Question: PF2232 Filter - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Maintenance & Fluids
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Maintenance & Fluids Discuss products, techniques, intervals, and fluids for maintaining your GM truck including oil and oil additives, fuel and fuel additives, alternative fuels (Bio-D, SVO, WVO), filters, grease, and maintenance specific tools.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Desert DMAX

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Desert DMAX
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

PF2232 Filter

Does anyone have recent experience in using or information regarding the most recent internal design change of the ACDelco PF2232?

I just bought a new PF2232(12691158), and have noticed, that there appears to no longer be a bypass spring inside the filter.

I usually buy an extra filter to rotate as a spare, and for the next future use, to keep in my fluids box.

The current PF2232(12677108) in my fluids box, that I intend to install next, has a spring on the inside at the bottom.

So, my question is, with the design change of no visible spring on the inside, what are the Pros and Cons, if any, of using the newer PF2232(12691158) that appears to have no internal spring but in the springs place, what looks to be either a piece of paper or plastic cap?

Thanks.

Bilstein 5100 Shocks;
-#F4-BE5-D146-HO Front
- #F4-BE5-D147-HO Rear
N-fab Black Nerf Bars
AlphaTherm AT37GM
Banks(Speed)Brake w/Switch
Mobil 1 5w-40 TD Oil Used
B5 Fuel was used, then HPR Fuel Used, now back to #2 w/lubricity formula added

Last edited by OkDually; 04-07-2019 at 03:26 PM. Reason: prefix/title adj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mikey52
Diesel Student

Go to the duramax forum. There, a member has an oil filter shootout, where he cut open an analyzed the innnards of about 10 different filter brands. Baldwin came out on top.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 06:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
TheBac
Bac To The Future

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Sounds like they've cheapened the 2232 filter. Probably a different mfg (sounds like Fram -- ugh), which is not a good thing. Time to change to another brand I guess.

"BBT" -- 2003 GMC 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 - 12.14 @ 111.15
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Cruzer" -- 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Marlene (Molly) Bacon -- 1936 - 2019 -- RIP Mom
You're missed both at home and on the piano

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Reality is a matter of perspective.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
MyShibby65TD
Diesel Head

Considering Mobil1, Fram, ACDelco, and STP have all moved to the plastic/nylon bypass valve it's debatable if it's "not a good thing". More than one company wouldn't be doing it if it was bad or a liability.

ACDelco are made by Champion labs last I checked, wouldn't surprise me if STP and others were too. I believe Fram only makes Fram.

I have yet to see proof of the plastic/nylon bypass valves failing.

SOLD 1993 6.5L TD K2500, EC/LB, 4x4, Auto, 252,000 miles
4" DE, trans cooler & 8AN lines, 10AN oil cooler lines, nylon fuel lines, AD244, LB7 fan, Medallion marine injectors, OPS relay, glow plug override, OPS override

Last edited by MyShibby65TD; 04-12-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Desert DMAX
Diesel Apprentice

I installed a Baldwin B1441. It has an internal (metal) bypass spring.

All is well.

I returned the ACDelco PF2232 with internal (plastic) bypass.
Bilstein 5100 Shocks;
-#F4-BE5-D146-HO Front
- #F4-BE5-D147-HO Rear
N-fab Black Nerf Bars
AlphaTherm AT37GM
Banks(Speed)Brake w/Switch
Mobil 1 5w-40 TD Oil Used
B5 Fuel was used, then HPR Fuel Used, now back to #2 w/lubricity formula added
Old 04-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

If a person changes their oil and filter when they should, and their engine is healthy, is there really a need for a pressure relief valve in an oil filter? How would a person know if their pressure relief valve was ever used/activated?

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 04-15-2019, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
MyShibby65TD
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post
If a person changes their oil and filter when they should, and their engine is healthy, is there really a need for a pressure relief valve in an oil filter? How would a person know if their pressure relief valve was ever used/activated?

Filter bypass valves are to relieve a pressure differential within the filter (inlet has too much pressure compared to outlet). This is useful for cold climates when oil is thick at sub zero temperatures and doesn't like to flow easily. Without it the filter could cave in on itself, or at the least distort the pleat folds. The valve will open slightly and momentarily to get oil flowing, dirty oil is better than no oil. In warm and hot climates it probably doesn't get used much.

I suppose you could mark the valve some how. If it opened see if the mark moved. Not sure how exactly that could be done without possibly introducing something bad into the engine.

SOLD 1993 6.5L TD K2500, EC/LB, 4x4, Auto, 252,000 miles
4" DE, trans cooler & 8AN lines, 10AN oil cooler lines, nylon fuel lines, AD244, LB7 fan, Medallion marine injectors, OPS relay, glow plug override, OPS override
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in