05 6500 fuel tank issues need help! - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Medium Duty Trucks
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Medium Duty Trucks Discuss GM Kodiak/Topkicks, 4500/5500 & up medium duty engine & all associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2018, 04:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
tehbald
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to tehbald

05 6500 fuel tank issues need help!

Truck is an 05 C6500 7.2 Cat. Born a box truck but shortened and converted to a dump truck. My company recently purchased it with no problems. Now a couple weeks later it seems to only be drawing fuel from the passenger side 25 gallon tank. The level is reading ďcorrectlyĒ I guess since the passenger side is dry and the driver side big tank is basically full and the gauge reads half. Best I can tell on the setup it comes to a T between the tanks and goes to the engine. I donít see any diverting valve or any way to switch between the tanks. My next thought is to remove the big tank and check for a blockage but was hoping for a better idea before I start. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

03 GMC 2500HD, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short Box, Pickup w/Duramax LB7, 265/75 R16 - 8 fresh injectors (thank you warranty), curse of pump rub found and fixed with the kennedy adapter, banks ram air, monster duals, waste gate actuator, and economind tuner, SPORT'N TRUCK NUTZ

06 Chevy 2500HD, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short Box, LLY (LBZ), 265/75 r16,- K&N Drop In, FlowPro 4" duals, PPE Standard tuner, PPE High Flow fuel inlet, FASS 150 Lift Pump.

Work Truck:
13 Ram 3500 Cummins, stock

05 Chevy C6500 Dump Truck- 7.2 CAT, Allison, Agricultural Diesel Solutions "TRUCK EDITION" box
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2018, 04:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
ronjhall
Diesel Champ

Lots of fuel tank/gauge threads for MDT's.
Here is one I ran for Fuel Gauge. Hope this helps.

2004 C5500 Kodiak LLY. Gulf Stream Endura 25,000lbs with car, EGR Blocker & stick. PVC reroute. No programmer, Bilstien shocks, Ride Rite air Bags, Train horns, Filter minder, ISSPRO trans temp gauge, VDO EGT gauge, TST tire pressure monitor, Scangauge II, MBRP muffler, Modified turbo MP.
Avg mileage over 76k miles 10.3 mpg. Sold it 5/17.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2018, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
tehbald
Diesel Apprentice

The link didn’t work and like I said above as far as I can tell the gauge works. Unless the sending units have a valve of some kind in them that’s level based.
03 GMC 2500HD, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short Box, Pickup w/Duramax LB7, 265/75 R16 - 8 fresh injectors (thank you warranty), curse of pump rub found and fixed with the kennedy adapter, banks ram air, monster duals, waste gate actuator, and economind tuner, SPORT'N TRUCK NUTZ

06 Chevy 2500HD, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short Box, LLY (LBZ), 265/75 r16,- K&N Drop In, FlowPro 4" duals, PPE Standard tuner, PPE High Flow fuel inlet, FASS 150 Lift Pump.

Work Truck:

05 Chevy C6500 Dump Truck- 7.2 CAT, Allison, Agricultural Diesel Solutions "TRUCK EDITION" box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 04:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
ronjhall
Diesel Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehbald View Post
The link didnít work and like I said above as far as I can tell the gauge works. Unless the sending units have a valve of some kind in them thatís level based.
I did not work for me either. Not sure why.
Since my truck only had one tank I never needed to troubleshoot this problem. But I read enough of the post that do understand that the whole system needs to work to get fuel to move from one tank to the other.
Do a search using the DP search option. Make sure you select only MDT.
2004 C5500 Kodiak LLY. Gulf Stream Endura 25,000lbs with car, EGR Blocker & stick. PVC reroute. No programmer, Bilstien shocks, Ride Rite air Bags, Train horns, Filter minder, ISSPRO trans temp gauge, VDO EGT gauge, TST tire pressure monitor, Scangauge II, MBRP muffler, Modified turbo MP.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
rdminter
Diesel Nut

I have the 25gal and 15 gal standard tanks system. The ecm monitors both tanks and draws fuel from the front tank to the engine, while transferring fuel from the rear tank to the front. If either sending unit is faulty the truck will think it is out of fuel and shut down. Also, check the transfer pump to make sure it is working as well. Located on the frame rail on the passenger side.
Prodigy wireless brake controller. Iridium Sat phone, pcv reroute, boost guage.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
07yellowkodiak
Diesel Boss

I recently replaced my transfer pump. Fuel gauge read 1/4 but was a bad reading. The transfer pump only sent a small trickle of fuel to front/main tank. It ran dry leaving fuel in rear tank not going to front. Don't know if this helps. Good luck
5" stacks, no kitty w/Magnaflow muffler, Koni FSD Shocks

6000K LED lights
Train horns INSTALLED!!!

2015 Z06 Corvette .....INSANE FAST!!!

2010 Jeep JK ZOMBIE EDITION minivan V-6
Old 01-02-2019, 09:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
tehbald
Diesel Apprentice

So this is a pic of the T fittings between the tanks. This is not a front and back style system with a transfer pump. This has side tanks with steps and it seems to draw from both together. There is no pump in the tank itself only the lift pump on the CAT motor itself. There is no switching valve either. While at the dealer today getting other parts for the truck I had the guy look up the fuel sending unit. It is basically just a rod with a level sender on it. No sock or anything else visible in the image or component list. I have not been able to check the driver side tank yet but the passenger side only has a 2wire connector and I assume thatís the 2wires for the level sender (but yes I do know what happens when you assume).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5291E0BB-045B-4836-9978-AF08960612F8.jpg (37.7 KB, 2 views)

Work Truck:

Old 01-03-2019, 04:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
ronjhall
Diesel Champ

My son has a Semi truck. One of his trucks had a similar problem. Someone had dropped a additive bottle cap into one of the tanks. It was blocking the flow from one tank to the other.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
jsteele05
Heat Sink

my guess is there could be a check valve or anti siphon valve in the line that has either gotten gelled or just a lot of dirt in there. Not completely related but Ive experienced transmission lines on vehicles that had anti drain back valves degrade to the point of causing low or no pressure. They can be integrated in one of the fittings and hard to locate.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
tehbald
Diesel Apprentice

FOLLOW UP!!! So I found the issue. Turns out it was simple siphon properties. So it pulls and returns from both tanks keeping them both level, however, when the tank vent is completely blocked then it will pull and push very little to and from that tank. So for me, the little hose running from the sending unit to atmosphere had been invaded by a bug of some kind that built a nest and blocked the line. Some times it’s the simplest things.

Work Truck:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in