The Official Red Dye / Offroad Diesel FAQ - Page 5 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Maintenance & Fluids
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Maintenance & Fluids Discuss products, techniques, intervals, and fluids for maintaining your GM truck including oil and oil additives, fuel and fuel additives, alternative fuels (Bio-D, SVO, WVO), filters, grease, and maintenance specific tools.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 10:44 PM   #41 (permalink)
turnpike
Diesel Champ

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstroker View Post
Just checked one of my card lock bills and the difference is 11.5C per liter. The road tax on clear is 14.3 C, but the base on dyed is a bit higher.
I have found it not worth the risk, have been dipped once with no problem. A friend was dipped up north and the sample was send for lab check, it came back with trace amounts of the dye tracer. He was fined and checked with his supplier. ( truck was never filled with dyed diesel!?) They filled his dyed tank was first and the clear next without cleaning the fill hose on the truck. That was enough to fail the test. His supplier paid the fine and explained the issue to the enforcement branch. He avoided a full audit (can go back 7 years as by tax law). This is why I only use card lock as it provides for easy and reliable records incase one does get an audit.
Does that suggest you could win a fuel tax case, if you have journaled every fill, dealer & location? Maybe be helpful.

'16 Chev 2500HD LTZ Z71, CC, Duramax, Allsion, 4wd, new Sept 2016, has factory fifth wheel prep so added a Curt hitch.

Traded off-'05 Chev, 2500HD, CC, SB, Duramax, Allison, 4WD, bought new April '05, sold at 179,400 miles, LBZ mouthpeice, Blocker Plate & Unplugged EGR, Air Box cut out, lost the cat, 52 US Gal (196 Litre) Titan Fuel Tank, SuperChips tuner reset to stock and retained, AirLift air bags, BrakeSmart Trailer Brake controller, PaceEdwards cover-replaced 2013, DSP Fifth Hitch, JVC KW-NT1 headunit, kept the"AutoEnginuity" scanner.

'02 GMC, 2500HD, CC, SB, D/A, 4wd, Traded in - wrong color
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 11:55 PM   #42 (permalink)
Hoyt572
Glow Plug

Send a message via AIM to Hoyt572

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanryan View Post
Good write-up Mark. What's the average price for red-diesel? For a comparison, clear-diesel is $1.22 around here......
why so cheap, i just bought some for $3.99 here......

Sold 97' GMC K3500 DUALLY 5 speed manual, 4" straight with 3" down pipe, hot air intake (lol), fsd cooler with extension mounted behind bumper, number 9 resistor, Reman GM8 turbo, new glow plugs, new bosch injectors, new fuel tank and sending unit, fuel lines, 93' AcDelco lift pump, relay mod, FTB mod, triple pillar gauges, 265/75R16 Cooper stt's, 2" spacers between rear duals to fit tires, and a deer killer on the front to top it all off.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #43 (permalink)
ryanryan
Diesel Prodigy

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt572 View Post
why so cheap, i just bought some for $3.99 here......
I'm from Canada. That's $1.22 per liter. There are 3.78 liters in a gallon. Therefore the avg. price around here is ~$4.60 a gallon.

-->2011 Chevy Silverado LML 3500 Dually CC/LB 4x4 LTZ - B&W, Line-X, Retrax - SOLD

-->2008 Chevy Silverado LMM 3500 Dually CC/LB 4X4 LT - Edge Evo Race, MBRP Exhaust, HIDs - SOLD

-->2005 Pace 48' Race Trailer w/ Living Quarters

-->1967 Chevy II - Race car - 9.90 @ 135 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #44 (permalink)
hogstroker
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnpike View Post
Does that suggest you could win a fuel tax case, if you have journaled every fill, dealer & location? Maybe be helpful.
Yes it may get you out of hotwater, specially if you use both at the same location or in the same company. Also for ifta purposes it is helpfull...
'95 PSD 7.3l, wife's truck! (sold)
Old 04-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #45 (permalink)
booxr
Clutch

Michigan Oil Burners Member

I have been wondering if you are running ATF in your fuel as an additive like some do won't that cause a red tint to you fuel? If you get dipped and say you are running ATF in your fuel would they buy it. Just make sure you always have some with you to show and its for your next fill up.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #46 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Just Horsing Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by booxr View Post
I have been wondering if you are running ATF in your fuel as an additive like some do won't that cause a red tint to you fuel? If you get dipped and say you are running ATF in your fuel would they buy it. Just make sure you always have some with you to show and its for your next fill up.
Yes, it will dye it red. No, they don't care how it got that way, and having a bottle of ATF with you won't magically get you out of a ticket. You will be fined and have to prove your innocence in court, and that could be difficult without expensive lab tests to prove that the red colouring is coming from the ATF, and not fuel dye.

That aside, ATF is not good to be burning in your engine. For lubricity, Use 2-Cycle oil instead - not only was it meant to be burned to begin with, but it will only dye your fuel blue instead of red, and blue isn't a problem colour when you get dipped.
Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Helping a friend: Duckies Longarm Quilting Oshawa / Durham Region!
Old 04-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #47 (permalink)
4320Diesel
Resident Pinhead

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

not only that but newer ATF has additives in it that aid the tranny clutches in gripping. i dunno about you but i dont really want grippy stuff in my injection system lol.
1985 GMC (The Brown Streak) Sierra Classic 1500 4WD With 6.2L V8 Diesel and 4speed NP833 trans with hurst shifter! , 4911 6.5 ip with 6.5 shortie injectors GM-3 turbo. Single plane J code intake from Turbonator (thanks guys!). 3" exhaust and 3" BBQ black stacks! Isspro Pyrometer, Trisco Boost and Engine Oil Temp Gauges.
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Sport club cab short box 4WD 5 speed 12 Valve cummins. Brentbilt fuel plate. 300 horse motorhome injectors, boost elbow, timing bumped to 18* autometer boost and pyro, 500 horse valair clutch waiting to go in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaric View Post
your wrong brent, i'll think of a reason later

Quote:
Originally Posted by diaric View Post
brent can't do that, it would look factory, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trios View Post
Brent is right.
Was there any ever doubt?
Old 05-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #48 (permalink)
Plantman98
Clutch

Ocean State Diesel Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Great thread with alot of very good info on what off road diesel is. Here is more info on the fines in the US.

I delivered diesel, kerosene and #2 (home heating oil) for a number of years. Off road diesel is diesel without the tax or at least that is the way it was when I delivers the stuff. As with anything there could be some tax on it now, but still alot less the regular diesel. (see the link below for the taxes per state) For the longest time the Feds couldn't make up there mind what color to dye what from red to blue to yellow and of coarse no die. At one point everthing had a colored dye including off road diesel. I have seen people try to get around the dies by adding there "own dye". The problem with that is it is different from the Feds dye. Sorta like counterfitting. They can tell the difference by testing. In the US the federal fines start at $10,000 and go up and then there is the state fines and the IRS (see the link below) and maybe even jail time.

I'll stick to buying my diesel at the pump and paying the tax. Hope this helps.

http://www.mainegasprices.com/tax_info.aspx

http://www.farmcpatoday.com/2010/10/...0-irs-penalty/

1987 GMC 3500 6.2 4spd 4x4 300,000+ SOLD great truck!

Josephus Daniels (18 May 1862-15 January 1948) was appointed Secretary of the Navy by President Woodrow Wilson in 1913. Among his reforms of the Navy were inaugurating the practice of making 100 Sailors from the Fleet eligible for entrance into the Naval Academy, the introduction of women into the service, and the abolishment of the officers' wine mess. From that time on, the strongest drink aboard Navy ships could only be coffee and over the years, a cup of coffee became known as "a cup of Joe".

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"

President John F. Kennedy, 1 August 1963, in Bancroft Hall at the U. S. Naval Academy
Old 09-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #49 (permalink)
Okiefarmer
Sparkplug Hunter

I live in Oklahoma. I have a farm taxid number and also a farm tag on my truck. Since last year, it is 100% legal for me to run dyed diesel in my farm truck in Oklahoma. I haven't yet because I want to know if it voids my dodge warranty. It is the same ultra low sulphur diesel that I'm running now just red. Someone I know at the dodge dealership tells me that it voids my warranty if they find it in my truck. Does anyone know for sure. Really dont know why dodge would care since it was federally mandated that all diesel (on or off road) must be Ultra low sulphur by December 2010.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #50 (permalink)
kckrawford
High Compression

Just done a little research. In North Dakota the fines are as follows:
1st Offense: $250 Fine
2nd Offense within 3 years of first offense: $500
3rd Offense within 3 years: $1000
Each fine there after: $5000

Everyone should figure out what the fines are for your state.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in