The Official Red Dye / Offroad Diesel FAQ - Page 6 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Maintenance & Fluids
FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Maintenance & Fluids Discuss products, techniques, intervals, and fluids for maintaining your GM truck including oil and oil additives, fuel and fuel additives, alternative fuels (Bio-D, SVO, WVO), filters, grease, and maintenance specific tools.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 08:46 PM  
Mikeyc187
Sparkplug Hunter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiefarmer View Post
I live in Oklahoma. I have a farm taxid number and also a farm tag on my truck. Since last year, it is 100% legal for me to run dyed diesel in my farm truck in Oklahoma. I haven't yet because I want to know if it voids my dodge warranty. It is the same ultra low sulphur diesel that I'm running now just red. Someone I know at the dodge dealership tells me that it voids my warranty if they find it in my truck. Does anyone know for sure. Really dont know why dodge would care since it was federally mandated that all diesel (on or off road) must be Ultra low sulphur by December 2010.
I have been told the same thing by my Ford dealer. They more or less held me ransom to pay a large bill for replacing a NOX sensor when it should of been warranty work .. They said they won’t tell Ford and have my warranty voided if I pay the $950 bill.. What should a warranty have to do with dyed fuel?????

Offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011, 10:58 PM  
Surfacediver
Diesel Apprentice

Armed Forces Club Member

here is my advise... call an attorney. I'm pretty sure legally they cant do that nor report it to anyone. Technically its none of there business what diesel you run in your engine as long as its ULSD. There are too many different variables to this, for a dealership to make this claim.

AirDog II - 165
Banks CAI
Sulastic Shackles
All-ON Light Mod - Thanks ryanryan !
Warn Gen II Trans4mer front bumper
Warn 16.5 TI up front
Portable Warn 9.5 SI for the rear
AMP steps (LMM version)
Nictane fuel filter combo- CAT Filter

- ON THE WAY-
Air lift 5000 bags w/ air lift wireless one.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:12 PM  
boothybunch
Resident Gynecologist....

I am with surfacediver. They can't void your warranty for running red diesel in your truck. They can only void the warranty if they can prove it was not ULSD.

I would go further with this and have my say.

Had the same argument with some dealer here in the UK regarding some concrete pumping equipment. Since the trucks were only used on the road for a few days a month and the rest on site, they were allowed to run red diesel legally on the road provided they logged the "road used" mileage and submitted a tax payment for the road duty and tax which is 58p (87c) per litre and then 20% TAX.

They tried to void a warranty based on red diesel usage.

2006 LLY/LBZ standard cab WT ZF-6 Stock for the moment

Member #23 of the OIL is OIL association

July 2013 Truck of the month winner

Last edited by boothybunch; 11-30-2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: posted before finishing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 10:17 PM  
ryanpaulaf1
Diesel Fanatic

This was a great find and read. I've honestly never heard of red diesel until I saw this post. I think i'm just going to do the right thing and keep to the legal stuff. Especially since I am in the military. I don't think they'd like to hear I got caught doing this. Thanks for posting this.
Dually Club Member #844
2002 GMC Sierra 3500 CC/DRW SLE 4X4
6.6 LB7
Old 07-02-2012, 11:29 AM  
tnpete
Self Ignition

Not sure about other places. But in Tn if it can be tagged it can't run off road diesel. My uncle got caugth with it in his Lime Truck. Never leaves the farm only dirt use. Tn tagged him $5000. for that one. Your only allowed to run it in anything that can't be tagged not that it does not have a tag. But if you could tag it and be legal on the road. They will fine you. Also there they do and can drive up to your farm or home and check your tanks without asking you. I know of 3 people in our family that got busted on this. Did they know they were breaking the laws? NO but did not matter as it was there duty to know what was and was not right. My father in law got hit with it also. And they tried to get him the bigger fine, as it was 2 times for him. But it was his twin brother they had gotten the week before. uncle Earl did not say anything to anyone about. As he did not want anyone thinking he was doing it knowing knowing he was braking the law.
So be careful just because your old truck has not be tagged in years does not mean you can't get you .
Pete
Old 08-10-2012, 04:50 AM  
SS Duramax
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SS Duramax

Don't know if this has been touched on or not, but I recently filled up one of my tanks with dyed diesel but where I got it, it was taxed, basically making it the same price as on road diesel. I don't know if they did this because it was a personal vehicle or if they through a tax on all sales and it just happened to amount to the same as regular diesel. But anyway, can you request to pay tax on the diesel and maybe keep the receipt in case you get dipped? Sounds like a long shot, but I like running it because they still use 500-ppm LSD instead of USLD. I can physically hear and feel the difference in the old 6.5td.

Also, one of the specialized fuel stops around here advertizes High sulfur diesel fuel. I called them up and they didn't know anything about it. Just wondering if they do carry it, can I burn it in my motor, or is this more of a generator or construction equipment fuel?

1999 Hummer H16.5L TD, Ron Davis Aluminum radiator, HD water pump, Airraid air filter, 37" tires and locker stock

1996 Z28 SS clone.GMMG,KBDDSFC's,Spohn Adj TA w/DS loop,SJM chromemoly adj LCA's and PHB,Strano 1¼ lowering springs & swaybars,Spohn Road Race K-member with adj upper and lower A-arms,Strange 12 bolt with 4.11's,Pro Race 4L60E with 2800 stall,strange chromemoly driveshaft. 9.2:1 383 TC78(10psi) 600hp 600ft/lbs
Old 08-10-2012, 10:12 AM  
PrivatePilot
Just Horsing Around

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

You'll have a VERY difficult time proving in court that you were legal, even with a receipt for the fuel. Red dye on the road is bad, no matter what excuse or reasoning you try to use for it. The fuel station shouldn't be selling it for on-road use - probably some new kid there who didn't know the difference and just typed it into the till as regular road diesel even though he pumped dyed.
Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Helping a friend: Duckies Longarm Quilting Oshawa / Durham Region!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:45 AM  
VanBoy
Diesel Boss

Pacific Iron Mountain Truck Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Duramax View Post
Don't know if this has been touched on or not, but I recently filled up one of my tanks with dyed diesel but where I got it, it was taxed, basically making it the same price as on road diesel. I don't know if they did this because it was a personal vehicle or if they through a tax on all sales and it just happened to amount to the same as regular diesel. But anyway, can you request to pay tax on the diesel and maybe keep the receipt in case you get dipped? Sounds like a long shot, but I like running it because they still use 500-ppm LSD instead of USLD. I can physically hear and feel the difference in the old 6.5td.

Also, one of the specialized fuel stops around here advertizes High sulfur diesel fuel. I called them up and they didn't know anything about it. Just wondering if they do carry it, can I burn it in my motor, or is this more of a generator or construction equipment fuel?
You can run dyed diesel... as long as it is not RED. I've seen fuel that has a slight green or yellow hint to it. Anything BUT RED.

Great thread. Nice I found the linky....
1981 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.6L N/A x2
1978 VW Rabbit 1.5L N/A

================================================== ==
140amp 1996 alt. May 2016 / HO Water pump, Fan Clutch (used OEM), Crank Pulley-Aug 2015 /Stanadyne PMD installed 6/13 replaced- reinstalled D-Tech ,Soot Trap Delete Jan 18, 2014 / Heath TurboMaster Dec 22, 2013 / New OPS (BWD), OPS Relay mod,
black Stanadyne PMD w/ #5-June 2013 / Dorman relocation kit, D-Tech PMD to bumper, #9 resistor- Jan 2013 / Carter Lift Pump, P74143 10-15psi, 32gph- Dec 2012 / Brought home Dec 17, 2012

Other then that, the Chevy is STOCK.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:23 AM  
creekr
Heat Sink

Several years ago a feller I know bought a used truck. He had it about two weeks got pulled over and dipped and got fined for having traces of red fuel. He told me he had just filled it up 2x at the regular diesel pump and had no idea about off road fuel. So I wouldn't chance it at all.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:03 PM  
boothybunch
Resident Gynecologist....

well gonna wade back in on this. I have said that the people on the road that check your trucks for running red diesel KNOW before they pull you if you have red diesel in your tank by the smell from your tailpipe and no one believes me.

well all the equipment i have here runs on diesel, the generator, mini digger and skip loader. when I am running red diesel through them, it definitely smells different to running them on white diesel. If I had to say, red diesel tends to get you in the back of the throat.

I know here if you document how much red diesel you have put in your tank and inform the tax man, they will send you a demand for the required tax and your good to go. I know this for a fact but that's here in the UK.

I know certain vehicle are exempt from paying road fuel taxes as they spend most of their time on building sites and only go on the road from time to time. mobile cranes and concrete pumps are two that are exempt here.

2006 LLY/LBZ standard cab WT ZF-6 Stock for the moment

Member #23 of the OIL is OIL association

July 2013 Truck of the month winner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in