Question: Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 CK4/SN - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Maintenance & Fluids
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Maintenance & Fluids Discuss products, techniques, intervals, and fluids for maintaining your GM truck including oil and oil additives, fuel and fuel additives, alternative fuels (Bio-D, SVO, WVO), filters, grease, and maintenance specific tools.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2019, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
rdg
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 CK4/SN

I would appreciate feedback and comments on the current API licensed CK4/SN formulation of Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40. I understand that Delvac is still the factory fill for the L5P Duramax diesel. I just had my first free dealer oil change in my 2017 Duramax.

The past CJ4 formulation of Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 has performed well in the Dmax based upon user comments/feedback posted both here and on BITOG. I have used the CJ4 formulation of Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 with good results in my 04 Duramax.

Fast forward to today, and the current formulation of Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 CK4/SN is a universal, mixed fleet heavy duty engine oil. The current formulation has reduced phosphorus levels (800 PPM) making it suitable for use in gasoline engines (SN designation) as well as diesel engines (CK4 designation). Mobil is claiming a 20% wear protection improvement over the previous CJ4 formulation and 50% more wear protection than required in API CK4 engine tests. This is all well and good; however, it would be good to hear comments from Dmax owners who have experience using the current formulation of Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 CK4/SN.

Last edited by OkDually; 03-31-2019 at 05:27 PM. Reason: prefix/sig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
walleyerod
Self Ignition

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdg View Post
I would appreciate feedback and comments on the current API licensed CK4/SN formulation of Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40. I understand that Delvac is still the factory fill for the L5P Duramax diesel. I just had my first free dealer oil change in my 2017 Duramax.

The past CJ4 formulation of Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 has performed well in the Dmax based upon user comments/feedback posted both here and on BITOG. I have used the CJ4 formulation of Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 with good results in my 04 Duramax.

Fast forward to today, and the current formulation of Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 CK4/SN is a universal, mixed fleet heavy duty engine oil. The current formulation has reduced phosphorus levels (800 PPM) making it suitable for use in gasoline engines (SN designation) as well as diesel engines (CK4 designation). Mobil is claiming a 20% wear protection improvement over the previous CJ4 formulation and 50% more wear protection than required in API CK4 engine tests. This is all well and good; however, it would be good to hear comments from Dmax owners who have experience using the current formulation of Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 CK4/SN.

I have used Delvac 1300 15W-40 for over 200,000 miles on my LMM. Have had a dozen or so UOA performed by Blackstone and according to Blackstone, engine has no excess wear and has settled in just fine - no concerns of any kind. In fact, they would tell me every time to run it another 2500 miles and sample again - I never did, always changed it at 5,000, give or take.

In addition, I contacted Blackstone a few months ago and asked them which oil do they typically see perform the best, least wear, best overall protection, best long life TBN, etc. etc. There answer was that over tens of thousands of samples submitted, they see no significant difference in wear, protection, etc between any of the top brands. Pick one.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in