Tool For Torsion Key??? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Suspension & Steering - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Suspension & Steering - 2001 - 2010 Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, street suspension, air ride suspension, steering components, etc. First through fourth generation.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
LMS2707
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Tool For Torsion Key???

what is the best toll for installing the green key????

sorry im canadian and i speek french !!!!!excuse my english.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
jawaring
Diesel Head

these are pricey but there are a couple different types...
http://www.fatbobsgarage.com/cart/pr...g-357-154.html

Attached Images
File Type: jpg torsion unloading tool.jpg (34.3 KB, 116 views)

Block/Stick, Tony's PCV kit, Aux. pre OEM fuel filter- DIY setup, Predator- modified stock tune (tires and top speed), MBRP SS 4" downpipe-back exhaust w/ 6" tip, Leveled w/ Bilstein 5100's, Cognito Pitman and Idler Supports, Full driveline synthetics
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Soupys 4X4
Diesel Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Soupys 4X4

I have used a gear puller a couple times in the past it works pretty good too, that or a bottle jack with a bolt on the end. It lifts up the truck a little, but gives just enough room to remove the keeper. Bottle jack is definitely not to safe though.
2003 Silverado 2500HD LB7 rc/lb 4x4 / PPE Hot+2 / PPE boost fitting / Jeg's 4" exhaust w/6" tip / Merchant's Stage 3 Transmission w/Precision Industries converter / SD sleeves / Cognito P/I arm Braces / Fabtech 6" w/35's
Regular Cab Club Member #67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
txmikem
Diesel Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to txmikem Send a message via Yahoo to txmikem

Lone Star Diesels Member

I rented a puller from Autozone for $40 + tax (the cost to buy it). It came with 3 arms but it's adjustable and can be made into a 2 arm which is what you'd need. The guy said I could use it for as long as I needed, I could even keep it. If I return it, they just give me my money back. I thought it was a pretty cool deal myself. The tool worked very well. My only problem was, once I unloaded, I for the life of me couldn't pull the torsion bar out of the key. Any ideas on best methods for getting the key out once it's loose?

2004 Silverado 2500 HD LB7/Allison, Black, CCLB LT 4x4, Leather, PPE Hot Race (+120 hp), A-Pillar triple gauge kit, K&N, MBRP 4" TB w/ Muffler Delete, Green Keys + 3" blocks in rear, stock shocks, BF Goodrich 285/75R16 MT, 140k miles
Old 05-12-2008, 11:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
06DuramaxLBZ
Glow Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmikem View Post
I rented a puller from Autozone for $40 + tax (the cost to buy it). It came with 3 arms but it's adjustable and can be made into a 2 arm which is what you'd need. The guy said I could use it for as long as I needed, I could even keep it. If I return it, they just give me my money back. I thought it was a pretty cool deal myself. The tool worked very well. My only problem was, once I unloaded, I for the life of me couldn't pull the torsion bar out of the key. Any ideas on best methods for getting the key out once it's loose?
Very large hammer! Maybe even some PB Blaster soaking into it for a few hours before using the hammer for impact maintenance.
06 LBZ Duramax. 8" lift, 37" rubbers, Fleece Performance 71.5mm Cheetah turbo, EGR delete tube, Airdog liftpump, ARP head studs, blowing head gaskets sucks, PPE Hot +2 turned all the way up, and a Merchant Auto trans to keep it moving forward as fast as possible.

Other toys.....
2001 Corvette Z06. T-Rex cam, full exhaust and intake, 500+ rwhp
2011 GMC Sierra. 5.3 liter gasser, makes for a good work truck
Old 05-13-2008, 07:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
txmikem
Diesel Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to txmikem Send a message via Yahoo to txmikem

Lone Star Diesels Member

Tried the hammer method with no luck. Tried WD40 (it's all i had). My next guess is heating it up? I plan to try again on Wednesday.

2004 Silverado 2500 HD LB7/Allison, Black, CCLB LT 4x4, Leather, PPE Hot Race (+120 hp), A-Pillar triple gauge kit, K&N, MBRP 4" TB w/ Muffler Delete, Green Keys + 3" blocks in rear, stock shocks, BF Goodrich 285/75R16 MT, 140k miles
Old 05-13-2008, 09:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
ABQFirefighter
Diesel Boss

I have one that you could use. All I ask is you pay for shipping both ways and throw some beer money in on the way back. This offer is good for anybody that needs an actual TB tool. Several members have taken me up on this offer. It beats having to buy one and then have it sit around after one use (like mine). Just PM me if you have any questions.

See the garage for pics of the toys and the old rides......

New Mexico DP club member #13
Old 05-13-2008, 10:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
jawaring
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQFirefighter View Post
I have one that you could use. All I ask is you pay for shipping both ways and throw some beer money in on the way back. This offer is good for anybody that needs an actual TB tool. Several members have taken me up on this offer. It beats having to buy one and then have it sit around after one use (like mine). Just PM me if you have any questions.
Man, I'll keep that in mind. I almost bought one but ended up not needing to remove the keys. If I ever do, that would sure beat buying one! Thanks!!

Block/Stick, Tony's PCV kit, Aux. pre OEM fuel filter- DIY setup, Predator- modified stock tune (tires and top speed), MBRP SS 4" downpipe-back exhaust w/ 6" tip, Leveled w/ Bilstein 5100's, Cognito Pitman and Idler Supports, Full driveline synthetics
Old 05-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
MUD SLUT
Diesel Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to MUD SLUT

Illinois Diesel Power (IDP) Member

Midwest Smokers Member

Use a c-clamp or make your own. Done it both ways several times.
37x13.50x17 OPEN COUNTRY MT's on WALKER EVANS BEADLOCKS
TRANSGO JR
EFI LIVE DSP5 SOON!
AUTOMETER TRIPLE POD + COBALTS--EGT, BOOST, FUEL PRESS
BD "FULL BORE" MANIFOLD from TBYRNE, PPE MODDED AIR INTAKE
MBRP DOWNPIPE BACK EXHAUST NO DPF, NO CAT, w/ DUAL 6" MITRE CUT STACKS from DSTRBD
AMP STEPS from NORCAL NICK
DUAL ODYSSEY PC1500 BATTERIES,"ALL ON" MOD, DU-HA UNDERSEAT STORAGE, PAINTED EMBLEM, SIDE MOLDINGS GONE, ORU DIFF COVERS
FAB FOURS BUMPS, WARN 16.5TI, DUAL 480Cs, 9 GAL TANK, CUSTOM LONG TRAVEL SEMI AIR BAGS, ISIMPLE IPOD CONTROL, DIVERSI-TECH 11" DROP HITCH AND MORE
DURAMAX PARTS FOR SALE IN MY GARAGE
Old 05-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Soupys 4X4
Diesel Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Soupys 4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmikem View Post
Tried the hammer method with no luck. Tried WD40 (it's all i had). My next guess is heating it up? I plan to try again on Wednesday.

Ya i had to heat the bottom side of the key up to be able to get the keys off mine, they came off hard even then.

2003 Silverado 2500HD LB7 rc/lb 4x4 / PPE Hot+2 / PPE boost fitting / Jeg's 4" exhaust w/6" tip / Merchant's Stage 3 Transmission w/Precision Industries converter / SD sleeves / Cognito P/I arm Braces / Fabtech 6" w/35's
Regular Cab Club Member #67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in