Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Fluids (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/64-maintenance-fluids/)
-   -   Dexos 2 ??? (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/64-maintenance-fluids/978368-dexos-2-a.html)

Jaybeecon 08-30-2019 09:02 PM

Dexos 2 ???

So total confusion here: 2019 2.8 Duramax oil change. Specifies that it ONLY uses Dexos 2 certified oil. For clarity, this is a blue label that has a swirly label with a small '2' followed by the word "Dexos.

I've found Dexos 1 (gen 2). This is a green label. The green Dexos 1 is listed for use in gas engines.

Basically, all the auto supplies I've been to this evening have no clue as to what Dexos 2 is or if any of the Dexos 1 gen 2's are compatible. I found a list on the internet and found some of the compatible oils on the list, but am wary of putting oil labeled"for gasoline engines" into my diesel. Will try to find an open Chevy parts place tomorrow morning but in the meantime - does anyone have a clue about this stuff?

I'm sitting here with a truck with no oil in it. Only figured out that I may have the wrong stuff as I was pouring the new oil in and realized that what I thought was a '2' was actually the stylized logo.

OkDually 08-30-2019 09:29 PM

Here is a link with some info:
https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos2/index.html

Jaybeecon 08-30-2019 09:34 PM

Yeah - I found that one. Found a few that were on the list. Only on the actual bottle it's rated as the green Dexos 1 and listed for gas engines.

Do I trust the internet or the bottle?

OkDually 08-30-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybeecon (Post 9844918)
Yeah - I found that one. Found a few that were on the list. Only on the actual bottle it's rated as the green Dexos 1 and listed for gas engines.

Do I trust the internet or the bottle?

If the vehicle requires Dexos 2 only use that.

Dexos 1 was found to be inadequate in the use of the 2.8L and caused catastrophic engine damage so they reformulated it to Dexos 1 Gen 2.

Dexos 2 is more of a stout lubricating oil than Dexos 1 Gen 2..

Jaybeecon 08-30-2019 10:09 PM

So is Dexos 1 gen 2 = to Dexos 2?

I've got the Dexos 1 gen 2. Just not sure if it's the right stuff. So far, nobody has any labeled as Dexos 2. Feel like an idiot - this is just an oil change and should not be this complicated!

OkDually 08-30-2019 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybeecon (Post 9844924)
So is Dexos 1 gen 2 = to Dexos 2?

I've got the Dexos 1 gen 2. Just not sure if it's the right stuff. So far, nobody has any labeled as Dexos 2. Feel like an idiot - this is just an oil change and should not be this complicated!

Everything that I read so far states the Dexos 1 Gen 2 is for gasoline engines and the Dexos 2 is formulated for Diesel.
There are many articles on this at the Bobistheoil guy website

Jaybeecon 08-31-2019 02:29 PM

OK, closed this out with a trip to the Chevy parts counter this morning. Got an actual Dexos 2 product. If anyone is looking, the 5W30 is part number 10-9129 19354306. It is specifically a Dexos 2 and is specifically made for the 2.8 Duramax engine.

Longest 10 minute oil change in my life! But I'm ready for next time.

cwq21 09-04-2019 07:44 AM

Searching by year, make, model and engine, this is from the O'Reilly site.

SAE 5W-30 C3; 1 Quart; Meets GM Dexos 2 Motor Oil

It shows they can get it from their distribution center. I'm sure other parts stores can too.

btexpress 09-06-2019 10:15 PM

For those that want to be picky, the proper spelling is "dexos"