Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Suspension & Steering - 2011+ (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/481-suspension-steering-2011/)
-   -   L5P: 2018 grease zerks (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/481-suspension-steering-2011/936010-2018-grease-zerks.html)

RDP 04-25-2019 12:05 AM

Grease fittings 2018 GMC 3500HD

Quote:

Originally Posted by wq93 (Post 9718540)
I changed the oil at 1,000 miles on my new 2018 a couple of weeks ago and was surprised how easily the original oil filter broke loose. This is my third Dmax equipped GMC (LB7 and LBZ prior to this one) and both had hellishly tight oil filters from the factory. On this one the Allison filter was on far tighter than necessary and took a fair amount of torque to break loose.

I greased the fittings in front and the three center ones were far easier to access after removing both the front shield and the added Z71 package skid plate. None of the zerks showed any side of a grease gun having been near them and the boots were empty. I don't think I will be using any of my "free" oil changes given the lack of proper PDI maintenance.

Someone tell me more about the grease requirements on the 2018 GMC 3500HD. I have not had to use a grease gun on a vehicle for years. This is my first 3500HD.

RDP 05-11-2019 11:30 PM

Would someone post location of the 9th grease fitting zert. Do I need to remove the skid plate in the front to get to it?

RDP 05-12-2019 12:25 AM

Need Upper idler arm pivot grease fitting location on 2017 to 2019 3500HD L5P. Photos How do I access to grease fitting. Do I need to remove any skid plates, special grease coupler?

bipeflier 05-13-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDP (Post 9819414)
Need Upper idler arm pivot grease fitting location on 2017 to 2019 3500HD L5P. Photos How do I access to grease fitting. Do I need to remove any skid plates, special grease coupler?

I remove the front skid plate and have replaced both of those fittings with either a 45 or 90 to allow access. If you don't replace, you will have to turn the wheels to the right for clearance on the driver side fitting. The other side was too close to the radiator fitting for me to get the standard grease gun end on it.

Good luck.

RDP 05-14-2019 12:42 AM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Yti3kNQQrQ8Zo8scA

L5P GMC 3500HD Upper idler arm grease zerk is accessed by removing the plastic engine splash pan, 4 each 15mm bolts. Location passenger right front, Use a 90 degree adapter on your grease gun. Mine showed no sign of being greased by the dealer since the truck was sold to me.

Dmetcalf 06-07-2019 12:12 PM

Iím reading this and thinking ďreallyĒ..!!

Itís hard to think and believe truthfully that dealerships donít go through these and ensure the front end of these very expensive trucks arenít greased ..! Driving around on dry joints just canít be good and should cause excessive wear ..! I just had my first ďfreeĒ oil change and I wish I read this prior to that because I would have been under it checking on that ..!! Wow..!

johnjr 06-11-2019 06:38 PM

They don’t care simple as that! I only use my new truck to go to my house in Maine,and every time I come back I have issues and some will be addressed some blown off, can’t duplicate. It’s just a matter of wearing most of us down so we live with it or forget about it. Mine goes in tomorrow for service Stabilitrak,Service trailer brakes codes. And the second time for transmission lines rubbing on bracket behind grill. I gave up on the piss poor paint on a black Denali.