Diesel Place banner

Daytime Running Light Longevity

4K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Brad92 
#1 ·
Ok, so for whatever reason my daytime running lights don't last very long. I had one go after 3 months, the other went a month after. I replaced them with stock cheap ones and they went in a similar amount of time. I just tried 3157 silverstars and they lasted 2 WEEKS!!! What the heck... Someone please help me. Could I have an issue beyond bad luck?

#2 ·
Oh I need to figure out my sig... I have an LLY

#3 ·
Still have stock ones in from when I bought it, not really sure what the deal is with yours.

#4 ·
Examine the sockets. If they are not uniformly white with undarkened terminals within, the sockets need replaced. Your friendly GM dealer can look them up. They come with pigtails and shrink type crimp connectors. Never had to do one twice;).

#5 ·
I havent replaced mine in probably close to 2 years.

#6 ·
So you're saying these should be replaced?

#13 ·
So you're saying these should be replaced?

I've seen a lot worse. I'd try a new set of lamps and then, if they pop again in a short time frame, then I'd consider new sockets. 3157LL should last the longest in there.

#7 ·
sig check

#10 ·
actually I thought the stock number was 4114LL. I tried those and I've tried 3157s.

#9 ·
What wattage are the lamps that you are using. Also like stated eariler make sure they are seated correctly.

#11 ·
Its 4114, but most stores don't even carry that size. I have used 3157s with good luck and they are brighter. My 2004 has only burned out one DRL in the 2 1/2 years that I have owned it. The DRL's on my 2002 never lasted long at all, but I disabled them after awhile anyway.

#14 ·
Its 4114, but most stores don't even carry that size. I have used 3157s with good luck and they are brighter. My 2004 has only burned out one DRL in the 2 1/2 years that I have owned it. The DRL's on my 2002 never lasted long at all, but I disabled them after awhile anyway.
:wtf: How are all those people "aiming" :driver::snipersmitheir vehicles down the road supose to see ya?????????

#12 ·
Silverstars have a VERY short life. they look better, but die fast. I got ~50k out of the stock drl's, and changed them as a pair when one died.

#15 ·
I hope you are joking... I am not in Canada, no laws against it. Plus if people need two itty bitty lights to see a large pick up truck in the daytime, then they need their driver's license taken away while being carted away to a sanitarium. I also disabled my automatic headlights for my HID's, FWIW. People should be able to see me period.

#16 ·
I've had good luck with some HYPER WHITE 3157's from wal-mart, they aren't as bright and give off a white-ish blue-ish color, match the HID's very well. I havr them wired to run with my headlights also, so they are on most anytime the truck is running. If they do pop, I will probably go with some LED's from ebay or something

#17 ·
I do a fair amount of highway driving in Canada, and I'd bet that 90% of the trucks that I see coming towards me with a burnt out running light are GMC/Chev. I've noticed this for a few years now, and I've come to believe that there really must be a problem somewhere in that light system. Poor socket, too much voltage, poor quality bulbs, something.

As far as disconnecting them goes, countless studies have shown that people will notice you more if you have them on. Plus, have you ever driven at dusk or dawn, and not turned your headlights on until someone flashed you? Yes, people should see you, but I'd rather go down the road knowing that I've got the best chance of being seen, and avoided.

#23 ·
I do a fair amount of highway driving in Canada, and I'd bet that 90% of the trucks that I see coming towards me with a burnt out running light are GMC/Chev. I've noticed this for a few years now, and I've come to believe that there really must be a problem somewhere in that light system. Poor socket, too much voltage, poor quality bulbs, something.

As far as disconnecting them goes, countless studies have shown that people will notice you more if you have them on. Plus, have you ever driven at dusk or dawn, and not turned your headlights on until someone flashed you? Yes, people should see you, but I'd rather go down the road knowing that I've got the best chance of being seen, and avoided.
I don't care about hearing the DRL sermon. I have only been flashed once this entire year, and that was because I was driving with poorly aimed headlights and HID's. The DRL bulbs are always burnt out and don't put out much light anyway. If its dusk and I can't see my gauges well, I will atleast turn on my parking lights.

#18 ·
bought our 3500 12/1/03 and have only changed 4 bulbs, 2 on the roof, 1 by fuel door, and 1 upfront pass side. They were all the same bulbs. 100,000 miles. Oh yea 2 lights have burned out on the radio controls.

dogboy

#19 ·
Ok, so I don't really want to change the sockets just yet so I went and got some dielectric grease or whatever it's called from autozone... not to carefully slapped some of that in there today and it's working for the moment we'll see how it goes. If it doesn't work i'll give it another shot with a q-tip for a little more careful application... if that doesn't work i'll replace the sockets :-\

#20 ·
6 years and 180,000 miles on my 04 with the original factory DRL bulbs still working. Of course, now that I've posted this, I'll go out tomorrow and find them dead.

#21 ·
Why must everyone brag about how sucky my daytime running lights are

#22 · (Edited)
I guess if they keep burning out you could use one of the 3157 LED replacement bulbs... they cost more, but *shouldn't* have to be replaced. It might also prevent the plastic of the light housing from yellowing on the inside like mine are.

Then again- I'm guessing.... I haven't used the LEDs for that function.

EDIT: I did just run across this while doing some searching-

Bulletin No.: 00-08-42-010A

Date: June 20, 2003

INFORMATION
Subject:
Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) Bulb Replacement

Models:
2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV
1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado Pickup Models
2000-2003 Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban
2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche
1999-2003 GMC Sierra Pickup Models
2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
2001-2003 GMC Denali, Denali XL

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add model information and to announce availability of new DRL bulb part number.

Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-08-42-010 (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

A new 14 volt DRL bulb, PIN 15199562 (trade bulb # 4114K), is now available for use whenever a DRL lamp bulb on the above listed vehicles requires replacement. This more robust, higher voltage DRL bulb replaces P/N 1999482 (trade bulb #.4157K). These bulbs should be replaced in pairs for customer satisfaction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.