Diesel Place banner

Service stabilitrak, traction control and trailer brake

59K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Johnm 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 LML duramax and Today I was driving across a field in 4low then ran it in 4hi for a little ways. Well when I got on the road I put truck back in 2wd. Well as soon as I started driving on road my lights came on with a chime and the display said service traction control, service stabilitrak, service trailer brake system and ABS light came on. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Any help welcome thanks. Note truck has lift and today was the first time I put truck in 4wd since lift was installed?

#2 · (Edited)
You done dislodged one of the four wheel speed sensor wires. The right rear one had to be rerouted on all of mine, to make it less susceptible to snagging. Once you identify the break, you'll need to replace that sensor or repair the harness.

#4 ·
Today, I had this message: "service trailer brake system" . I stopped. Employee unplugged the trailer. Still had the message. Shut the truck off, and started it back up. No message! Plugged the trailer back in, and drove away. Never did have that message come back. I drove about 2-1/2 more hours.

#5 ·
Had something similar happen to me. It turned out a large bundle of wires under the dash weren't completely plugged in which affecte those same things and the throttle pedal. It took 5 trips to the dealership before they finally figured out that was the problem.

#9 ·
If you have problems with engine torque deliery, that will set the traction and stability control lights. If you fix your stalling issue, your traction control problem will likely be fixed as well.

#8 ·
D-max319, please fill out your signature that shows what year of truck you have and what mods it has. This will help us to help you.

Thanks.

#11 ·
service 4 wheel drive

I have a 2014 2500 gmc sierra with a duramax pickup. When I start the truck up at around 0 degrees outside the service 4 wheel drive light comes on and it won’t engage into 4 wheel drive. When I take it to the dealer they say they can’t see what code came up. Any ideas would help. Thanks

#12 ·
Hi akgmc,

I'm sorry to hear of this issue with the 4 wheel drive in your Sierra. I understand that your dealership was unable to duplicate your concern. Unfortunately, I am unable to provide technical advice, but if extra help is needed i'd be happy to look further into this matter for you. Feel free to send me a private message in reference to your concern if I can be of any assistance. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kristen A.
GM Customer Care

#13 ·
had my '11 in today at the stealer. had lights and chimes going on & off all weekend. dlr repaired broken wire on right rear sensor. Says that it is the most common one to fail...
Had to order a door handle. we had freezing rain here and i was in a hurry to open door OOPS. door was frozen closed... :(

#14 ·
I have a 2011 Chevy Silverado with 56K miles on it. She gets driven to work and back, nothing off road, no out of town trips. About a month ago I started having problems. I keep having the ABS, STABILITRAK, TRACTION CONTROL, TRAILER BRAKE SYSTEM FAILURE ERRORS COME UP. And to add to the list sometimes the truck will RED LINE to six thousand RPMS and then the truck almost shuts off! The dorr locks will start clicking and the light go on and off.

I know my truck isn't cursed, what the hell is wrong with it!? No one can figure it out!

#19 ·
I have a 2011 Chevy Silverado with 56K miles on it. She gets driven to work and back, nothing off road, no out of town trips. About a month ago I started having problems. I keep having the ABS, STABILITRAK, TRACTION CONTROL, TRAILER BRAKE SYSTEM FAILURE ERRORS COME UP. And to add to the list sometimes the truck will RED LINE to six thousand RPMS and then the truck almost shuts off! The dorr locks will start clicking and the light go on and off.

I know my truck isn't cursed, what the hell is wrong with it!? No one can figure it out!

Except for the engine redlining, an ABS error will cause all of those messages. Clear up the ABS problem, all the messages go away. As for the redline I have no idea whatsoever. Never heard of something like that. Could be a GMLAN problem?? Who knows?

#15 ·
There were issues with both failed battery cable crimps and loose mega fuse connections on quite a few '08s and '09s. I'd start there, but, I don't remember any of them racing the engine.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2012 2500hd with a 6" lift on 35's.. My tuck won't work at all if service stabilitrak or service trailer brakes error is on.. My local mechanic says it's a stater but he's wrong .. It's been doing this for last couple years every now and again , and it always clears and ends up starting after (at most ) 3 days !!! I've spent over 17k on repairs since I bought my dream truck - FML, I'm ready to sell and buy something reliable .... Any thoughts ??? Chevrolet has been no help , all they want is money from me at least

#20 ·
When the no crank situation occurs, check the voltage at both the starter's battery terminal stud (not the cable) and the solenoid stud. If you are getting 10.5V or above, I think it's the starter If it is less than that it's elsewhere, possibly battery or starting circuit. On-stud voltage should be almost exactly as on-cable - if not suspect corrosion or poor contact.

I'm assuming you lave little or no wiring corrosion basis on your home of Temecula. No ocean beach driving?? Probably not.

#18 · (Edited)
Are these messages individual or together “service stabilitrak”or “service trailer brakes”

Are there any other messages, Traction Control Or ABS?
Get the fault code(s) This will help us.

#21 ·
2012 LTZ. 6.6L Duramax. Service Traction control and Stabilitrak messages. Thought maybe all mud/snow recently messing with a sensor. Power washed everything. Not seeing anything loose visually. Ideas? YouTube is all over the place on this....steering wheel sensors, grounding, mass air flow, .....etc.

#22 ·
I'm having similar messages pop up too. Right after I replaced the entire braking system on my truck. I'm quite ... "angry" ... at GM about this. I shouldn't have to replace pads, rotors, calipers (all 4 sliders bolts seized) and all of the parking brake parts (except the cables) on a 2013 with 80k miles.

Back to current problem ... I now get Service Trailer Brake System, Stabilitrak, Traction Control and the ABS light pops up. I finished replacing the brakes yesterday and the notices popped up after the initial test drive yesterday but did not this morning, but then did again on the way home from work this afternoon.

1 - What do I look for on the Speed Sensors?
2 - How do I know which wheel is the "culprit"? Is there a "simple" home mechanic's way to test them?
3 - We're supposed to got camping this coming weekend. Is it safe to tow a ~6k lbs travel trailer like this? I do realize the truck is very capable of the weight and all just don't know if the trailer brakes will be working or not and other potential problems.

#24 ·
A bad ABS sensor will cause all of the aforementioned warnings.

Each sensor is tested at startup. Start your truck, and leave it in park. Do the ABS lamp and other warning appear? If so, unplug each sensor (front behind shock tower, rear at frame rail), and using a multimeter, measure resistance of each sensor. They should all tear around 1,000 ohm. Whichever one doesn't is the culprit.

If the ABS light and other warnings don't illuminate until 12 mph or so, then a signal from a sensor is suspect. This can be from a loose (worn out) front wheel bearing assembly, or, a damaged/ contaminated rear sensor.

#25 · (Edited)
Start by going to a big name parts store (autozone, etc) and ask them to scan your truck's computers, including the ABS module. The big named places have enough money that they buy scanners that will read most all of the computers, not so with the cheap $40-$50 scanners that many of us have. When you get the codes, please report back.

You live in NY and they salt the roads heavily in the winter. I'm betting you don't wash the salt off your undercarriage every time you drive your truck i the winter, so you have LOTS of corrosion and rust. One thing that can happen is that the corrosion or rust under the ABS sensor wire where it attaches to the wheel hub and it pushes the sensor too far away from the reluctor/sensor ring for it to read the speed correctly.

Go to Yutube.com and search for 'south main auto abs sensors' and you will get a great education on ABS Sensors. SMA is located a little south of you just off I-390 Avoca, NY.
\Fix the problem to make the ABS light go out and the others will likely disappear at the same time.

#26 ·
Alright, I think I have a idea of the problem. I'll stop at a parts store to verify which wheel 1st.

When I was reinstalled the driver's rear hub I noticed the toothed "gear" had a section of grease/dirt on in ... not horrible but maybe not good? I didn't think much of it since I've seen them like this before but when the wheel sensors where exposed to the elements. I think (hope) I just need to remove the rotor and use some brake cleaner on the teeth to clean it up.

Does this sound like it could be the cause?

thanks,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.