Diesel Place banner

Project Ironhide rebuild starts.

Tags
ironhide
55K views 471 replies 39 participants last post by  Just Tool'n 
#1 ·
So I am completely tearing into this truck to basically redo or rebuild the truck from Ron to bottom. Some aftermarket accessories were installed by a subpar installer. The reverse lights were wired up on a toggle switch (I don’t know why). Wires in a complete nest under the dash and under the hood. Rust on the chassis from living up north (no offense if you live up north). Rust and oxidation on the majority of the suspension components and even some electrical. All of the shocks and air suspension are shot and oxidized very badly. There’s even some missing bolts on some of the suspension upon further inspection. So I will be completely coating the chassis and suspension components with chassis saver and replacing all of the bushings, hardware, and air suspension components. All of the cab air and shocks. Adding a 2” lift up front and installing king shocks al the way around. I will also be updating the interior with leather throughout and installing a killer kicker system. Then I will do some body work. Shave some things smooth. Repaint black. Add some accent LEDs. Redo the exhaust. Add some performance upgrades. And I think that’s it. I think.

Here’s the start to the tear down.

Attachments

See less See more
#338 ·
When I put the flywheel on and went to torque it, the manual says NEW bolts. So I ordered ARP bolts last night. I blasted the exhaust parts and paints with VHT high temp black. The oil pan was bent for whatever reason. Possible cause of one of the oil leaks.

Got called to a birthday party.
To be continued....

Attachments

Reactions: johnH123
#339 ·
The oil pan is cleaned, straitened, and painted. Its curing now and I’ll put it on after my daughters birthday activities for today.

Attachments

#340 ·
Oil pan is back on. Oil temp sensor is in. I got back to cleaning the transmission and found a leaking PTO cover so I’ll get those ordered. While I wait for those I’ll keep cleaning the transmission and prep for paint.

Now for birthday movie and dinner........

Attachments

#341 ·
A couple more heat shields done. Still cleaning the transmission. It is dirty and has many hard to reach places. I’ll probably paint it when I get it bolted to the engine and in the air so I can get good paint coverage underneath. But I can’t do that until the new ARP flex plate bolts come in which is hopefully tomorrow.

Attachments

#342 ·
ARP Flywheel bolts came in at lunch. Came home early and got them torqued down to 250 ftlbs. I even ordered a new ARP harmonic balancer bolt and washer. Mounted the transmission and put the bolts in the torque converter. Now to keep cleaning the transmission of all the grease and oil so I can get some paint on it. Also got the turbo valley heat shield painted.

Attachments

#343 ·
The transmission is painted. I still need to paint the pan and mounts and PTO covers. But those I can do once back in the chassis. Except for the mounts. Those will be done soon so I can install engine and transmission Sunday.

Attachments

#344 ·
Alright everybody. I got the engine and transmission back in the chassis. I still have a few little things to tidy up and then I will be starting on the cab.

Attachments

#347 ·
I’m getting all the odds and ends all sorted out. I should be pretty much done by the end of the weekend. I drilled and tapped the exhaust manifold for the pyrometer gauge. Put the trans temp sensor in as well as the new internal filter and pan on. I have the front accessory brackets on. The turbo in. The EGR cooler in. More to come today and tomorrow.

Attachments

#348 ·
Finished up for now. I have to twist a piece of flat stock for the down pipe to mount to the up pipe. Then paint it with flat black exhaust paint and then wrap with DEI exhaust wrap. Everything else is on though. The fan is just hand tight. I’m going to clean the blades still but at a later date.

Attachments

Reactions: ronjhall
#349 ·
Welded the tab on and painted the down pipe. I painted it with VHT extreme heat flat black header paint. I’ll wrap it with DEI exhaust wrap tomorrow.

Attachments

#350 ·
The down pipe is done and the exhaust is starting to get finished. Welding hangers for the rubber isolators. Painting as I go.

Attachments

#351 ·
Finished sanding and painted the Jones turbine muffler. I’ll weld a hanger to the collar of the flea pipe that will go in place next.

Attachments

#354 ·
All done with the front brake lines. I think there’s just the two very rear lines that I’ve started that I need to finish up and the connection piece that feeds the right rear. I should have those done hopefully tomorrow. Then I can start getting ready to push the chassis outside and get it under its temporary 10x30 canopy shelter, while I work on the cab.

Attachments

#355 ·
I finally welded the exhaust hanger on for the front half of the exhaust. I’ll finish the rest of the exhaust when I put the cab back on.

Attachments

#356 ·
I picked up a new tailgate emblem at work today and decided to do a color change to match the blue LEDs that will be on the truck.

Attachments

#357 ·
I got the chassis out of the shop and the cab in the shop. It took longer than I wanted because I had a blow out on the cab dolly so I re-did all 4 wheels. Anyways. It’s also windy as crap here so I didn’t get the canopy poles put together, but it is covered for the time being to keep the UV rays off the chassis (the coating has no UV protection, it will dull out as you can see on the bed rack) I’ll build the canopy as soon as I can. But the good news is I’m starting on the cab soon.

Attachments

#358 ·
I was able to get the canopy up with the help of my mom. Thanks mom. It’s a little dinky and I hope it works for a while. My expectations are low. But it’s up.

Attachments

#359 ·
Alright guys. I have a crap ton of cleaning up to do in the shop so I can work around the cab. Completely. I can’t wait to get started though. I’ve already vacuumed out the floor from all the dust flying around being outside. Plus I’ve completely wiped the cab down so I can see all the dents, chips, and scratches in the paint. And I’m also better able to see and work on the top of the roof to fix the cracked paint and dents.

So I’ll be cleaning all week. Talk to you guys and gals later.

Attachments

#360 ·
Are you going to repaint the whole cab? If so, you might want to use paint remover to strip it down to bare metal, let effort than trying to sand all the nooks and crannies to roughen up the clearcoat to get a good paint bond.

#361 ·
Hey davester, yes I am painting the whole cab. Everything really. But I’m not stripping it to bare metal. I will repair what areas need repairing (dents, chips, scratches). I’m going to block everything else. Prime and block again. Then repaint it black. There’s no way around having to get into all the nooks and crannies. Stripping it bare or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.