018, 02:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSierra86 View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I have a similar program now, and just like the Blue Driver, it does not work on some of the newer (2015+) GM trucks we have. I would imagine that would be an update in the very near future, but I don't feel like having to visit the dealer in the meantime...

-Nick

Nick - Just want to clarify your message. Are you saying that YOUR scanner will not work on some of the newer (2015+) GM trucks we have OR that Blue Driver does not work on some of the newer (2015+) GM trucks we have?

The Blue Diver website says that it does work with 2016 Duramaxes (didn't check other years) and I can attest that it works with my 2016 Mercedes. Unfortunately, the website does not tell you year by year which specific computers, other than the ECM, it actually connects to, but it does not connect to EVERY computer on every model. Since newer trucks have more and more computers, that would be the important piece of information everyone needs to know. For example, if it didn't connect to TPMS, that would be one thing; if it didn't connect to ABS or transmission, that might be a deal breaker because I can't check the ABS or transmission systems with anything other than a scan tool of some sort, but I can easily check my air pressure with a simple gauge.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 08-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
HighSierra86
Diesel Apprentice

CT Smoke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post
Nick - Just want to clarify your message. Are you saying that YOUR scanner will not work on some of the newer (2015+) GM trucks we have OR that Blue Driver does not work on some of the newer (2015+) GM trucks we have?

The Blue Diver website says that it does work with 2016 Duramaxes (didn't check other years) and I can attest that it works with my 2016 Mercedes. Unfortunately, the website does not tell you year by year which specific computers, other than the ECM, it actually connects to, but it does not connect to EVERY computer on every model. Since newer trucks have more and more computers, that would be the important piece of information everyone needs to know. For example, if it didn't connect to TPMS, that would be one thing; if it didn't connect to ABS or transmission, that might be a deal breaker because I can't check the ABS or transmission systems with anything other than a scan tool of some sort, but I can easily check my air pressure with a simple gauge.
My current scanner only reads live data and OBD engine codes. It will read codes on the newer trucks without a problem, however I have found some newer foreign cars it wont read. I tried to update the software with no luck.

My scanner does not pull ABS, TPMS, or SRS codes which is what I was really after. Not so worried about the tire pressure ability for exactly the reason you stated. But I DO need the ability to read ABS and SRS codes. Blue driver states the system will not pull SRS and TPMS codes for any of the newer 2015+ GM trucks we own (ie. 2015 2500, 2018 Colorado etc.).

Another point that makes me nervous is they don't seem to always list the diesel engine equipped models when searching for compatibility. I guess it would take a phone call to verify.

Autoenginuity has a much more detailed list of supported features, which seem to include all of the above and then some (if I am reading the list correctly). The system is substantially more money, so I would expect more features. This is the direction I am leaning, however I think for the money, the BlueDriver looks like a great product for most.

-Nick

Old 09-14-2018, 11:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Just Tool'n
Glow Plug

Cant go wrong with a Snap-On Solus Edge.
Great coverage.
Metal Moto 17x8 rims running Bridgestone 35" Tires
Amp Research Running boards
Egr Blocker Plate & Finger Stick
Truck Sold 3-28-19

" Currently Truckless"
Old 10-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
LTS3
Gear Grinder

Has anyone used the blue driver to check injector balance rates

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in