2 Stroke oil in diesel fuel = BAD - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Maintenance & Fluids > Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By c20elephant
  • 3 Post By TheBac

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2016, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
cmonks91
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2 Stroke oil in diesel fuel = BAD

So I'm new to diesels, and sceptical on Fuel additives, but I thought I'd look in to it, seems like a lot of guys like Opti-Lube XPD, And I seen studies that show it does help in different ways, but locally (Central Alberta, Canada) It is not very easy to come across. I started looking in to "home brews" or mixing additives with 2-stroke oils. Came across this study that shows that adding 2 stroke oil in diesel fuel actually has more Cons than Pros.

have a gander at this study.

2-Stroke Oil In Diesel ? A Technical Study

Based on the results of this study, the following conclusions are drawn:

At a 200:1 volumetric blending ratio, 2-stroke oil has a negligible effect on diesel lubricity.
All diesel fuel sold in South Africa has to meet the SANS 342:2014 lubricity specification to ensure the proper protection of diesel fuel pumps and injector systems.
The low sulphur diesel products sold by Sasol contain lubricity improver additives which are far more effective than 2-stroke oil.
At a 200:1 volumetric blending ratio, 2-stroke oil has a negligible effect on diesel cetane number.
No measurable effect on all other regulated diesel properties was measured at a 200:1 dose of 2-stroke oil in diesel.
2-stroke oil can contain around 16ppm zinc, or higher depending on the formulation and batch.
Trace amounts of zinc in diesel are known to rapidly accelerate injector nozzle deposits.
Engine test results show that a 200:1 blend of 2-stroke oil in diesel results in a 2% loss of engine power in a 16 hour test due to injector fouling, a risk that would apply to any common rail diesel engine, but could also worsen fouling in older engines.
Vehicles fitted with a diesel particulate filter (DPF) in the exhaust system could experience reduced DPF life due to the collection of ash and metal based contaminants in the filter over time with the continued use of 2-stroke oil.

The abovementioned results should hopefully clear up many of the public misconceptions around the use of 2-stroke oil in diesel and highlight why both oil companies & engine manufacturers do not recommend the addition of any after-market additives, ie. 2-stroke oil, to the fuel tank. It is also good advice to use fuels from reputable outlets backed up by the technical support of a competent fuel company to enable the best engine performance and durability.

I know this test was done in south africa, and fuels there are slightly different, the results show that using 2-stroke oil did not improve anything really, so I'm assuming the same would happen in North America.

Some guys swear by additives, myself, I think i will just run some Opti-lube or Diesel keen in a couple times a year. thats it. (more worried about gelling in winter)

CAT/DOC/DPF Deleted, EGR Blocked
EFI Live by Mitch Cooper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2016, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oregonnovaguy
Diesel Pro

Thanks for posting this. I have been using Diesel Kleen since my truck was new, and a blend of Diesel Kleen and 2-Stroke oil for about a year, based on the lubricity study in the forums. No more 2 stroke oil for me.

2007.5 Silverado LTZ / Z-71, 4x4, Crew Cab SB, Silver Birch/ Ebony Leather, , 150k + miles, , etc. Gearbox Z, Air Lifts
Montana High Country 310RE
My Other other Car: 70 Nova SS 350, 4 speed, posi, Fathom Blue, frame-off resto, original owner!
Previous Trucks: '03 Silverado CC gasser 4x4, '99 Sierra Ext. Cab 4x4, '77 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4, '76 Datsun 620.

Read the DISCLAIMER in my garage.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
c20elephant
Gone but not forgotten member

The lubricity was not what caught my eye, it was the zinc that potentially plugged the injectors and how current the study is March of 2015. BUT, the TC-W3 2 stroke is for outboard fuel injected water cooled engines not carbureted engines, so which 2 stroke oil is being tested...

2-Stroke Oil In Diesel ? A Technical Study

Go to the bottom of the page for more links........

Adding 2 Stroke Oil to Diesel

TC-3W 2 stroke oil OK in diesel fuel Google search

https://www.google.com/search?num=10...10.GuNJeQR0GDs

Quote:
5.3 Zinc Content

Modern diesel engines require clean diesel, which refers to diesel free of harmful contaminants such as sulphur and metals. It is well known that sulphur can poison the platinum coated catalysts and oxygen sensors, and also cause a build-up of sulphuric acid in the oil. It is of course beneficial to use the lowest sulphur that can be sourced, and any diesel engine is compatible with sulphur free diesel. It is less well known that traces of soft metals such as zinc and copper can be dissolved into diesel fuel and are known to cause stubborn injector nozzle deposits. These deposits narrow the nozzle holes of diesel fuel injectors which result in less fuel delivery and engine power loss over time. 2-stroke oil, like most engine oils, does contain zinc. In this study two different brands of 2-stroke oil, referred to here as 2SO A and 2SO B, were analysed and found to contain high levels of zinc:

• 2SO A: 15.8ppm Zn
  • 2SO B: 16.9ppm Zn
5.5 Injector fouling

The Sasol Common Rail Injector Fouling test method is based on a worldwide industry standard test for injector fouling. The development of this test procedure and subsequent results have featured in a number of peer reviewed international publications (Velaers, 2012/2013). In this study fuels were tested without detergency additives or any artificial zinc addition. The same 4 Cylinder common rail turbo-diesel as described in Section 4 was used in this test procedure on a bench dynamometer at the Sasol Automotive Lab.

Figure 5: The engine test apparatus used at the Sasol Automotive Lab
The engine test was started with new injectors and was run over a very high load test cycle for 16 hours. Every 30 minutes the engine’s full power and associated fuel flow was measured at 4400rpm (rated power and maximum rail pressure point of the engine). Any drop in power and fuel flow over the running time of the test indicates that injector fouling is taking place, restricting fuel flow though the injector nozzle holes into the engine.

Last edited by c20elephant; 05-22-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2016, 10:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
TheBac
Bac To The Future

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Simply put, that study wouldn't preclude me from running good old Walmart TC-W3 in my truck.

"BBT" -- 2003 GMC 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 - 12.14 @ 111.15
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Cruzer" -- 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Marlene (Molly) Bacon -- 1936 - 2019 -- RIP Mom
You're missed both at home and on the piano

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Reality is a matter of perspective.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

Moved to proper area.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Old 06-21-2016, 02:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
aka108
Diesel Guru

Armed Forces Club Member

Every so often I dump some diesel kleen int my tank of fuel and that's about it. Not a regular or scheduled thing. I don't even think I can feel any difference. Truck just runs good all of the time. Maybe it helps keep the injectors clean. Aside from that it runs on Shell diesel fuel and the reason for shell is that it is generally the least expensive on the route I use traveling to the shooting range.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in