Limp Mode - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Medium Duty Trucks
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Medium Duty Trucks Discuss GM Kodiak/Topkicks, 4500/5500 & up medium duty engine & all associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OkDually

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2018, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
mrrober
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Limp home mode

I apologize that I'm not real good at these things AND the stupid computer is acting up soooo here it goes.
I have the 2005 Kodiak C4500, LLY. The other day I noticed that the alternator was only putting out 7 volts BUT it was still running great and I took it homeand shut it off. I, as expected, replaced the alternator andf started it just to find that it was in the "Limp Home Mode". Everything reads as it should as far as voltage outputs and etc. It will now only come up to 1700 to 2000 RPMs and only about 5 to 7 MPH in that LHM. According to a Chevy mechanic, he said that the truck should reset if everything was returned to normal which it is. He also said there is a process that will reset the computer's parameters. This process is: Start the truck with A/C, heater, and defroster on and idle in gear for 3 min.; then ramp up speed to 55 MPH - 5min w/A/C, htr, and defrosters off; decelerate to 20 MPH w/o brakes or clutch; then accelerate back up to 60 MPH for about 5 min; and etc. The second step here of 55 MPH blows everything out of the water because I won't go over 5 to 7 MPH. Anyway does anyone know how to get this truck out of that mode. By the way I put the scanner on it and it came up with a PO727 code (speed sensor). It's been replaced and it is now completely free of codes. Any ideas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2018, 05:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
oldschoolbowtie
Diesel Nut

welcome to DP

2007.5 3500HD Silverado LTZ
Kennedy Custom Tune Banks Intake and 4 " exhaust, Air Dog 150, Leveled front end, aftermarket upper control arms, tie rod end sleeves, bypass oil filter, Pusher 3" "hot side" charger tube, aFe Turbo inlet pipe, PPE deep Trans Pan with temp gage, 2 low mod for front differential disable, PACBRAKE 5000# Air Bags with remote on board air...otherwise stock

1953 Chevy truck 496 2 NOS kits ...otherwise stock

1927 Roadster 383 2 NOS kits chassis car (street legal)// otherwise stock

Last edited by OkDually; 10-13-2018 at 08:51 AM. Reason: thinned
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

Lifetime Premium-7 Member

Welcome to DieselPlace

I moved your post over to "Med Duty" for better views to your issues

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube Winter Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2018, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
mrrober
Gear Grinder

Okay. Thank-you!
Old 10-14-2018, 06:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
ronjhall
Diesel Champ

to DP MDT's.
Many of the threads I looked at suggest doing a Google search using the Google link at top of forum. Duramax P0727. Found lots of hits but not able to follow them at this time. Give it a try.
2004 C5500 Kodiak LLY. Gulf Stream Endura 25,000lbs with car, EGR Blocker & stick. PVC reroute. No programmer, Bilstien shocks, Ride Rite air Bags, Train horns, Filter minder, ISSPRO trans temp gauge, VDO EGT gauge, TST tire pressure monitor, Scangauge II, MBRP muffler, Modified turbo MP.
Avg mileage over 76k miles 10.3 mpg. Sold it 5/17.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2018, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Skipper56
Heat Sink

I realize you may have already covered this but is it possible you now (coincidently) have a plugged fuel filter, which will also put the truck in Limp mode(as I found out on a long drive home once with my 2005 LLY)
Old 10-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Glenn Meldrum
Heat Sink

I had a problem with the coolant light coming on followed by the engine shut down light. When I my rpms got low enough the engine would shut down and it would take a minute or two until I could start it again. Took to a shop and they put a paper clip in the end of the coolant tank plug and it helped for me to get away but kept acting up. Took it to the Chevy dealer in Truth or Consequences, NM and they diagnosed that the problem was in the instrument cluster. They turned off my engine shut off in computer so that hasn't happened again but the coolant light still comes on. Haven't had the time to get the cluster repaired to see if that was really the problem but from what I understand they had a lot of problems with these instrument clusters.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in