2015 remote start upgrade - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Electrical
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Electrical Discuss anything related to OEM & aftermarket electrical devices including: stereos, speakers, video, batteries, starters, the body control module, lighting, etc.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2016, 12:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
benpimpin1
Diesel Rookie

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2015 remote start upgrade

Has anyone done a remote start upgrade on a 2015 truck.

I've got the keyless entry with fob, it looks like gm has a remote start kit to upgrade, but I still think dealer needs to program something. Kit doesn't specify gas vs diesel.

Any body that's done this would love to hear how you did it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

Consider going aftermarket. Unless you have On Star with their cell phone app that can start the truck from anywhere, an aftermarket can give you more range. Also, an aftermarket can be programmed to run longer, the GM max is 10 minutes with one 10 minute restart for a total of 20 minutes. Aftermarket remotes are cheaper if you lose or break one. I would price them both and decide from there.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
benpimpin1
Diesel Rookie

I'd prefer to keep it OEM. Has anyone done a factory upgrade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2016, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
GS340
Self Ignition

I just bought a base 2016 with convenience package, and a few goodies. It didn't have remote start but she has OnStar with 7 inch screen and CarPlay

I asked the dealer and they installed the GM accessory remote start kit but it doesn't work with OnStar. Can't start with my phone via the app. The kit includes to GM fobs with the remote start button.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
GS340
Self Ignition

Pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-17-2016, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
benpimpin1
Diesel Rookie

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be doing this upgrade.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Snapperlicious
Diesel Fanatic

I had a bad experience with aftermarket. Mine would randomly start on its own. Took it back several times for reprogramming but continued to start randomly. Wasn't a cheap one either.
2007 2500 classic crew cab 4x4 lbz, 4in mbrp turbo back straight pipe. Diamond eye down pipe. Resonator removed and capped. Transgojr PPE programmer. Tranny lines replaced alligator performance. Firestone air bags. 162,xxx and counting.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapperlicious View Post
I had a bad experience with aftermarket. Mine would randomly start on its own. Took it back several times for reprogramming but continued to start randomly. Wasn't a cheap one either.
Unless you were sitting on the fob (something I've been known to do!) the only other thing I could think of that might cause that is someone near by having a remote on the same frequency. My wife's Acadia remote used to set the alarm off on a Subaru in our Dr.s office lot all the time. I can't believe it would start without receiving a signal from some source. Do you live by an amateur radio operator by chance?

What brand and model was it so others can avoid it?

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Old 05-18-2016, 10:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Snapperlicious
Diesel Fanatic

Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
Unless you were sitting on the fob (something I've been known to do!) the only other thing I could think of that might cause that is someone near by having a remote on the same frequency. My wife's Acadia remote used to set the alarm off on a Subaru in our Dr.s office lot all the time. I can't believe it would start without receiving a signal from some source. Do you live by an amateur radio operator by chance?

What brand and model was it so others can avoid it?
Definitely wasn't anyone else's remote. It would do it in secluded places with the battery out. Went on for years and I finally ripped it all out and hasn't done it since. It was an avital that cost around 500 bucks back in 08.
2007 2500 classic crew cab 4x4 lbz, 4in mbrp turbo back straight pipe. Diamond eye down pipe. Resonator removed and capped. Transgojr PPE programmer. Tranny lines replaced alligator performance. Firestone air bags. 162,xxx and counting.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
rjk512
Low Boost

I had an aftermarket Viper two-way system installed about a year ago.

The best part about going aftermarket (among other benefits), in my opinion, is the two-way capability which confirms that your signal has been received (as opposed to hitting the button over and over again and not knowing if your truck is on or off), and mine even tells me when the timer is running low so I can reset runtime.

I am very happy with it, blows the OEM capabilities away in my opinion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in