Diesel Place banner

Project Ironhide rebuild starts.

Tags
ironhide
55K views 471 replies 39 participants last post by  Just Tool'n 
#1 ·
So I am completely tearing into this truck to basically redo or rebuild the truck from Ron to bottom. Some aftermarket accessories were installed by a subpar installer. The reverse lights were wired up on a toggle switch (I don’t know why). Wires in a complete nest under the dash and under the hood. Rust on the chassis from living up north (no offense if you live up north). Rust and oxidation on the majority of the suspension components and even some electrical. All of the shocks and air suspension are shot and oxidized very badly. There’s even some missing bolts on some of the suspension upon further inspection. So I will be completely coating the chassis and suspension components with chassis saver and replacing all of the bushings, hardware, and air suspension components. All of the cab air and shocks. Adding a 2” lift up front and installing king shocks al the way around. I will also be updating the interior with leather throughout and installing a killer kicker system. Then I will do some body work. Shave some things smooth. Repaint black. Add some accent LEDs. Redo the exhaust. Add some performance upgrades. And I think that’s it. I think.

Here’s the start to the tear down.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#4 ·
back up lights need an override on a toggle because unless your going to leave it in gear with the parking brake one and get out you wont have lights. I made this mistake lol.

#5 ·
I’m replacing the bed covers and I’m going to do something for extra protection on the back sill plate. I also have to replace the bed structure (not the fiberglass sides). I’m also pulling all of the interior out for sound deadening, custom audio (nothing crazy) and covering the majority of the interior in leather. Still a long way of teardown.

Attachments

#7 ·
Hey Center Pin. That is my gauge cluster. Just redoing all of the LEDs and needles to blue. Look up GM Gauge Guy. That’s who is doing my cluster. I think he said 250 to do what I’m wanting with a 1 day turn around from when he gets it and sends it back to you. Try him. He may have a replacement lens for cheaper than a new used cluster. And maybe he can just ship you one.

#9 ·
I am in Texas. Currently the truck is up in Abilene where I live. The truck belongs to my cousin and they live in San Antonio (Bulverde). I will have the truck for about a year redoing everything.

#71 ·
No kidding. Your about an 1hr/half from me...have to look out for that truck.

#12 ·
Reactions: tom2002
#14 ·
I still have to take the dash out, the rear floor heater out, the rear rubber floor mat out and finish detrimming the doors completely. Then I’ll be able to clean out the cab and start getting it ready to spray sound deadening all throughout everything and everywhere top to bottom. Even the doors.

Attachments

#15 ·
Ok so with all of the rain we’ve been getting I haven’t been able to do a lot. But I’m working on dissecting the original steering column with one out of a 2007 truck.
I’m also working on getting all of the bolts out of the Monroe installed bed frame attached to the chassis. (Huge pain in the ass)
I’ve also removed the rear fuel tank and found that the sending unit lines and fuel lines are rusted together so those will be getting replaced. The inside of the tank looks great but the outside is a little rough so I’ll clean that up and coat it when I coat the chassis.
And the front end is slowly coming apart.

Attachments

#16 ·
I have the rear air bags out and brackets off. Stacks off. And half of the bed frame bolts out. Those sucked and are taking about an hour each bolt they are so rusty and big in diameter.

Attachments

#17 ·
looking good. Keep the pics coming

#19 ·
Got some more parts in today to add to the growing collection. Lift springs and King shocks are getting shipped today so hopefully I see them in about week.

Attachments

#20 ·
Alright well I got the steering wheel swap finished last night. The new steering wheel, clock spring, airbag, turn signal module, and shifter handle will be in on Monday. I also got a few other parts in too.

Attachments

Reactions: ronjhall
#21 ·
Ok so I finally got the frame for the bed off of the chassis. I also found? You guessed it. More rust. Blown cab shocks. Holey exhaust. But the bedsides DID come off without breaking so that’s a huge win. Also cleaned up the steering column swap. And I got both fenders off as well as the running board filler panels.

Attachments

#22 ·
:cool:Jeff Gordon's car is a a nice touch.

#25 ·
#26 ·
Wow theres a ton of rust. Did you find it at bottom of ocean ? LOL You are going to have a great truck when done. My hats off to you for taking on such a huge project too!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.