I want a Tech 2, but I'm scared... - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Electrical
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Electrical Discuss anything related to OEM & aftermarket electrical devices including: stereos, speakers, video, batteries, starters, the body control module, lighting, etc.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2015, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fordiesel
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I want a Tech 2, but I'm scared...

I'd like to buy a Tech 2, but with all the Chinese clones that have been created, scuffed up on purpose and sold as a genuine used... frankly, I'm scared I'm going to get fooled.

I don't want autoenginuity... I want a stand alone GM scan tool that will read all of the GM module proprietary trouble codes that are not mandated by law to be open source OBDII compliant emissions related. I want to read chassis codes to diagnose 4WD, I want bidirectionality, I want to make a replacement factory radio work with my VIN, hand my Tech II to an alignment tech while it is on the rack to calibrate the rear wheels for Quadrasteer under my supervision, etc.

I don't need to recalibrate the ECM, or "update" to newer calibrations released by GM, because my vehicle is 10 years old, and I'm happy with how it runs for now, until I repower it with something else when the current motor needs rebuilding.

In that case, I may want a temporary subscription to GM, but don't want to run into troubles because the scan tool I'm using is a clone. I also don't want a fake or otherwise fudged up scan tool doing harm to the modules in my vehicle.

It would be much simpler if all the Tech ii's were manufactured by one source. But even authorized Tech 2's have been made by a variety of manufacturers officially (Vetronix, Bosch, HP, OTC (I think), and other smaller name brands). And even the big name brands moved production to China... where perhaps the same circuit boards that are serialized in the high dollar "official" Tech II scan tools also reside in the eBay clones without serial numbers. Same part. Same quality.

So then what do I have to be scared of?

I'd pay up to $1,000, give or take, for a complete GM scan tool set up that would work for all GMT800's. I'm not looking for any capabilities newer than 2008. Naturally, I'd be thrilled to pay less. I'm only servicing my own vehicle. I just do not want to have to bring my vehicle to a dealer for any reason whatsoever.

It's quite confusing. I need some straight shooting guidance...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
dmax3500
Diesel Ace

go on youtube and look up gm tech2 clones.there is a real good video about what to look for,,i have some ''tis2000'' software,only goes to 2-07 but it can do most of what you want,,ive been looking for a real tech2 for a while,everything ive found is junk or a Chinese clone,be very careful as the clones can/have/will destroy a gm module if the lock-up when testing/or re-programing

Old 12-17-2015, 06:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
c20elephant
Gone but not forgotten member

Fordiesel, did you ever purchase a TECH-II.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2015, 08:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
CarolinaHD
Diesel Technician
Formerly 01silvyz71

NC Dmax's Member

I paid $800 for a genuine tech 2 and candi module this summer. The candi module takes a couple of times to boot up but I think the price was more than reasonable. Keep looking there are deals out there.

Another thing, you'll need the candi module for your vehicle. A lot of people have reported success using just a Chinese knock off Candi and a genuine tech 2. That'll save some $$ and that's what I plan on replacing mine with.

03 LB7/ZF6 Cab and Chassis 11' flatbed
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2015, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
c20elephant

CarolinaHD, where did you purchase the TECH-II from.?

Found this on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/gds/GM-TECH-2-Di...8110787/g.html

This guy posted his phone number at the bottom of his blog, may be worth a call to him...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-TECH-2-SC...-/331602925354

Last edited by c20elephant; 12-17-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
CarolinaHD
Diesel Technician
Formerly 01silvyz71

NC Dmax's Member

From a member off DD, Copperhead Diesel I believe it was. The only reason I got it is because I knew the history of it and trusted those involved. James (Chevy1925) bought it from a friend at the dealership and sold it to Copperhead and then I got it.

Edit. Also the discount price was due to the malfunctioning Candi module.

Last edited by CarolinaHD; 12-17-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
c20elephant

Saw that one, I've been to Sean's shop (CopperHead) out in Mesa, have not met James (chevy1925) but have a had numerous PM's with on DD.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
CarolinaHD
Diesel Technician
Formerly 01silvyz71

NC Dmax's Member

Good deal, you can see why I didn't hesitate to jump on it.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
c20elephant

I snoozed on that one, one good purchase I made was a used V2 with one license left, I don't tune (unlocked tune from Ferman) but I got my speedo dialed in +/-1 mph, does that make a tuner...

Friend of mine has a chinese TECH-II and when I replaced the soft brake lines we flushed the fluid, cycled the ABS controller, flushed again and cycled again. The pedal feels as though it is a brand new truck, not too sensitive, controls well and stops better than expected.

On a side note, afterwards the transmission shifted differently in a good way, not sure how much correlation there is between the ECM, TCM and BCM. Next go round I might reset the TAP's on the transmission.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
CarolinaHD
Diesel Technician
Formerly 01silvyz71

NC Dmax's Member

Good to hear, the abs brake flush procedure was one of the main reasons I got it. Although I've yet to get around to it...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in