Eaton e-locker for front of 2011+ trucks? - Page 3 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Drivetrain - 2011+
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Drivetrain - 2011+ Discuss front and rear axle, transfer case, brakes, etc. Transmission questions belong in the appropriate transmission forum below. Fifth generation and above...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
Aprilwine
Diesel Pro

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY6.5TD View Post
I am saying that I believe I may be able to make it work, but I have no guinea pig.

I know what you're saying. Keep us posted if you find a donor and let us know how it turns out.

Line-X Bedliner and Color Matched Rockers, Allison Deep Pan W/Suncoast Filter Lock, Transynd, Kennedy Lift Pumps W/Filter, Cognito Steering Braces & UCA's, Rare Parts Tie Rods, Bilstein 5100's, GM 6" Oval Side Steps sprayed with Line-X Aspart-X, Bushwacker OEM Flares, Nitto Terra Grapplers LT295/70R/18, Snugtop Canopy, Rigid Dually D2's, S&B CAI w/Cold Air Scoop & Donaldson
Powercore Filter, Edge Insight CTS, More to come, Hopefully.
Taupe Gray Metallic.

SOLD- My loaded up 02 2500 Suburban.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
mjf6175
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

So time for an update. Again from my contact at Eaton, there was discussion over which of the two Eaton differentials (the ELSD or the TrueTrac) that are currently listed for application to GM HD trucks 2010 and earlier would POSSIBLY fit the new (2012+) GM HD's. Upon learning of this from my contact I forwarded the link supplied by Aprilwine regarding the attempt to install an Eaton ELSD into a 2012. That link has a couple of pages of photos showing some of the unique characteristics of the new/current GM front differential. All I can say as of now is that I have received confirmation that the info in the thread found by Aprilwine has been received by Eaton and being reviewed. If I hear more I will update accordingly.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:47 AM   #23 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf6175 View Post
So time for an update. Again from my contact at Eaton, there was discussion over which of the two Eaton differentials (the ELSD or the TrueTrac) that are currently listed for application to GM HD trucks 2010 and earlier would POSSIBLY fit the new (2012+) GM HD's. Upon learning of this from my contact I forwarded the link supplied by Aprilwine regarding the attempt to install an Eaton ELSD into a 2012. That link has a couple of pages of photos showing some of the unique characteristics of the new/current GM front differential. All I can say as of now is that I have received confirmation that the info in the thread found by Aprilwine has been received by Eaton and being reviewed. If I hear more I will update accordingly.
OK, enough time - prod them with a pointed stick.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
Airzoo Guy
Sparkplug Hunter

I too would love to hear that either the Elocker or the Truetrack was available for the 2011+ 9.25" front diff. However, I also have a question. I've heard others say that a limited slip diff in the front is a really bad idea on snow and ice, because you can lose control too easily. But others on this thread have said they have used the TrueTrack in other vehicles as the front diff, and they say it's great. Why doesn't the TrueTrack have the same issues? Is it because it is helical gears instead of clutches?
Old 04-10-2015, 08:57 AM   #25 (permalink)
Sport45
Self Ignition

I can't say why one limited slip would be better than another but the reason you don't one up front on snow or ice is you loose the ability to steer when both front tires are spinning.

Do you remember the good burnouts when you were a kid? How the back end would start going sideways? That's because a sliding tire has no directional control. That's whether the vehicle is moving and the tire is locked (skidding) or the tire is moving faster than the vehicle (spinning). You need at least one of your front tires rolling at ground speed to allow steering.

Selectable lockers are good for the front end because they allow maximum traction for low speed maneuvering but can be left open for normal driving.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:41 AM   #26 (permalink)
baumbanshee380
Diesel Starter

Any updates on a diff locker

Any updates on the e locker or a way to make it work .
Old 09-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #27 (permalink)
496burb
Heat Sink

I have no updates on this, but some food for thought,

I had one installed in my 01 2500, besides using it playing when it was first put in, big ditch twist the truck so a tire is off the ground.. push the button it locked and went, kids thought i was magical.... no abuse just crawling, 4L 1st gear type of deal...

flipped the switch last night, and nada, the dash light comes on to show you its locked but its not... also ad in the fact that YOU CAN NOT TURN when its locked... they forget to tell you that on the web page.. So its pretty much you have to have the tires dead straight to lock it, then you have to go straight, if you turn the wheel any it binds up and blows the power steering hose,

if i had known this before hand i would saved my money...
Old 09-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #28 (permalink)
Self Ignition

Posi time.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
Bonesmech
Diesel Fanatic

I would like to re-start this thread, has there been anymore info regarding LSD or lockers for this diff?
07 dmax ally cc/sb, gone
17 Canyon 2.8 dmax, unforatunately gone.
18 Sierra, 3500HD Dmax CC/SB SLE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in