LBZ: whatever these are they don't look good - mounts? - Page 3 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
 
Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Suspension & Steering - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Suspension & Steering - 2001 - 2010 Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, street suspension, air ride suspension, steering components, etc. First through fourth generation.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
c20elephant
Gone but not forgotten member
 
c20elephant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Phoenix, Az.
Posts: 2,582
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

If the bars would have been cranked you would have a large gap. If anything the torsion bars are sagging with age. The only way to know for sure is to know the factory ride height spec. which is the distance between one of the control arms and the full extension metal stop . To make you tires last the longest have the alignment done.

__________________
~ Mike H ~
2006 EXTENDED CAB LONG BED
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
HotButteredLBZ
Diesel Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Milton/Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 388
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c20elephant View Post
If the bars would have been cranked you would have a large gap. If anything the torsion bars are sagging with age. The only way to know for sure is to know the factory ride height spec. which is the distance between one of the control arms and the full extension metal stop . To make you tires last the longest have the alignment done.
Ah, ok -- cranked means large gap. Alignment here I come.

__________________
2006 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ LT, Fire Engine Red
Purchased April 2013 with 25k miles; 62k miles as of Feb 2016 | DSP5 by Idaho Rob (extra mild tunes; running enhanced stock tune for EGR block) -- 4/1/14 | Edge CTS, EGT probe and Dash Pod -- 4/1/14 | Kennedy twins, wire harness and MEGA filter (soon) -- 3/XX/16 | MA pump upgrade kit -- installed 9/7/13; refilled w/ Transynd | Double drain, double pan drop and refill w/ Transynd on 8/17/13; double drain on 12/14/15 and refill w/ Transynd | Suncoast shallow pan filter lock -- installed 8/17/13 | Nicktane adapter -- installed 8/4/13 | Z71 jounce / bump stops -- installed 8/4/13 | Front wheel bearings replaced at 60k Jan 2016
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #23 (permalink)
paoutdoorsman
Diesel Boss
 
paoutdoorsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 997
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

What differences in handling/suspension characteristics do the Z71 jounce bumpers provide over the standard bumpers. Seems everytime I read one of these threads, guys just say they are 'Better'. Better in what way?
__________________
2007 Classic Chevy 2500HD LBZ LT CCSB
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #24 (permalink)
HotButteredLBZ
Diesel Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Milton/Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 388
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paoutdoorsman View Post
What differences in handling/suspension characteristics do the Z71 jounce bumpers provide over the standard bumpers. Seems everytime I read one of these threads, guys just say they are 'Better'. Better in what way?
Not sure I can answer your question technically but I can say they did improve my ride. It still rides like a 3/4 ton truck but the front end seems to ride a bit smoother. Worth the effort in my opinion to replace.

That being said the old Oem ones were toast and looked to be made of a hard "foam". The z71 ones are made of some sort of poly. I'm not sure if I would have seen the same ride improvement by going back with Oem or not - guess i will never know.
__________________
2006 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ LT, Fire Engine Red
Purchased April 2013 with 25k miles; 62k miles as of Feb 2016 | DSP5 by Idaho Rob (extra mild tunes; running enhanced stock tune for EGR block) -- 4/1/14 | Edge CTS, EGT probe and Dash Pod -- 4/1/14 | Kennedy twins, wire harness and MEGA filter (soon) -- 3/XX/16 | MA pump upgrade kit -- installed 9/7/13; refilled w/ Transynd | Double drain, double pan drop and refill w/ Transynd on 8/17/13; double drain on 12/14/15 and refill w/ Transynd | Suncoast shallow pan filter lock -- installed 8/17/13 | Nicktane adapter -- installed 8/4/13 | Z71 jounce / bump stops -- installed 8/4/13 | Front wheel bearings replaced at 60k Jan 2016
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #25 (permalink)
Lazy03
Self Ignition
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 87
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

CV angle?

From the looks of it, your front differential cv is higher than your wheel bearing center. This would indicate your truck has been lowered.

When the torsion keys have been cranked up, the differential is noticeably higher than the wheel center and the front drive axels slope noticeably down. Your axles are parallel with the ground or maybe even angled up towards the wheel. Your truck has been lowered not lifted if I see the pictures correctly.

There is an alignment spec called Zheight. It is measured from the ground to the bottom of the torsion key mounting bar, however taller tires are going to throw this factory spec out of wac.

Just crank your tbar adjusters till there is about 1/4 inch between each bumstop and arm. You can then measure from ground to frame and see if each side is the same.
__________________
2003 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Ext. Cab Duramax Allison. 285's, Quad 70HP, Banks Exhaust.

Last edited by Lazy03; 08-30-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
c20elephant
Gone but not forgotten member
 
c20elephant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Phoenix, Az.
Posts: 2,582
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Thanks Lazy03, the 1/4 gap at the jounce/bumpstops/whatcamacalits. My old school front end mechanic told me the same thing and this is why, let the torsion bars and shocks do their jobs that 1/4 amounts to at least an inch or more of travel at the wheel centerline and makes for a smoother ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (141.1 KB, 201 views)
__________________
~ Mike H ~
2006 EXTENDED CAB LONG BED

Last edited by c20elephant; 08-30-2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: n
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
HotButteredLBZ
Diesel Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Milton/Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 388
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy03 View Post
From the looks of it, your front differential cv is higher than your wheel bearing center. This would indicate your truck has been lowered.

When the torsion keys have been cranked up, the differential is noticeably higher than the wheel center and the front drive axels slope noticeably down. Your axles are parallel with the ground or maybe even angled up towards the wheel. Your truck has been lowered not lifted if I see the pictures correctly.

There is an alignment spec called Zheight. It is measured from the ground to the bottom of the torsion key mounting bar, however taller tires are going to throw this factory spec out of wac.

Just crank your tbar adjusters till there is about 1/4 inch between each bumstop and arm. You can then measure from ground to frame and see if each side is the same.
Thanks, lazy03. I think you may be right. I had my truck in to the dealership for the install of the MA pump upgrade kit and had them do the alignment while it was there. The tech came back out and asked me if the front had ever been lowered and said that the jounces were riding on the lower control arms. He raised it back up. I checked his work and noticed that the drivers side had a 1/4 inch gap between the jounce and LCA and the passenger side was still touching. I asked him about that and said that he could not crank it anymore or it would be out of spec and must have something to do with the frame.

Then he asked if the truck had been pulling (can't recall which direction) because one of the wheels was out of whack.

Well on the way home I noticed the truck was pulling to the right pretty hard. I was straight as an arrow before the alignment so something is definitely not right. I'll be heading back to get them to correct it.

I guess all else being equal pulling to the right make sense b/c the drivers sides, as judged by the gap between the jounce and lca, is higher the passenger side.

Any thoughts on what might be the issue?

The gap between the top of the tire and the bottom of the wheel well is definitely bigger than before and looks to be equal to the rear wheels. I'm not sure if that right or not -- other 2500's on the road don't look to have equal gaps on the front and back.
__________________
2006 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ LT, Fire Engine Red
Purchased April 2013 with 25k miles; 62k miles as of Feb 2016 | DSP5 by Idaho Rob (extra mild tunes; running enhanced stock tune for EGR block) -- 4/1/14 | Edge CTS, EGT probe and Dash Pod -- 4/1/14 | Kennedy twins, wire harness and MEGA filter (soon) -- 3/XX/16 | MA pump upgrade kit -- installed 9/7/13; refilled w/ Transynd | Double drain, double pan drop and refill w/ Transynd on 8/17/13; double drain on 12/14/15 and refill w/ Transynd | Suncoast shallow pan filter lock -- installed 8/17/13 | Nicktane adapter -- installed 8/4/13 | Z71 jounce / bump stops -- installed 8/4/13 | Front wheel bearings replaced at 60k Jan 2016
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #28 (permalink)
c20elephant
Gone but not forgotten member
 
c20elephant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Phoenix, Az.
Posts: 2,582
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

The dealers and other shops that use the laser guided gizmo gadget watchamacalits to set these front end do not impress me at all. My opinion, these front ends need to be set by the seat of the pants with your mitts on the wheel and sometimes by the weight you have in the bed of lack of, mine had around 1800 lbs. I have been fortunate with two old school front end shops where I live, one retired over 10 years ago and the other shop has two brothers. They knew what the specs were BUT set the front end by the way it drives down the road.

The one with the two brothers goes like this. Pull into the small lot, one will walk up to you and ask couple questions take your keys and drive around block. Pull it over the 30x40 pit set the front end if you have no worn parts. Had the dealer set my 07 2500HD gasser 3 times while under warranty and still drove like a snake on the highway. When I had the brothers shop align it straight as an arrow.

The gap you are talking about is correct and should be equal, mine was raised quite a bit when it was done. Has the truck ever been in a serious front end accident? Are the torsion bars sagging? If you know some one at a bank they can pull a car fax sheet for free or pay for it online to see your trucks accident history.
__________________
~ Mike H ~
2006 EXTENDED CAB LONG BED

Last edited by c20elephant; 09-08-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #29 (permalink)
HotButteredLBZ
Diesel Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Milton/Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 388
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c20elephant View Post
The dealers and other shops that use the laser guided gizmo gadget watchamacalits to set these front end do not impress me at all. My opinion, these front ends need to be set by the seat of the pants with your mitts on the wheel and sometimes by the weight you have in the bed of lack of, mine had around 1800 lbs. I have been fortunate with two old school front end shops where I live, one retired over 10 years ago and the other shop has two brothers. They knew what the specs were BUT set the front end by the way it drives down the road.

The one with the two brothers goes like this. Pull into the small lot, one will walk up to you and ask couple questions take your keys and drive around block. Pull it over the 30x40 pit set the front end if you have no worn parts. Had the dealer set my 07 2500HD gasser 3 times while under warranty and still drove like a snake on the highway. When I had the brothers shop align it straight as an arrow.

The gap you are talking about is correct and should be equal, mine was raised quite a bit when it was done. Has the truck ever been in a serious front end accident? Are the torsion bars sagging? If you know some one at a bank they can pull a car fax sheet for free or pay for it online to see your trucks accident history.
When I bought the truck the carfax was clean.

Not sure how to know if the torsion bars are sagging or not. Is there a way to measure that?

Maybe the tech just missed something. Either way I'll be discussing w/ the service manager and making sure this is done right or my money is refunded.
__________________
2006 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ LT, Fire Engine Red
Purchased April 2013 with 25k miles; 62k miles as of Feb 2016 | DSP5 by Idaho Rob (extra mild tunes; running enhanced stock tune for EGR block) -- 4/1/14 | Edge CTS, EGT probe and Dash Pod -- 4/1/14 | Kennedy twins, wire harness and MEGA filter (soon) -- 3/XX/16 | MA pump upgrade kit -- installed 9/7/13; refilled w/ Transynd | Double drain, double pan drop and refill w/ Transynd on 8/17/13; double drain on 12/14/15 and refill w/ Transynd | Suncoast shallow pan filter lock -- installed 8/17/13 | Nicktane adapter -- installed 8/4/13 | Z71 jounce / bump stops -- installed 8/4/13 | Front wheel bearings replaced at 60k Jan 2016
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #30 (permalink)
c20elephant
Gone but not forgotten member
 
c20elephant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Phoenix, Az.
Posts: 2,582
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotButteredLBZ View Post
When I bought the truck the carfax was clean.

Not sure how to know if the torsion bars are sagging or not. Is there a way to measure that?

Maybe the tech just missed something. Either way I'll be discussing w/ the service manager and making sure this is done right or my money is refunded.
Maybe some one else will chime in, if your T-bar bolts are bottomed out to preload the tension that might be a good indicator they have lost their spring.....here is a picture of mine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0029.jpg (29.8 KB, 162 views)
__________________
~ Mike H ~
2006 EXTENDED CAB LONG BED
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LLY: Windows,door locks don't dont work and don't shut off properly 20duramax05 Electrical 22 01-05-2013 11:55 PM
WTB 98 engine oil cooler line bracket that mounts to the motor mounts &/or GM part # jrsavoie Closed / Archived Marketplace Ads 1 11-06-2010 02:23 PM
WTB 98 engine oil cooler line bracket that mounts to the motor mounts &/or GM part # jrsavoie Closed / Archived Marketplace Ads 0 11-06-2010 01:24 PM
Gauge mounts in LMM?? Other than pillar mounts 2006GMCDuramax Interior 4 12-12-2009 01:03 AM
Broken transmission mounts/broken engine mounts chtucker Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010 7 09-11-2007 02:07 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
© AutoGuide