Diesel Place banner

2011 LML rear diff info needed

7K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  black3 
#1 · (Edited)
can anyone provide solid info on the 2011 g80 rr differential? my 2011 GMC EC LB Duramax has 11,000 miles and i was advised to change the gear oil. I need a gasket part number and the absolute recommended gear oil. To this point i have found texaco 75 w90 to be what is installed stock. thanks. (the change was recommended due to break in.)

#2 ·
Your gasket will come in a little squeeze tube. As for oil I run 75-90 syn. just like what came in it.

#4 · (Edited)
Post #7 links the owner's manuals and the oil spec (basically synthetic 75W-90)

Rear diff

And, I've got G80s at the 200k + mark with original oil in them, and never a rear end problem....

#6 ·
The manuals have a service interval for the transfer case, but not for the G80. It contains synthetic lube so it is not likely that it needs to be changed - especially this soon.

#7 ·
its not a bad idea to change out the oil in anything after break in. if you plan on keeping it for a long time, then ya i would do the same and swap out the oils.
but ya its a personal preference

#8 ·
After reading all of the horror stories here, I got conerned about my 2001 that had about 50K on it then. So I changed it,,,removed the cover for inspection too. It was a waste of time and money. That was the cleanest I have ever seen diff fluid, and there was hardly anything on the magnet.
The gears looked perfect.
I'm in no hurry to change the fluid in my 2011.
My trucks tow 15K about 80% of the time.

#10 ·
moving posts

when this post was in the 2011 LML section, i received the feedback i needed to help me make my decission. once the thread was moved i have received no feedback at all. where's the fault in posting a 2011 LML concern where 2011 LML owners frequent the most.:confused::mad::rolleyes: like in politics, maybe it makes too much sense:p:

#12 · (Edited)
I use Mobil 1 75W90 Synthetic 90% of the time in the rear differentials. Also use Valvoline full syn power 75W90 and Amsoil Severe Gear at times. I carry all of them if needed. You will not need a gasket either. There will be a drain plug at the bottom diff. Just remove, drain and refill through fill hole. I always change my vehicles rear diff fluids after the first 5K or so when I get them new. Changing the fluid is not a bad idea. 100% necessary, hard to say, without seeing the fluid and magnet! It's only 4 quarts of fluid. Not a big deal to change.

#13 ·
thanks for the feedback. it's amsoil severe gear 75/90 in the rear and torque drive for the transfer case. my concern was GM doesn't license amsoil and i didn't want to cause a warranty issue. thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.