LML: Brake fluid Dot 3 or Dot 4 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Maintenance & Fluids
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Maintenance & Fluids Discuss products, techniques, intervals, and fluids for maintaining your GM truck including oil and oil additives, fuel and fuel additives, alternative fuels (Bio-D, SVO, WVO), filters, grease, and maintenance specific tools.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2019, 01:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Brake fluid Dot 3 or Dot 4

My master cylinder on my 2012 has a small leak where it bolts to the hydro booster. I'm going to be replacing my master cylinder and flushing the brake system. I would like to know if anybody has upgraded their brake fluid from Dot 3 to Dot 4 and if so what brand. I'm looking to switch to ATE 200 fluid.
Does anyone know if Chevy still using Dot 3 in the new trucks or did they switch to Dot 4.

Last edited by OkDually; 01-23-2019 at 08:13 AM. Reason: prefix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76...s-dot-4-a.html
Page 10-32 your owners manual
Use only new DOT 3 brake fluid from a sealed container. See Recommended Fluids and Lubricants on page 11‐13.
Page 11-13 your owners manual
Hydraulic Brake System DOT 3 Hydraulic Brake Fluid (GM Part No. 12377967, in Canada 89021320).

This is mentioned a lot
You can absolutely use DOT4 in place of DOT3 brake fluid. The only thing you'll need to do is completely purge the system of the old DOT3

There’s not really that much difference between the two in boiling point etc...

Google differance between dot3 and dot4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax Dually View Post
Chevy still using Dot 3 in the new trucks or did they switch to Dot 4.
Yes, Dot 3 Page 361
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ers-manual.pdf
The brake master cylinder reservoir is filled with DOT 3 brake fluid.

Last edited by Rvn4me; 01-23-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2019, 05:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
oldschoolbowtie
Diesel Nut

I just put DOT 3 back in mine

I figured they would not have plastered it all over the manual if it did not matter

in reality it probably doesnt

2007.5 3500HD Silverado LTZ
Kennedy Custom Tune Banks Intake and 4 " exhaust, Air Dog 150, Leveled front end, aftermarket upper control arms, tie rod end sleeves, bypass oil filter, Pusher 3" "hot side" charger tube, aFe Turbo inlet pipe, PPE deep Trans Pan with temp gage, 2 low mod for front differential disable, PACBRAKE 5000# Air Bags with remote on board air...otherwise stock

1953 Chevy truck 496 2 NOS kits ...otherwise stock

1927 Roadster 383 2 NOS kits chassis car (street legal)// otherwise stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

I replaced my master cylinder and fluid last weekend. I flushed and bled the system and used ATE Typ 200 Dot 4 fluid. I just ordered an Autel MaxiCheck Pro scan tool so I can actuate the ABS module to flush and auto bleed the ABS system and brakes again this weekend.

Last edited by Dmax Dually; 02-05-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
snopro
Clutch

Quote:
I replaced my master cylinder and fluid last weekend. I flushed and bled the system and used ATE Typ 200 Dot 4 fluid. I just ordered an Autel MaxiCheck Pro scan tool so I can actuate the ABS module to flush and auto bleed the ABS system and brakes again this weekend.
I am curious to know how the Autel MaxiCheck Pro scan tool works for you. I have been looking for a good scan tool to actuate the ABS module and would love to hear your experience with it once you've had a chance to use it.

Thanks -
EFI Live by Kory Willis
Edge CTS2
4" MBRP Exhaust
Blocked EGR
PCV Re-route.
AFE Mouthpiece
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Mishimoto Transmission Cooler
Old 02-05-2019, 02:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
BanksLB7Duramax
Diesel Champ

I put DOT 4 in everything. I usually do a flush when I switch to 4. However, 3 & 4 can be mixed without any adverse affects. DOT 5 cannot be mixed at all.
MY FUELLY PAGE LINK

1984 C20 6.2 J Code TH400
Old 02-05-2019, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopro View Post
I am curious to know how the Autel MaxiCheck Pro scan tool works for you. I have been looking for a good scan tool to actuate the ABS module and would love to hear your experience with it once you've had a chance to use it.

Thanks -
No problem. It should be delivered on Thursday. I plan on doing an auto bleed on the ABS and then rebleeding the brakes again. I'll post how it worked.
Here's a good video explaining the Autel Maxicheck Pro.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

I'm happy with Autogenuity w gm enhancement (it's windows software+ a usb-odbii cable), it gets/resets codes from all the computers in the truck, as well as performs a variety of diagnostic procedures and display of live data, including doing the ABS bleed procedure....
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Old 02-10-2019, 12:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dmax Dually
Glow Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopro View Post

Thanks -
I used it yesterday to bleed the ABS manifold and it worked great. That is exactly what I bought it for. Now a little bit about the ABS bleed procedure on my truck. The procedure is different from the video that I previously posted. Maybe because I updated to the latest software before I used it or maybe because it's a different vehicle but it is not as quick and simple as the video shows.
In the video it show that you select the ABS Auto bleed on the Autel, press and hold pressure on the brake pedal, it automatically starts and activates the abs system, it cycles the abs system several times and you're done.
Now I have an issue with this procedure because IMHO you are not bleeding the system. You are just moving any air that is in the ABS pump/manifold to the brake lines. Maybe technically you bled (moved) any air out of the ABS but any air is still in the brake system.
Maybe it's the new software or just my year truck but the procedure was different. You are actually bleeding the ABS and brake system not just cycling it. The procedure is the same no matter if you use the brake pedal or a pressure bleeder. I used the Motive Pressure bleeder. Even if you use the pressure bleeder it is a lot easier and faster to have 2 people. One person to make the selections on the autel at each step and one person under the truck opening and closing the bleeders at each wheel. I did it by myself with no problems BUT it was a real PITA getting up and down from underneath the truck at each step to make the selections on the Autel to move to the next step.
Now for the actual procedure.
You navigate to the ABS Auto bleed prompt on the Autel. When you select it the next screen will tell you to press and hold pressure on the brake pedal but allow it to move up and down as the ABS system activates (I was using a Pressure bleeder so I didn't have to hold the pedal). After you applied pressure to the pedal you select OK on the Autel. It then activate the ABS for a few seconds.
While continuing to hold the brake pedal it then switches to the next screen where it tells you to open the bleeder screw on the left front brake. After you open the bleeder you have to select ok. After selecting OK the next screen tell you that the procedure will take about 60 secs. After that time the screen will tell you to close the bleeder and release the brake pedal. After you do so you select OK on the Autel. Then you will repeat the procedure for the other 3 brakes.
Because I replaced my master cylinder and switched from Dot 3 to Dot 4 fluid I bled the brake system again after I completed the ABS bleed to remove any remaining Dot 3 fluid and air that was trapped in the ABS system and moved to the brake system. The procedure worked fine and I have firm pedal. I drove around for a week after replacing my master cylinder, before bleeding the ABS, because I didn't have the tool. There definitely was a difference in pedal firmness before and after bleeding the abs.
The Autel MaxiCheck Pro is a full featured OBDll code reader that preforms all the functions that you want/need in a diagnostic tool. Plus ABS, DPF system, BMS- Battery Management system, SRS - Supplemental Restraint System, EPB- Electronic Parking Brake system, SAS- Steering Angle Sensor (calibrate & system resets) & Oil/Service resets.
I am 100% satisfied with the Autel MaxiCheck Pro. I paid $212.00 on Amazon and it comes in a hard plastic case with the SD card, OBDll cable, USB cable for printing, CD and instructions.
Two things I'd like to point out .The scanner come with the standard 4ft OBDll data cable just like all the rest. I wish it came with a longer cable that would allow you to be under the hood or underneath the vehicle with the scanner (I'm sure I can find one on the internet). Second, there are two methods for providing power to the scan tool. When the OBDll Cable is connection to vehicle or DC external power adapter. Autel does not sell a 12v power adapter. Lucky I save all my old power adapters when I throw away anything that has them, so I had one that worked. I recommend having a 12v power adapter so you can power it up at your desk or work bench so you can get familiar with it and adjust the settings without having to sit in you vehicle with the key on.
At $212.00 including tax and shipping I highly recommend The Autel MaxiCheck Pro for anyone wanted an OBDll diagnostic tool that can also acivate the ABS and other systems, especially the DPF system

Last edited by Dmax Dually; 02-10-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
306LBZ
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Do you happen to have s link to this fancy contraption that can bleed the abs...?

TRANSGO JR
EGR Blocked and Disabled
Cognito 4" NTBD Kit w/ Zinc plated Bilsteins all around
FOX 2.0'S ALL AROUND
KRYPTONITE UCA'S
285 70 10 PLY BFG AT TAKO's on 17" H2's(SUMMER)
255 85 10 PLY ON 16" PYO'S(WINTER)
AIR LIFT bags
and a few other minor additions here and there(SEE GARAGE)
Towing a 36' 5THWHEEL ENCLOSED CARGO TRAILER ALL DAY LONG!
SOLD 2015 SIERRA HD CCSB SLT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in