oil ? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Maintenance & Fluids
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Maintenance & Fluids Discuss products, techniques, intervals, and fluids for maintaining your GM truck including oil and oil additives, fuel and fuel additives, alternative fuels (Bio-D, SVO, WVO), filters, grease, and maintenance specific tools.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
david1012
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

oil ?

2019 Duramax 2500hd

is Amsoil 15w-40 heavy duty diesel oil approved for this engine.. thx, new to diesel's.

Last edited by OkDually; 07-25-2019 at 06:07 PM. Reason: sig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2019, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
chevmen
Self Ignition

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

It would tell you the specification in your manuals. 15w 40 good for the summer. In winter they recommend 5w40 because it is thinner for the cold weather. But just check your specs in the manuals they gonna tell you.
cheers

Old 07-27-2019, 01:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Lead Moderator
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

moved to maintenance and fluids
2017 3500HD CCLB Black on Black LTZ Loaded L5P, Banks Derringer with I dash, Ranch Hand bumper with 18K superwinch talon, Curt 20k puck hitch, 60 gallon aluminum transfer tank with electric pump, Onan Quiet Diesel 5500 for extra weight in the bed, Cooper STT PRO 285/65R18 and Vision Manic wheels. 2nd set of tires and wheels, Cepek Trail Country EXP 285/65R18 on Ultra Predator II Black/Machined 18x9

2018 Solitude 310GK fifth wheel with a 12' Haulmark tag trailer to haul toys in.

1997 Jeep TJ, Currie 8.8 high pinion axles front and rear with ARB air lockers, 4.56, 5 on 5.5 with warn hub kit, Atlas II transfer case with Klune V doubler, 4 inch Currie Lift and 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ on 15x10 Mickey Thompson wheels, Ramsey 9500 winch, hydraulic ram assist steering, on board welder and on board air, custom aluminum fuel tank.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2019, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Amsoil 15w 40 API CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4+, CF

You do know where to look for API on containers?

Yes, Have you read your (Duramax Diesel Owner’s Manual Supplement) Page 127
Engine Oil (6.6L 8-Cylinder Engine)

Engine oils with the letters CJ-4 or CK-4 are required for your vehicle. The CJ-4 or CK-4 designation can appear either alone or in combination with other American Petroleum Institute (API) designations, such as
API CJ-4/SL. These letters show API levels of quality. To determine the preferred viscosity for your vehicle's diesel engine, see Engine Oil page 91.

Last edited by Rvn4me; 07-27-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Ninja

I toyed with Amsoil long ago and it IMO it is snake oil. The made a lot of claims including being better than this rating or that but did have the certifications to back up the claims with excuses of it being a long expensive process bla bla bla. Maybe things a different now, but bottom line for me is if it doesn't have this with all the right alphabet soup on the label

I say no thanks.

2008 Chevy Crew Cab LT2 2500HD
Summit White

1800W Xantrex Prosine Inverter & third battery
Lovin my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires
RAP (Retained Accesory Power) How-To
RetroSolutions Super Bright Reverse Bulbs

Last edited by diesail; 07-27-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ted White
Diesel Champ

Oil changes are INCLUDED for the first two years so you don't need to worry about oil yet.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
RDP
High Compression

2 each total oil changes included in first 2 years. I change my oil at 5000 miles / or 6 months, 1 at home, 1 at the dealer for the 1st 2 years. Don't forget to have the dealer grease the 9 grease zerks on the front suspension, they won't do it unless you ask!
Old 07-27-2019, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ted White
Diesel Champ

Everyone is free to spend their own money however they want, but if you were to send an oil sample for analysis at a place like Blackstone Labs you would see that changing the oil any time before the oil monitor says to do it is actually a waste of money.

All of my Blackstone Lab tests since 2008, on 5 different trucks up to model year 2019, have all shown that there is at least 10% life left in the oil even when the oil monitor reaches zero at 12,000 miles or more.

Besides which, when has a dealer ever asked you whether you EVER changed the oil when you do a trade in?? Changing the oil at 5000 miles was important in the 1950s and 1960s, but today's oils and engines can EASILY go 12,000 miles between changes.

I'd rather spend my money on something else than oil changes that I don't need to do.

Do a lab test and prove me wrong.

Last edited by Ted White; 07-27-2019 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Add a few words
Old 07-27-2019, 04:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ted White
Diesel Champ

Here's a link to a YouTube video of a GM chemical engineer talking about the myth of mileage specific oil change intervals

Old 07-28-2019, 02:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
RDP
High Compression

I agree with you that if you drive your vehicle everyday that the oil is still good, but I also personally believe that the if your vehicle sits for 3-10 days between uses like mine that the contaminates stick to bottom of the pan and other areas where the oil pools causing a buildup of contaminates on the surfaces. Short trips in a vehicle when the engine never gets up to operating temperature is a extreme service condition that I think requires more frequent oil changes. Kinda like why I change the oil in my lawn mower in the fall before storing it. I appreciate your input and comments.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in