brake warning light (different from what came up in search) - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Medium Duty Trucks
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Medium Duty Trucks Discuss GM Kodiak/Topkicks, 4500/5500 & up medium duty engine & all associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
tehbald
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to tehbald

brake warning light (different from what came up in search)

so I have an 05 C6500 with the CAT C7 that started life as a box but was later shortened and converted to a dump truck. that shouldn't have anything to do with this but any info might help. so the issue I have is that I have the annoying brake chime along with the red service light on the dash and after driving it about 30 min the red service brake light in the center console will come on too. the assist pump runs with engine off and engine on any time the pedal is touched and while the engine is running it will cycle about every 20 sec or so. the odd part to my issue is that when I first turn the key on and it does the bulb test I don't get the ABS light in either the dash or console. I have tested the under hood fuses and don't really have much info on the relay box inside except that it seems to click too. I have replaced the brake petal switch and it changed nothing. I think that the trailer brake controller is hooked to the petal switch and not what bulletin 66 says but I plan to remedy that as soon as it's warm enough to do something like that. I have no codes that will come up. I have done basic OBD2 code readers and I took it to a "big truck shop" and they looked at the cat side and everything they could try and nothing came up. the only thing that ever showed was when they put a snap on scanner on it and scanned it as an 05 3500 it gave a code for the hydromax flow sensor. I pulled and tested it and it seems fine. im at a bit of a loss at this point. my thinking says that since its not showing the abs lights then maybe the brake control mod is dead but I haven't found a good way to test that theory and it's an expensive guess. any other ideas? thanks in advance.

03 GMC 2500HD, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short Box, Pickup w/Duramax LB7, 265/75 R16 - 8 fresh injectors (thank you warranty), curse of pump rub found and fixed with the kennedy adapter, banks ram air, monster duals, waste gate actuator, and economind tuner, SPORT'N TRUCK NUTZ

06 Chevy 2500HD, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short Box, LLY (LBZ), 265/75 r16,- K&N Drop In, FlowPro 4" duals, PPE Standard tuner, PPE High Flow fuel inlet, FASS 150 Lift Pump.

Work Truck:
13 Ram 3500 Cummins, stock

05 Chevy C6500 Dump Truck- 7.2 CAT, Allison, Agricultural Diesel Solutions "TRUCK EDITION" box
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2019, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Pump should run while key is off IF the pedal is depressed.
Pump should run at startup for a few seconds, then never run until the truck is shutoff.

So, my gut says that the pressure switch on the hydroboost is worn out. Or, you're tremendously low on power steering oil.

The boost assist pump coming on while the engine is running is wrong. Either there is not enough pressure (worn out pump, internal leak in booster, low fluid power steering fluid level), or a bad booster flow switch.

Unplug the flow switch (#6 in drawing). Start truck.
Does electric pump run continuous?
Jumper across connector.
Does pump run continuous?

I just can remember if that switch is a normally open or closed contact set.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190208-220052_Chrome.jpg (35.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190208-220146_Chrome.jpg (71.7 KB, 2 views)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association

Last edited by heymccall; 02-08-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Center Pin
Glow Plug

Yep I total agree with what heymccall said, the only other thing could be broke/chaffed/shorted wire in the switch circuit.

I have an issue where the light will come on and the rear brake lights don't work and the trailer brake controller doesn't get a signal. My issue in in the wire harness that comes through the firewall at the passengers feet. Every time the issue shows up, when I move the harness there to troubleshoot, the issue goes away.
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
tehbald
Diesel Apprentice

Ill try jumping it. Seems to have plenty of pressure and flow as i can see the return fluid in the reservoir flowing well through the filter that i just replaced. The level is also correct and no notable pump noise. Also with the truck running i can stand on the brake petal and still turn the wheel with relative ease (i wouldn’t say one finger exactly but very easy). I purchased a new sensor and did the best i could to test the continuity and to the best of my ability it seems to be fine. Don’t want to put a $70 part on for no reason.
03 GMC 2500HD, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short Box, Pickup w/Duramax LB7, 265/75 R16 - 8 fresh injectors (thank you warranty), curse of pump rub found and fixed with the kennedy adapter, banks ram air, monster duals, waste gate actuator, and economind tuner, SPORT'N TRUCK NUTZ

06 Chevy 2500HD, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short Box, LLY (LBZ), 265/75 r16,- K&N Drop In, FlowPro 4" duals, PPE Standard tuner, PPE High Flow fuel inlet, FASS 150 Lift Pump.

Work Truck:

05 Chevy C6500 Dump Truck- 7.2 CAT, Allison, Agricultural Diesel Solutions "TRUCK EDITION" box
Old 02-12-2019, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
tehbald
Diesel Apprentice

another thing to mention....don't know if it means anything or not but when I turn the key on that just let the truck sit without the engine running, the brake light turns off. however, as soon as it's started the light never turns off. im also still confused as to why it doesn't have the abs lights in the bulb test.

Work Truck:

Old 02-13-2019, 05:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
ronjhall
Diesel Champ

Did a quick look at the brakes in my service manual.
This Bulletin showed up.
2004 C5500 Kodiak LLY. Gulf Stream Endura 25,000lbs with car, EGR Blocker & stick. PVC reroute. No programmer, Bilstien shocks, Ride Rite air Bags, Train horns, Filter minder, ISSPRO trans temp gauge, VDO EGT gauge, TST tire pressure monitor, Scangauge II, MBRP muffler, Modified turbo MP.
Avg mileage over 76k miles 10.3 mpg. Sold it 5/17.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Center Pin
Glow Plug

Here's a link that has the bulletin as a pdf

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76...ht-buzzer.html
Old 02-13-2019, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
tehbald
Diesel Apprentice

UPDATE: so turns out that the brake controller is wired correctly. I have tested the hydromax flow sensor just unplugging it, and jumping it with no change. I tested pin 15 and have b+. also checked continuity of the ground just for giggles and it's ok. Attempted to remove the cover from the ebcm itself but it's sealed to well and since it's difficult to get my hands on a new one I decided I shouldn't break it. currently I have removed the red wires from the pass side to attempt to reset all modules and see if that makes a difference. my next guess is to try to find a techII to read the computer with and see if I get codes that way. getting irritating since I already paid a "heavy equipment" shop almost $200 to scan it already and they found nothing. I can't really complain though since me and 2 of there guys checked and bounced ideas off each other for almost an hour but we still did nothing but find more of what its not.

Work Truck:

Old 02-13-2019, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
tehbald
Diesel Apprentice

updated update: the battery cables didn't do anything either. didn't expect them to but it was worth a try. I might try to explore for the "ground bank" on the passenger side that Ive heard about just to inspect it too. details to come.

Work Truck:

Old 02-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
tehbald
Diesel Apprentice

So another update: hooked my snap on verus scanner to it again and entered it as a 3500. I was able to look at trans, ip, and radio data. No engine data as it is controlled by the cat computer. When I tried to go to the abs data it asked if the key was turned on indicating no power to the module and I have tested and all 3 hot wires show B+ so I know there’s power there. Ordered a new module and should have it soon. Cross fingers!

Work Truck:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in