Fuel Filter Clogged Up - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Maintenance & Fluids
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Maintenance & Fluids Discuss products, techniques, intervals, and fluids for maintaining your GM truck including oil and oil additives, fuel and fuel additives, alternative fuels (Bio-D, SVO, WVO), filters, grease, and maintenance specific tools.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Foible
Self Ignition

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Fuel Filter Clogged Up

Here's what happened:

1) On 6/5/2017 at 119,899 miles I changed my oil, oil filter, and fuel filter.
2) On 9/12/2017 at about 123,000 miles I got a notice to change my fuel filter. I thought I just had not re-set the fuel filter monitor when I changed the filter about 3 months prior, and re-set it to 100%.
3) On 9/15/2017 while towing my fifth wheel I got a notice of "Reduced Power" (no kidding - I knew that immediately) and a notice of 0% on the fuel filter monitor. I drove, towing the trailer, at about 19 MPH about 2 miles to a pull off. I checked for codes, and had a P0087 code, Fuel rail/system too low. I changed the fuel filter using the spare filter I carry (which I have never needed since I bought the truck in 2008). Immediately the problem was solved.
4) QUESTIONS: So I got some bad fuel?? What did clog up my fuel filter in less than 4,000 miles? Did this episode damage anything?

Last edited by Foible; 09-20-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
dnewton3
Diesel Prodigy

I doubt anything was hurt/damaged.

TBH - your info is decent, but anecdotal at this point. Could be bad fuel. Could be a fuel line collapsing and returning due to suction from the pump.

The fuel quality issue could be a continuing problem, or gone; you won't know for a while. If it returns, start looking at the possibility that you've got moisture in the tank, and therefore you're getting a slime build-up on the filter element. If you still have the "old" filters, cut them open and look them over. If there is a very heavy particulate loading, the fuel was "dirty". If there's a slimy mess (kind of like snot), you've got moisture causing microbial growth in the fuel. Either will blind off the media and cause fuel starvation.

The dirty fuel will just have to be run through, unless you want to dump fuel out and waste it.
The microbial goo can be treated with any decent product made for such issues; look at local farm stores if you have one close.
Either way, carry a few spare filters with you for a least a while.

Fumoto drain valve / Power Steering Cooler added / Inverted Tranny Cooler / Autometer pyrometer / home-made diff cover / upgraded x-fer case skid plate

Member #2 of the "OIL is OIL" association
I used to use dino oil because I didn't know any better.
Then, I used synthetics because I thought they were "best".
Now, I use dino, because I know the truth!
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2017, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

For your year truck I wonder what is causing your filter life to drop so fast. I thought filter minder was based of of mileage being the biggest factor. RPM, fuel used.

This switch was added to the LML to monitor fuel filter.
The fuel filter percentage in the LML is accurate. It messures vacuum on the filter outlet, and desired vs actual rail pressure.
GM Part :12641590 SWITCH, Computer Control Sensors
SWITCH,ENGINE FUEL VACUUM(INCLUDES 40)(INCLUDES SEAL)(FILTER MINDER)

(041) https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c...rimLevel=25416

Last edited by Rvn4me; 09-21-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Foible
Self Ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnewton3 View Post
I doubt anything was hurt/damaged.

TBH - your info is decent, but anecdotal at this point. Could be bad fuel. Could be a fuel line collapsing and returning due to suction from the pump.

The fuel quality issue could be a continuing problem, or gone; you won't know for a while. If it returns, start looking at the possibility that you've got moisture in the tank, and therefore you're getting a slime build-up on the filter element. If you still have the "old" filters, cut them open and look them over. If there is a very heavy particulate loading, the fuel was "dirty". If there's a slimy mess (kind of like snot), you've got moisture causing microbial growth in the fuel. Either will blind off the media and cause fuel starvation.

The dirty fuel will just have to be run through, unless you want to dump fuel out and waste it.
The microbial goo can be treated with any decent product made for such issues; look at local farm stores if you have one close.
Either way, carry a few spare filters with you for a least a while.
We've towed our trailer about 400 miles since I installed the new fuel filter, so I don't think a collapsing fuel line is part of the problem. I re-set the filter minder right when I replaced the filter; right now, it is showing 96%. If the filter minder begins to show a sharp drop, I'll replace the filter and cut up the old one on the look for dirt, or goo. I don't think that water was an issue, none drained out of the valve at the bottom of the filter.

Good to know that (hopefully) no damage was done.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Foible
Self Ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvn4me View Post
For your year truck I wonder what is causing your filter life to drop so fast. I thought filter minder was based of of mileage being the biggest factor. RPM, fuel used.

This switch was added to the LML to monitor fuel filter.
The fuel filter percentage in the LML is accurate. It messures vacuum on the filter outlet, and desired vs actual rail pressure.
GM Part :12641590 SWITCH, Computer Control Sensors
SWITCH,ENGINE FUEL VACUUM(INCLUDES 40)(INCLUDES SEAL)(FILTER MINDER)

(041) https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c...rimLevel=25416
Good point. Maybe there is some over ride if the fuel pressure is too low, regardless of the miles or time on the filter.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foible View Post
Good point. Maybe there is some over ride if the fuel pressure is too low, regardless of the miles or time on the filter.
Just curious, your spare filter was it the same flavor as the other?
Old 09-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Foible
Self Ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2GBY View Post
Just curious, your spare filter was it the same flavor as the other?
I'm not sure. Both filters were AC/Delco TP3018. The spare filter was bought in 2009 (!), I think, and still sealed up in the plastic overwrap. The installed filter - the one that clogged up - was likewise an AC/Delco TP3018. I guess they were the same, except for age, and any design changes that AC/Delco may have made.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
dmax3500
Diesel Ace

did you check the fuel lines ,at the engine/trans bellhousing..wher the rubber lins make the almost 90 deg turn,,,they collapse internally, and since the system is under vacuum
Old 09-22-2017, 07:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
dnewton3
Diesel Prodigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax3500 View Post
did you check the fuel lines ,at the engine/trans bellhousing..wher the rubber lins make the almost 90 deg turn,,,they collapse internally, and since the system is under vacuum

Yes - that is what I was getting at in my previous post above.

Why in the world GM decided to do that is beyond any/all logical comprehension. When I removed my badly corroded fuel lines, I ran good quality Gates Barricade rubber lines right down the frame. Will probably never have the collapsed line issue ever again.
Fumoto drain valve / Power Steering Cooler added / Inverted Tranny Cooler / Autometer pyrometer / home-made diff cover / upgraded x-fer case skid plate

Member #2 of the "OIL is OIL" association
I used to use dino oil because I didn't know any better.
Then, I used synthetics because I thought they were "best".
Now, I use dino, because I know the truth!
Old 09-22-2017, 08:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Foible
Self Ignition

Hmmm. My thinking was that towing 400 miles without a problem showed that the fuel line was not collapsing. But is the collapsed fuel line problem one that can occur sporadically? How do you check a fuel line to determine if it is prone to collapsing internally?

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in