2008 c4500 4x4 suspension options - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Medium Duty Trucks
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Medium Duty Trucks Discuss GM Kodiak/Topkicks, 4500/5500 & up medium duty engine & all associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
mitch_abwd
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2008 c4500 4x4 suspension options

Hello all, I recently joined the forum and picked up a 2008 C4500 4x4 last Friday for personal use. I've learned a lot about these trucks reading through this forum and look forward to learning a lot more!

I am looking to lift the truck approximately 6 inches and run 395/85R20 tires. Looking over the options, I see Custom Suspension offers various height custom springs, however I think the ride would suffer noticeably with straight up taller springs. Granted the factory springs on it are quite relaxed in the front and not offering a great ride as it is. The other option I've considered would be to run airbags with replaced OEM springs, the goal being the first few inches of suspension travel would be primarily air ride for better ride quality, and maybe add very short blocks, about 2 inches for the rest of the lift. Again, the goal being to net about 5 or 6 inches of lift from its current height and maintain or improve ride quality. That along with some minor trimming on the fiberglass should give ample clearance on the tires based on measuring things out.

Considering the potential issues/downsides, in the event of an air bag failure, suspensions would only be able to relax a few inches, and the blocks would be marginally taller than the factory blocks already under the springs.

Has anyone tried something similar?

Last edited by OkDually; 11-27-2019 at 09:41 PM. Reason: sig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2019, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
4x4c4500
Heat Sink

I also have an 08 4x4 that I just installed a set of multi leaf springs from Deaver Suspension last week end. They where the least amount of lift offered 1.5" and I ended up gaining about 3" of lift but they should settle down some in time. The truck will clear a 335/80/R20 41ish" tall tire without doing anything(so I have read) but I am not sure about the size you are wanting. As for the ride I was able to notice the difference as soon as I back it out of the shop. The truck is nowhere as stiff as it was before BUT now its bouncy. Keep in mind I did put new shocks on when I did the work. After a test drive with my stock 19.5's I swapped out to a set of super singles with a Toyo 37/12.50R20. Now its very bouncy, its like I need to add 2 more sets of shocks under it and the tires follows every contour in the road. I lower the tire PSI down from 75 to 65 and the road manners are better but still bouncy. I am still trying to figure out what wheel size and tire size I want to end up with. This probably isn't much help but it's all I have to offer at this time. LOL

Old 11-30-2019, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
mitch_abwd
Heat Sink

Thanks for the info! Noted about the bounce, I'll keep an eye on that. Yeah measuring everything up, a 41" should be no issue. Not sure on yours, but mine has the ratio 5.13 in the axles, which I wanted because I wanted to run the larger tires, and running the math on engine RPMs and speed, I want to go to a 365/85R20s (44 inch) or 395/85R20 (46 inch). Looking around, I've seen a few of these on the 395s with 6 inches of lift. I don't mind trimming some fiberglass if needed.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in