Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Suspension & Steering - 2001 - 2010 (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/80-suspension-steering-2001-2010/)
-   -   LBZ: whatever these are they don't look good - mounts? (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/80-suspension-steering-2001-2010/500610-whatever-these-they-dont-look-good-mounts.html)

HotButteredLBZ 07-27-2013 10:34 PM

whatever these are they don't look good - mounts?
 
2 Attachment(s)
While doing my oil change today, I noticed these. What are these?

They sure don't look good. Only 30k miles on truck -- surprised/disappointed these are so fried.

Two pics -- one on drivers side facing toward front of vehicle, one on passengers side facing toward front of vehicle.

I'm guessing the repair is beyond my mechanical skills and tools. So what am I looking at $ wise on this repair? And is there a better solution than whatever this crappy OEM material is made of?

Thanks!

TEXASCOASTIE 07-27-2013 11:21 PM

Jounce bumpers AKA bump stops go to dmaxstore.com new Z71 pointed style are like 50 bucks. One 15 mm nut hold them on 10 min job tops.


Sent from AutoGuide.com App

rodknocker 07-28-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEXASCOASTIE (Post 4978562)
Jounce bumpers AKA bump stops go to dmaxstore.com new Z71 pointed style are like 50 bucks. One 15 mm nut hold them on 10 min job tops.


Sent from AutoGuide.com App

What he said. I replaced with the Z71, noticeable difference

HotButteredLBZ 07-28-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEXASCOASTIE (Post 4978562)
Jounce bumpers AKA bump stops go to dmaxstore.com new Z71 pointed style are like 50 bucks. One 15 mm nut hold them on 10 min job tops.


Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Thanks Texas! You've pointed me in the right direction. Glad I'm not looking at big $'s for a repair. Doing searches and coming up w/ quite a bit of info.

Looks like the way most people are going is the Z71 pointed style as you say. Have seen anyone actually confirmed the material difference, if any, between the two types? I'm sure as heck not going back w/ the original type. 30k miles on my 7 year old truck -- they must have disintegrated b/c of the air.

Any step by step install instructions anywhere? Can I do this w/ truck on ground or do I need to jack up?

Loader 07-28-2013 02:20 PM

Jack it up to get the weight off it, one nut and the old one will fall out. Replace and repeat on the other side.

blkdmax05 07-28-2013 02:25 PM

Moved to suspension and steering

b_r_a_d_79 07-28-2013 04:46 PM

is your torsion bars lowered? It looks like the reason this happened is because the truck is always riding on them. I may have been told wrong but I was told to try to keep space between them and arm when dropping my front end.

HotButteredLBZ 07-28-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_r_a_d_79 (Post 4980218)
is your torsion bars lowered? It looks like the reason this happened is because the truck is always riding on them. I may have been told wrong but I was told to try to keep space between them and arm when dropping my front end.

Frankly, I don't know -- how can I tell?

HotButteredLBZ 07-28-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loader (Post 4979858)
Jack it up to get the weight off it, one nut and the old one will fall out. Replace and repeat on the other side.

Thanks, Loader. To confirm, jack up one side off the frame until the front wheel is off the ground -- yes?

HotButteredLBZ 07-31-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotButteredLBZ (Post 4980970)
Frankly, I don't know -- how can I tell?

Anyone able to help me figure out if my bars have been cranked?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
© AutoGuide