Diesel Place banner

Service Trailer Brake System on DIC WTF??

30K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  rcpd34 
#1 ·
I searched and only found very limited discussion on this message. Does anyone know if there is a TSB on it? I heard a rumor that this is more common on lifted trucks. I leveled mine out, but didn't get the msg for a while later. No codes thrown, just the stupid msg. I haven't even hauled a trailer that has braked yet! Anyone have info on this??

#2 ·
when jonyb installed my remote starter... every once in a while it will come on until i get in and drive about 10 feet then it shuts off... and it dosnt do it all the time just about 1 a week if that... weird.. and abs and everything is still working fine... so i dont know. i know there was a bulletin about it saying not getting proper ground to it or something shorting the ground out causing it but not sure what it is...

#15 ·
mine does the exact same thing, I had the dealer replace the bolt and washer that it called for in the TSB but didnt fit the issue. they also replaced the EBCM and that didnt fix it. I figure it was from the auto start install.

#4 ·
Sorry, can't help at all, the time I got the message my trailer was hooked up but ground wire was removed from trailer, put ground back, and all was fine.

#5 ·
Water/corrosion in the trailer plug front side or, more likely, the rear side where the housing joins the harness. IMHO:D. And in my limited experience with the ITBC.:)

#6 ·
Water/corrosion in the trailer plug front side or, more likely, the rear side where the housing joins the harness. IMHO:D. And in my limited experience with the ITBC.:)
Thanks for the input and I'll check it out, but this is a brand new truck.

#7 ·
My truck started doing the same thing. I just had a second plug added to the rear of the box for a 5th wheel. They used a kit that plugs in between the rear bumper trailer plug. It seemed okay after that and then I removed a Bully Dog PMT that I was trying for 30 days. After I had returned the truck to stock tune the problem started. It did it for a couple days and hasn't done it since. WTF...beats me....I did notice that while the Bully Dog soft ware was returning the stock tune the DIC was alternating between "Service trailer brake and another message.

#8 ·
Just a guess, but since your truck is leveled, is it possible the trailer brake system has a leveling sensor to detect weight on rear axle and corresponding change in rake of truck?

#9 ·
im sorry i didnt see the "trailer" part before i posted... mine isnt about the trailer just the service brake system... disregard my post!!!

#10 ·
Mine started doing this also and I found the male plug on my trailer was not connecting correctly.

#12 ·
Mine did the same thing service trailer brake sys.
came on and off severel times took it to the dealer they had to
replace the module on the inside of the frame above the axle

#14 ·
Hi rcpd34. I was going to send this to you in an email, but it looks like I can just put the TSB on this forum (I hope I'm uploading an attachment correctly). Let me know if this solves your problem.
- Jay
Thanks for the effort, but my truck has the factory brake controller; not aftermarket.

Brian

#17 ·
Water in the back of the trailer plug will result in the same message. Undo the plug from the bumper (release the little tab and rotate) and then unplug the harness from the connector body (push tab and pull connector out). See if the message disappears when the outer trailer plug is taken away? I've had it on both LMM's with ITBCs already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.