L5P: Rotella T4 15W40 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Maintenance & Fluids
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Maintenance & Fluids Discuss products, techniques, intervals, and fluids for maintaining your GM truck including oil and oil additives, fuel and fuel additives, alternative fuels (Bio-D, SVO, WVO), filters, grease, and maintenance specific tools.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By oldschoolbowtie
  • 1 Post By Oregonnovaguy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2019, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
rdg
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Rotella T4 15W40

I will be changing the oil in my L5P Dmax for the first time, because I have used up my two (2) free dealer oil changes. From reading several user posts, it appears the L5P is easy on oil just like previous generations of Dmax engines.

The recommended oil viscosity is 15W40 in the Dmax or 5W40 for low temperature applications. Since I live in the South, I will be sticking with conventional 15W40 for year-round use. Rotella T4 15W40 is the oil that I am considering, and I would appreciate any feedback from current Rotella T4 users on how this oil has performed in the Dmax.

Last edited by OkDually; 11-02-2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: prefix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
dangerfield69
Self Ignition

Found using Rotella I had more typewritter tick than Delvac, so I run Devac not Rotella

Old 11-04-2019, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
HWI
Clutch

Rotella has worked well for me. I have heard others state, like dangerfield69, they have more pronounced typewriter tick with Rotella than other brands. For my truck this has not been the case. I have used both T4 and T6 without issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
rdg
Low Boost

I appreciate the followup...thanks.

It appears that the infamous Dmax typewriter clicking various from engine to engine. I have read that HDEO brands sometimes affect the typewriter click. Some users have issues with certain brands while others do not have issues at all. So, it's a random occurrence, and it's not relegated to just one brand of HDEO.

In terms of Rotella T4, it's the protection it provides as well as the lack of oil consumption that is of primary importance.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

On my 07 Classic first oil change I asked the dealer what flavor of oil they used for our Dmax’s and they couldn’t tell me offhand. That convinced me to buy my own oil to take in for oil changes so I new what’s going in.
Rotella T4 15W40 Was my choice and has worked well. Buy it at TSC 2 1/2 gal. when on sale for $30
I also bring in my own ACDelco filter and save another $10

Last edited by Rvn4me; 11-07-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2020, 07:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
oldschoolbowtie
Diesel Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdg View Post
I appreciate the followup...thanks.

It appears that the infamous Dmax typewriter clicking various from engine to engine. I have read that HDEO brands sometimes affect the typewriter click. Some users have issues with certain brands while others do not have issues at all. So, it's a random occurrence, and it's not relegated to just one brand of HDEO.

In terms of Rotella T4, it's the protection it provides as well as the lack of oil consumption that is of primary importance.

Rotella is all we ever used on farm

2007.5 3500HD Silverado LTZ
Kennedy Custom Tune Banks Intake and 4 " exhaust, Air Dog 150, Leveled front end, aftermarket upper control arms, tie rod end sleeves, bypass oil filter, Pusher 3" "hot side" charger tube, aFe Turbo inlet pipe, PPE deep Trans Pan with temp gage, 2 low mod for front differential disable, PACBRAKE 5000# Air Bags with remote on board air...otherwise stock

1953 Chevy truck 496 2 NOS kits ...otherwise stock

1927 Roadster 383 2 NOS kits chassis car (street legal)// otherwise stock
Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
timweidner
Low Boost

These guys -- 6.6L Duramax Engine Oil Change| Oil Selection Guide & Oil Change Procedures -- seem to be convinced that Amsoil heavy duty 15W-40 full synthetic is the only way to go, but maybe Amsoil is a paid sponsor of their site?

Anyone else have experience with Amsoil or any other full or partial synthetic oil?
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdg View Post
I will be changing the oil in my L5P Dmax for the first time, because I have used up my two (2) free dealer oil changes. From reading several user posts, it appears the L5P is easy on oil just like previous generations of Dmax engines.

The recommended oil viscosity is 15W40 in the Dmax or 5W40 for low temperature applications. Since I live in the South, I will be sticking with conventional 15W40 for year-round use. Rotella T4 15W40 is the oil that I am considering, and I would appreciate any feedback from current Rotella T4 users on how this oil has performed in the Dmax.
It's what I used almost exclusively while it was my daily driver. Since it's dropped down to less than 6,000 miles a year, I run any synthetic diesel oil of 15W or 5W - 40. Now, I change it every year or longer worry free, going by the DIC time to change or as 2 years is near (often with less than 6,600 miles on it). But I would not suggest this long of time intervals for folks whose trucks are in more humid environments where moisture can build up just from the ambient air.

In that time, I probably have to add 1 to 2 quarts.

And I know that the age old debate over oil brands will live on long after I don't. But I still ask folks, "when was the last time you (or anybody you know) had to replace an engine because you used the wrong brand of engine oil.

I find it a meaningless debate, but I wanted to play anyhow

I don't want to brag... but this is like the 5th "End of the World" I've survived.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Old Today, 01:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Oregonnovaguy
Diesel Pro

Here is a test of long (one year) oil change. Also a good comparison of Rotella T6 against Delo 400 XSP. Spoiler: The Rotella won. In a previous test, Rotella T6 beat Mobile 1.

https://youtu.be/T-yt5a1cWd4

2007.5 Silverado LTZ / Z-71, 4x4, Crew Cab SB, Silver Birch/ Ebony Leather, , 150k + miles, , etc. Gearbox Z, Air Lifts
Montana High Country 310RE
My Other other Car: 70 Nova SS 350, 4 speed, posi, Fathom Blue, frame-off resto, original owner!
Previous Trucks: '03 Silverado CC gasser 4x4, '99 Sierra Ext. Cab 4x4, '77 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4, '76 Datsun 620.

Read the DISCLAIMER in my garage.
Old Today, 01:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonnovaguy View Post
Here is a test of long (one year) oil change. Also a good comparison of Rotella T6 against Delo 400 XSP. Spoiler: The Rotella won. In a previous test, Rotella T6 beat Mobile 1.

https://youtu.be/T-yt5a1cWd4
Knowing they both "passed", I feel even better about my routine. Thanks

I don't want to brag... but this is like the 5th "End of the World" I've survived.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in