Batteries Dead.... - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Electrical
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Electrical Discuss anything related to OEM & aftermarket electrical devices including: stereos, speakers, video, batteries, starters, the body control module, lighting, etc.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
kcrebel
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Batteries Dead....

Was out of town caring for my Dad and truck sat outside for 5 days untouched. Came back home and hopped in to run an errand and batteries dead.
Deka's were new in 2011 and no issues prior to then.
Put on the charger and it read 8.9 volts and 58%. Left on for about 3 hours and it was fully charged. Alternator replaced a few months ago. Bearing was whining and otherwise still charging but on it way out.
That was yesterday. Drove truck for a couple of hours total yesterday. Truck cranked and ran fine this am. Alternator running 14.4-14.5 with no drops.
Time for new batteries? I would have thought I would get more than 5 years out of them driving it daily for the most part?
What is best battery now?

Fass Titanium 150 soon to be installed|AFE Cold Air Intake/AFE Mouthpiece| Dirty Hooker PCV Valve Reroute Kit |Sinister Diesel EGR Full Delete |AFE 4 Inch Exhaust|18x9 KMC Black Monster XD on Toyo Open Country MT 33x12.50x18| Pioneer AVH-4100NEX w/Backup Camera Interface |Polk Audio Speakers/JLAudio Stealthbox Sub/Alpine Amp|Viper SmartStart | All on Headlight Mod with HIDs and Projectors |LED DRL's run at night with lo beams|
Madjack Racing Fuel Filter Access Door |Full LED Interior/Exterior Upgrades| Fab Four Elite Front Bumper/ Premium Rear Bumper

Last edited by kcrebel; 09-01-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2016, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrebel View Post
Was out of town caring for my Dad and truck sat outside for 5 days untouched. Came back home and hopped in to run an errand and batteries dead.
Deca's were new in 2011 and no issues prior to then.
Put on the charger and it read 8.9 volts and 58%. Left on for about 3 hours and it was fully charged. Alternator replaced a few months ago. Bearing was whining and otherwise still charging but on it way out.
That was yesterday. Drove truck for a couple of hours total yesterday. Truck cranked and ran fine this am. Alternator running 14.4-14.5 with no drops.
Time for new batteries? I would have thought I would get more than 5 years out of them driving it daily for the most part?
Yes, unfortunately I would say time for new batteries..
Average life of batteries is only about 5 years.. Some last longer but most will not.

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
kcrebel
Diesel Nut

Thanks! Next question that I should have asked in OP is which batteries to get?
Edited original post...
Fass Titanium 150 soon to be installed|AFE Cold Air Intake/AFE Mouthpiece| Dirty Hooker PCV Valve Reroute Kit |Sinister Diesel EGR Full Delete |AFE 4 Inch Exhaust|18x9 KMC Black Monster XD on Toyo Open Country MT 33x12.50x18| Pioneer AVH-4100NEX w/Backup Camera Interface |Polk Audio Speakers/JLAudio Stealthbox Sub/Alpine Amp|Viper SmartStart | All on Headlight Mod with HIDs and Projectors |LED DRL's run at night with lo beams|
Madjack Racing Fuel Filter Access Door |Full LED Interior/Exterior Upgrades| Fab Four Elite Front Bumper/ Premium Rear Bumper

Last edited by kcrebel; 09-01-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrebel View Post
Thanks! Next question that I should have asked in OP is which batteries to get?
Edited original post...
I've used Interstate brand with good results.
The Optima Brand is over rated IMO..

I've also used the O'reilly's Super Start brand with good results as well..
1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Old Man
Diesel Head

batteries

Oreilley's Batteries are made by Deca

Last edited by Old Man; 09-01-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

I believe that generally, batteries average around 5 years life, but you might want to check out the truck and see if you have any parasitic draw after it's shut off for a few minutes.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Old 09-11-2016, 11:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
kcrebel
Diesel Nut

Update: Napa Gold Batteries are made by East Penn. I picked up a couple of them. 2 year free replacement and 5 year prorated warranty replacement after that.
All is well!
Old 09-13-2016, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
callie454
Lead Moderator
Bidness is Boomin'!

iTrader Score: 6 reviews

CNY Diesel Club Member

CT Smoke Member

Got Napa aka East Penn batteries in my truck too. My OEM batteries lasted only 3 years...
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ Limited
1958 Corvette Dual Quads, 4 speed
2003 Corvette Z06 ProCharger
Old 09-13-2016, 10:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
kcrebel
Diesel Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie454 View Post
Got Napa aka East Penn batteries in my truck too. My OEM batteries lasted only 3 years...
I got 6 years out of my OEM batteries. I might have gotten longer if it were driven more at the time. It sat for nearly a year in the garage in Michigan. I cranked it every week or so and let it run but didn't drive it during the winter months as I had it tucked into a 2 car garage with my wife's Tahoe.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Sturgeon-Phish
Diesel Boss

I have the advantage that my truck is our third vehicle and as such it will sit much of the winter months. I put a battery tender on the truck when it is going to sit for a while.I’ve been doing this for a few years and it helps the batteries I believe. The cost of running the tender is offset by the batteries lasting longer

2003 GMC 3500 crew dually LB7 NF2 Federal. Onyx Black, Dark Tint & De-badged, Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; Pace Edwards power tonneau. Isspro EGT & Boost. PPE Boost Valve. Mich. LTX A/T2 LT215/85R16. CTS Insight with backup camera, Air Box mod, Stock exhaust no muffler, Fumato drain valve. B&W turnover with Companion 5th wheel platform, Line-X. Hi/Low Beam light mod. 80 watt LED backup lights . Kennedy Single Pump & Fuel Pre-filter (Thanks John). Weather Tech mats. MA Pump Upgrade with new T case rear half. LDS injectors (Thanks Brent). High Idle mod (Thanks Eric) Hopkins Easylift. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel. Member #1078 3500 Dually Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in