Diesel Place banner

Service Trailer Brake System

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  PJDuramax 
#1 ·
I have had this twice now. First time when I hooked up my trailer this message came on. I took to the dealer and they replaced a fuse and relay. I then hooked up again and it worked for a while. Just hooked up again the the same message comes up. I put an electric jack on the front of the trailer and installed a standard batter inside the trailer so it would have enough juice to work the jack. Is there something that might be feeding back to the relay and causing it to blow? I have not taken my truck back to the dealer yet, but would like to get some ideas to see if the battery I put in is causing the problem. I also was reading here that they do not have charging for the extra battery, this will be my next thing to do as it looks simple enough. Any answers would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I do not know what year youe truck is but on my 04 there is a wire for charging the battery in the trailer and one for the electric brake. Have you got it wired properly? Also the battery in the trailer should be charged prior to hooking it up to the truck. The truck will maintain a good trailer battery but it will not charge a dead battery without blowing fuses. Charlie

#5 ·
And you do have to hook up a wire under the hood if you want to charge your trailer battery through the 7-way.

Go here if you need instructions:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234764

Are you plugging in the trailer with the truck ignition off? You need to do that for the computer to see the trailer properly.

If you are doing that I would agree that you have a connection problem in the 7-way that is causing the message.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.