Question: Mobil Delvac ESP 5w40 vs Mobil D elvac 1300 Super IN LBZ - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Maintenance & Fluids
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Maintenance & Fluids Discuss products, techniques, intervals, and fluids for maintaining your GM truck including oil and oil additives, fuel and fuel additives, alternative fuels (Bio-D, SVO, WVO), filters, grease, and maintenance specific tools.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2016, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
BlackLBZHD
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Mobil Delvac ESP 5w40 vs Mobil D elvac 1300 Super IN LBZ

So I got my truck two weeks ago and have final exams coming up (don't have time to dick with it yet ). I have all new fluids and filters for it but picked up some 5w40 oil because of the winter temps in Maryland.
Some of the guys at my dealer who drive Duramaxs told me that the 15w40 is perfect for all around use.
THe duramax tech told me it doesn't really matter what I run as long as I keep it changed. He said "I see a lot of these trucks come in here with over 300,000 miles that have been beat to hell and go 15,000 between oil changes and the cylinders all look the same.

So my question: Will I damage my truck by running a 5w40 full synthetic year round vs a 15w40 that my owners manual says is the recommended oil.

Additonally if I plan on doing 3000 mile OCI's like I did with Vortec 8100 with Mobil 1 5w30 am I better off just using Dino oil

DSP5 by DuramaxTuner, EGR 100% DELETED UPPIPE DELETED. HSP 3 " Y BRIDGE AND INTAKE TUBE BEHIND ALTERNATOR, Weather tech floor mats, PPE Race Fuel valve, LB7 UP-PIPE Magnaflow 5 Inch downpipe back, PPE STAGE 3 TIE RODS, MA magnetic transfer case drain plug, Pacer Smoked cab lights with LED bulbs,OPT7 LED FOGS LOWS AND HIGHS Denali punch grilles,Intake resonator plug,Caterpillar fuel filter adapter w/ CAT 1R-0749 opti-lube in every tank,Mishimoto magnetic oil drain plug, XPD crancakse breather fittings rerouted on either side, Amsoil oil only! University of Alabama and dealership technician/ fraternity man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2016, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
97chevor
Diesel Boss

5w40 year round is fine. Unless your pulling with the truck then I like thicker oil in summer.

How long does it take you to drive 3000 miles?

IMO 3000 miles on 5w40 is just throwing good oil away.

2013 LT CC & Chassis with 9' Hillsboro Aluminum flatbed - over 82,000 miles

Favorite book : The Richest Man in Babylon
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2016, 11:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
BlackLBZHD
Diesel Fanatic

Getting to 3000

I understand that the only real difference is the weight of the oil when it is cold and that they are both 40 weight at operating temperature. Well what if I am driving my truck hard in the summer? That similar to towing in terms of engine load and temperatures
I don't like the whole extended oil change thing but I still want the benefit of synthetic
I put around 10,000 miles on my last truck each year I drove it and have always changed the oil at 3000. It takes me 2-3 months to get to 3000 depending on road trips to the beach house and what not.

I just know that changing it every 3000 while driving my truck hard gives me peace of mind.

My reasoning is from a man who has 1 million miles on a 5.7 vortec said he had almost 400 oil changes. That's right at 3000 or even less on the new oil
DSP5 by DuramaxTuner, EGR 100% DELETED UPPIPE DELETED. HSP 3 " Y BRIDGE AND INTAKE TUBE BEHIND ALTERNATOR, Weather tech floor mats, PPE Race Fuel valve, LB7 UP-PIPE Magnaflow 5 Inch downpipe back, PPE STAGE 3 TIE RODS, MA magnetic transfer case drain plug, Pacer Smoked cab lights with LED bulbs,OPT7 LED FOGS LOWS AND HIGHS Denali punch grilles,Intake resonator plug,Caterpillar fuel filter adapter w/ CAT 1R-0749 opti-lube in every tank,Mishimoto magnetic oil drain plug, XPD crancakse breather fittings rerouted on either side, Amsoil oil only! University of Alabama and dealership technician/ fraternity man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2016, 12:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
97chevor
Diesel Boss

I have run onto with pulling in high heat the oil pressure drops.

I change mine sometimes monthly, about 18,000 miles backed with oil analysis. My 2010 truck has 782,000 miles.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
97chevor
Diesel Boss

I have run into with pulling in high heat the oil pressure drops.

I change mine sometimes monthly, about 18,000 miles backed with oil analysis. My 2010 truck has 782,000 miles.

Last edited by 97chevor; 12-05-2016 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
64bawagon
Glow Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLBZHD View Post
I understand that the only real difference is the weight of the oil when it is cold and that they are both 40 weight at operating temperature. Well what if I am driving my truck hard in the summer? That similar to towing in terms of engine load and temperatures
I don't like the whole extended oil change thing but I still want the benefit of synthetic
I put around 10,000 miles on my last truck each year I drove it and have always changed the oil at 3000. It takes me 2-3 months to get to 3000 depending on road trips to the beach house and what not.

I just know that changing it every 3000 while driving my truck hard gives me peace of mind.

My reasoning is from a man who has 1 million miles on a 5.7 vortec said he had almost 400 oil changes. That's right at 3000 or even less on the new oil

Both oils should be the same viscosity at operating temp. The 5W will flow better at cold start. If you are changing oil at 3000 miles you are throwing away money. Follow the oil life monitor on the truck and you will be well within the service life of the oil. I ran my last change to 12,000 miles with about 40% of that towing a 10,400# travel trailer and the analysis came back good, could have easily run it several thousand miles longer.
Its easy to over think this subject, any name brand diesel oil in the correct weight will give you good service.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Ninja

I live in MD and have never used anything but 15w40 dino oil and see no need to spend the extra money for a 5w40. Heck I have never even plugged the block heater in.

2008 Chevy Crew Cab LT2 2500HD
Summit White

1800W Xantrex Prosine Inverter & third battery
Lovin my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires
RAP (Retained Accesory Power) How-To
RetroSolutions Super Bright Reverse Bulbs
Old 12-05-2016, 10:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
64bawagon
Glow Plug

We had an engineer from Mobil at our shop about 10 yrs ago to discuss our oil choice in our fleet of diesels, everything from 5.9 Cummins, Mercedes MBE, series 60 pre egr and egr, International DT466E as well as a power stroke. He commented that the Delvac 1300 was over engineered for most applications and would provide protection well past the point that the majority of people use it. We never had an analysis come back showing the oil was past its life, we did however catch a lot of injector issues.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
enahs
Diesel Champ

Been running Delvac 5-40 for years — pulling heavy 5th wheel in hot summer weather. Contacted Mobil about the ESP Delvac and was told it's about the same as the non-ESP. The ESP is for emissions systems protection (IIRC) and costs a bit more. Both are fully synthetic. The 40 is what counts in operating temps, while the 5 helps with cold weather starts. Oil is oil (as Dave points out), but the synthetic gives longer change intervals.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
BlackLBZHD
Diesel Fanatic

Thanks all! I am going to be running the 5W40 for the Winter and switch to the 15w40 for the spring and all other seasons!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in