CAT Fuel Filter Shelf Life - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Maintenance & Fluids
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Maintenance & Fluids Discuss products, techniques, intervals, and fluids for maintaining your GM truck including oil and oil additives, fuel and fuel additives, alternative fuels (Bio-D, SVO, WVO), filters, grease, and maintenance specific tools.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Aprilwine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
ruspoe03
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

CAT Fuel Filter Shelf Life

I have several CAT 1R-0749 fuel filters that I purchased back in 2004 from a CAT dealer. The filters look perfect, are still in their shrink wrap and have been safely stored in my garage since purchased. Does anyone know if these filters have a shelf life/expiration date?
Thanks!

BD Full Bore Exhaust Manifold
Autometer Pyrometer and Boost Gauge
PCV Reroute
Nicktane CAT Fuel Filter Adapter
(Caterpillar 1R-0750)
Nicktane Auxiliary Fuel Filter Kit
(Donaldson Fuel Filter/Water Separator P553207)
Transgo Jr Shift Kit
PPE Transmission Cooler
MA Transfer Case Pump Upgrade
Cognito Pitman and Idler Support Kit
Rare Parts Extreme Tie Rods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
IGO1320
Diesel Superstar

Should be indefinitely.

265/75/16 Michelin LTX AT2's on PYO's
Duramax.com tow tune w/turbo brake
PPE Dual Fueler (P0087 cure)
Kitty on a "warm shelf", K+N Drop-in filter
Amsoil in all places, Amsoil BMK-27 Bypass
KYB shocks (stock sucked)
Autometer Boost/Pyro gauges/Edge CTS
EGR blocker and (Kennedy) finger stick
Merchant remanufactured transfer case 748,000
Kennedy lift pump, reserve tank with transfer pump
Suncoast trans and 1700 stall converter @ 748,000
14.558 @ 91.03 Hypertech now?????
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
LBZjunkie
Diesel Apprentice

I would use them. If you really want to know email CAT.
Primary/secondary fuel filter's, OE still in place
Firestone air bags
Pacbrake onboard air
EGR delete
Junk *** POS Duramileage tuner-WTF WAS I THINKING!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2015, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
HWI
Diesel Rookie

I'd think that as long as they are still wrapped they should be good for life.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Aprilwine
Diesel Pro

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruspoe03 View Post
I have several CAT 1R-0749 fuel filters that I purchased back in 2004 from a CAT dealer. The filters look perfect, are still in their shrink wrap and have been safely stored in my garage since purchased. Does anyone know if these filters have a shelf life/expiration date?
Thanks!

I don't see any problem since you have had them sealed since you bought them. I think the only thing is filtration standards have changed since 2004 so the filtering efficiency may be not as good as the newer filters. Also, like the 1R-0750 the 1R-0749 is a designated secondary filter so I wouldn't advise using just this filter in a 1 filter system. If that's the case you'd be better off to use the ACDelco TP3018, Racor PFF50216 or the Baldwin BF9882.
Line-X Bedliner and Color Matched Rockers, Allison Deep Pan W/Suncoast Filter Lock, Transynd, Kennedy Lift Pumps W/Filter, Cognito Steering Braces & UCA's, Rare Parts Tie Rods, Bilstein 5100's, GM 6" Oval Side Steps sprayed with Line-X Aspart-X, Bushwacker OEM Flares, Nitto Terra Grapplers LT295/70R/18, Snugtop Canopy, Rigid Dually D2's, S&B CAI w/Cold Air Scoop & Donaldson
Powercore Filter, Edge Insight CTS, More to come, Hopefully.
Taupe Gray Metallic.

SOLD- My loaded up 02 2500 Suburban.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dmaxmoe
Diesel Head

What they said ^. Also being that they've been stored in a garage which I'm sure maintains a consistent temperature, if they were stored in a shed, internally rusted parts due to condensation would be a concern.
06 GMC SLT CC SB LBZ, Studded, DP Billet 2.6Stg 2, RDL Manifolds/Ups, AllSeason EGR Delete W/Grid Heater, Adrenaline SS Y-Bridge, Alligator Performance IC Tube, DE DownPipe, 4" BD Turbo Back (no cat), DSP5, Autometer Cobalts, PCV, Airaid, FASS 150, Nicktane, 4" Rancho, CalTracs, SC StageIV/w1056, T-Case Brace, Yukon Grizzly, HD Tierods, Cognito PISK, 35" General Grabbers on Black/Milled Fuel Dunes, Kenwood Head Unit, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" all around, JL Audio 500/1, 300/4, 2 Focal 10" 25A1
Old 12-26-2015, 01:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
ruspoe03
Diesel Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilwine View Post
I don't see any problem since you have had them sealed since you bought them. I think the only thing is filtration standards have changed since 2004 so the filtering efficiency may be not as good as the newer filters. Also, like the 1R-0750 the 1R-0749 is a designated secondary filter so I wouldn't advise using just this filter in a 1 filter system. If that's the case you'd be better off to use the ACDelco TP3018, Racor PFF50216 or the Baldwin BF9882.
Are you saying these filters are not intended to be used in a 1 filter system because there's no water separator? Could you explain why it's not good to use either of these filters alone?
Thanks
BD Full Bore Exhaust Manifold
Autometer Pyrometer and Boost Gauge
PCV Reroute
Nicktane CAT Fuel Filter Adapter
(Caterpillar 1R-0750)
Nicktane Auxiliary Fuel Filter Kit
(Donaldson Fuel Filter/Water Separator P553207)
Transgo Jr Shift Kit
PPE Transmission Cooler
MA Transfer Case Pump Upgrade
Cognito Pitman and Idler Support Kit
Rare Parts Extreme Tie Rods
Old 12-26-2015, 02:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Aprilwine
Diesel Pro

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruspoe03 View Post
Are you saying these filters are not intended to be used in a 1 filter system because there's no water separator? Could you explain why it's not good to use either of these filters alone?
Thanks

That's what I'm saying, Both these filters (1R-0750, 1R-0749) are designated secondary filters by Cat which means (As you mentioned) they do not have the capability to separate, store and drain water from the filter. The filtering media in a secondary filter lacks the water stripping capability of a primary FWS filter. These filters are designed to be used downstream from a Fuel Water Separator filter. If you use one of these filters in a 1 filter system, you do not have proper water separation which means water can get into your fuel system beyond the filter which as you know is not a good thing.
The OEM type filters mentioned above are Dual Layer, like having two filters in one, the first layer separates the water and stores it in the bottom of the filter while the second layer polishes up the fuel, plus you can drain the excess water (If Any) out of the filter.
I know a lot of people say they have never had a water problem using the Cat filters alone which may be true, but you never know where the next batch of bad fuel may be hiding and are you willing to take that risk to save a few dollars on a fuel filter? The OEM type filters (ACDelco TP3018, Racor PFF50216, Baldwin BF9882)are excellent fuel filters and IMHO don't understand why anyone would want to use anything else in a 1 filter system.
Line-X Bedliner and Color Matched Rockers, Allison Deep Pan W/Suncoast Filter Lock, Transynd, Kennedy Lift Pumps W/Filter, Cognito Steering Braces & UCA's, Rare Parts Tie Rods, Bilstein 5100's, GM 6" Oval Side Steps sprayed with Line-X Aspart-X, Bushwacker OEM Flares, Nitto Terra Grapplers LT295/70R/18, Snugtop Canopy, Rigid Dually D2's, S&B CAI w/Cold Air Scoop & Donaldson
Powercore Filter, Edge Insight CTS, More to come, Hopefully.
Taupe Gray Metallic.

SOLD- My loaded up 02 2500 Suburban.

Last edited by Aprilwine; 12-26-2015 at 02:13 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
FiveFilter
Clutch

Old post, but I've read reports from an engineer with a major filter company that says air, oil and fuel filters have a shelf life. I'd ask the manufacturer about using filters that are 12 years old. Wrapped or not, age can still affect filter materials, and not in a good way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in