Another lucky failure->PS return hose came off - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Suspension & Steering - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Suspension & Steering - 2001 - 2010 Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, street suspension, air ride suspension, steering components, etc. First through fourth generation.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2017, 01:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Another lucky failure->PS return hose came off

The PS return hose came off the outlet from the steering box. Not sure how/why it came off, I'm pretty sure I slid it on good when I replaced the hoses last year, and it has a clamp on it (one of those cheap OEM clamps that you squeeze with pliers to release).

And by "lucky failure", I mean that it came off fairly close to when I parked, as both the power steering and power brakes worked fine when I parked, but power steering was gone when I pulled out (so all the fluid drained out while parked). So the PS pump seems fine, as it wasn't driven any significant time without fluid (yay).

Put the hose back on, filled it up with the ridiculously expensive PS fluid from a gas station, and back in business.

Now I just have to clean all the PS fluid that was sprayed around the engine compartment, and figure out why that hose came off and make sure it is fully on the outlet tube...

And by "another lucky failure", maybe two years ago or so, a rear brake line rubbed against the tire (Russell Stainless Steel flex lines, I bought them as an "upgrade", but they are crappy, lines aren't measured properly, fittings aren't bent like OEM, missing supports, they are craptastic), but the brake pedal failed (went to floor because virtually all the fluid was gone) as I was pulling out of my garage, so I was going slowly and not towing anything, so it still stopped with the brake pedal. If the same thing had happened at speed, say for a stop light, no chance it would have stopped the truck in time...

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109

Last edited by davester; 03-06-2017 at 01:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2017, 04:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Meatstick
Clutch

Sounds like you got lucky. I had a fairly new Napa Pressurized feed hose fail on a Powersmoke Hydroboost system a few years ago running 15000 lbs down the road. Scary... almost ***-ended a semi truck/trailer at highway speed.... On return lines whether it be power steering or otherwise it is common for rubberized line shrinkage to occur over the course of a few heat cycles and I would expect to have to tighten the hose clamps 1 or 2 times after installing. If you still get leakage after tightening by all means find a better product its your life.

Bilstein shocks.
Leveling kit with 285/75r16s
Weathertech Floormats

Pretty much all stock for now
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

The next day I went back and made sure the hose was on good, and it turns out to be the line going to the PS cooler, which I don't recall having to remove to replace the 3 main lines. The hose itself looked completely fine including the inside. I suppose I might have removed it to replace on the other lines and just never got it on good enough...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2018, 03:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

Ugh. This is crazy. That same PS line just came off again.

This time, I had to drive about a mile to get some PS fluid, so the pump is no longer quite as happy to be in use (definitely is whining now).

I know the hose was fully installed, and the fitting as the ridge towards the edge, and the spring clamp has plenty of spring (as it sucked getting it back on).

It's like it is slowly vibrating off over about a year or so.

Tomorrow, I'm taking off the spring clamp and putting on a regular hose clamp.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

Double ugh.

Third year in a row, the hose comes off. I put off putting the hose clamp on, cuz it was really cold, and forgot to do it when it was warm out.

So, once again, it gets cold out (below -20C), and I guess the return hose gets a bit more pressure in it (and, as a pattern, I have just realized it happens soon after I pull a U-turn in the truck).

This time, the spring clamp also came off the hose, and, as luck would have it, I happened to have some hose clamps that were close to the right size, so I put one of them on, so it shouldn't come off again.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

And I'm back.

So, driving around again in the cold (-25C), and again out of PS fluid. The previous issue with the non-pressurized hose (I believe it's the one between the hydroboost and the steering gear) coming off the steering gear fitting didn't happen, the hose hasn't budged with the new hose clamp I put on. Now, I think (it's dark, frikin cold, and everything in the area is covered in PS fluid) it's one of the high-pressure lines to the hydroboost unit (the one that screws into the top of the hydroboost) that has failed now, not totally, it takes maybe 30 min to an hour of driving before the PS pump is begging for more fluid.

All these lines are new from NAPA back in 2016, so this is kind of premature. I'll replace the line tomorrow or Monday, but is there anything that could be causing the system to get over-pressurized, like a screen somewhere that is partly plugged, that only happens when the PS fluid is really cold (and I've only put in name-brand PS fluid, I think it's always been Prestone, and never have put in anything else like ATF)?

In general, both the power steering and brakes feel and work good (brake pedal is maybe a little soft).

Last edited by davester; 02-10-2019 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
And I'm back.

So, driving around again in the cold (-25C), and again out of PS fluid. The previous issue with the non-pressurized hose (I believe it's the one between the hydroboost and the steering gear) coming off the steering gear fitting didn't happen, the hose hasn't budged with the new hose clamp I put on. Now, I think (it's dark, frikin cold, and everything in the area is covered in PS fluid) it's one of the high-pressure lines to the hydroboost unit (the one that screws into the top of the hydroboost) that has failed now, not totally, it takes maybe 30 min to an hour of driving before the PS pump is begging for more fluid.

All these lines are new from NAPA back in 2016, so this is kind of premature. I'll replace the line tomorrow or Monday, but is there anything that could be causing the system to get over-pressurized, like a screen somewhere that is partly plugged, that only happens when the PS fluid is really cold (and I've only put in name-brand PS fluid, I think it's always been Prestone, and never have put in anything else like ATF)?

In general, both the power steering and brakes feel and work good (brake pedal is maybe a little soft).
FWIW, I have been having to go over my lines yearly as well. Mine have never come off, but every line at the booster will eventually start to seep. I replace the o-rings on the psi lines and never over tighten them, that I can tell. And I use the exact right size and material o-rings. They will still seep a little eventually. New o-rings and another year. The low psi side I too added worm gear hose clamps as the spring loaded ones would not hold psi on these low psi side lines. And, the return line from the booster will still always start to seep in a year. I tighten the hose clamp and replace the o-ring on the stud. I really do not know how I can be doing this wrong. But yep, every year or 2 the tiny seep annoys me and I go through it all again. Note that NONE of the connections at the gear ever leak or seep.

NONE of this happened from new. BUT, the high psi lines always leaked from the factory. Not until I replaced all of them did I start having issues with these o-rings and hose clamped parts seeping in a year or so. I assume it must be something I'm doing. But what? If you over-tighten o-rings they will deform or get cut and leak. So I start out snug and tighten a bit more if and when they start to seep. And the hose clamps, no idea how that can be wrong. I tighten them very snug and then if / when they start to seep I tighten them to the point they are gonna break if I go any further.

Idk. I'll watch this thread and see if folks have ideas. I just keep telling myself I guess this truck insists on not keeping all the PS fluid inside. It is super tiny seeps, but seeps nonetheless. Also, I added a ps cooler when I replaced all the lines. Wished I hadn't as it was never needed. And just one more reason that I could be getting all these seeps for at least one at the cooler goes this same tighten, seep, tighten loop. Perhaps it's all more line to push and pull fluid from than designed. I replaced the 2006 OEM booster with a 2011 or 2012 OEM booster.

Obama Spied, FBI Lied But Trump Impeached

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Last edited by mp06011999; 02-10-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

It's not likely you adding the cooler, as my truck came with the PS cooler from the factory... course, I should replace mine, because it's lines are seeping...
Old 02-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
jake111
Diesel Boss

Hey Davester, first let me say how impressed I was with your 2wd to 4wd conversion. I followed it and could see it was something I would never tackle! Knowing you know so much makes me hesitate to clarify a few things, but . . . I will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
... The previous issue with the non-pressurized hose (I believe it's the one between the hydroboost and the steering gear) coming off the steering gear fitting didn't happen, the hose hasn't budged with the new hose clamp I put on. ...
I'm quite sure the line between the hydroboost and steering gear is high-pressure. So, both of the lines on top near the firewall are high-pressure (one from the pump, and one to the steering gear). That's why they should be crimped and not just held with a hose clamp. The third line from the hydroboost, with a hose clamp, is low-pressure back to the pump.

I was having power steering fluid making a real mess. I put in:
- a new pump (nothing wrong with old one but I wanted the improved 2008 pump)
- new hoses (2 high-pressure by Gates and 1 return from the steering gear to the pump, AC/Delco but obviously all 3 hoses were made at the same facility; even had the same help phone number), and
- new hydroboost (old one leaking a lot, and wanted improved 2011 model).

Reading horror stories of bad reman'd steering gears, I paid to have it done (first time anyone else has touched my truck). Supposedly an AC/Delco reman'd gear and so far it is working perfectly (smooth, no slop, no drips).

So, for the first time in a long time, I'm not dripping power steering fluid!! We'll see how long that lasts.

I re-used the spring clamps on the return hoses. Now you're trying to scare me!!

(Added note: Davester and MP . . . I know how we (yeah, me too) are, but I've decided you have to be okay with seeps, as long it doesn't drip. A coating on the hose really is not that bad!)
TxC V2 aux radiator w/Fan (leaked after 12 yrs), engineer837 aux rad , TxC CAI, LBZ MP, Scangauge II, Nicktane aux filter head, KD lift pump, 2008 PS pump, 2011 hydroboost, Frederico Swaybars, Rancho 9000XL, Torklift StableLoads, BFG AT/KO2, Lance 835 Camper often in the bed.

Last edited by jake111; 02-10-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

There's 2 pressurized lines connected to the Hydroboost, and 1 non-pressurized one, and I'm using the correct, pre-formed, crimped lines, it's not some hack-job.

I'm going through the FSM, and I think the non-pressurized line from the Hydroboost is going to the wrong part (the manual shows it goes to the PS pump, but I believe currently on the truck, it's going to the steering gear). I'll trace all the lines and compare them with the manual to get them to the right spots.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in