Kodiak C4500 Cab Noise, Suspension, Ride Quality - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Medium Duty Trucks
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Medium Duty Trucks Discuss GM Kodiak/Topkicks, 4500/5500 & up medium duty engine & all associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
cclements716
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Kodiak C4500 Cab Noise, Suspension, Ride Quality

I just bought a 2003 Chevrolet C4500 Crew Cab with Hauler Bed. Truck has 155k miles. 45k on a factory replaced 6.6L.

Drove it home from Texas. My first impressions are great on many aspects. Truck pulls great, great turning radius, air seats are fantastic, cab is huge, bed is nice, but the cab is so loud.

Is there anything that will make the cab quiet, or quieter? Seems like it has a lot of engine noise in the cab. Thought of adding a product such as dynamat to the in cab engine cover.

I have the 19.5" front wheels. Truck rides terribly. Any suggestions for tires, shocks, or air suspension upgrade to address this issue. Bought the truck to occasionally haul our boats and 20ft equipment trailer. Many miles will be used to take trips, unloaded.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
duck156
Diesel Fanatic

Welcome!!!

Several of the items you mentioned you will find on this forum.

Dynamat will differently help. Buddy did that to his truck along with gluing the multi piece door panels together. I'm amazed at how much quieter his cab is.

I would bet all the shocks are shot. These trucks are big and heavy and they are just hard on shocks. Kings makes a nice shock that you can tune and can be rebuilt, but are expensive.

Ride quality has been discussed a lot over the years.
Full rear air ride is good thing. But again may or may not be worth the time and expense even if one could be found.
Deaver front springs have gotten rave reviews from those that have them. Not break the bank expensive and are still available and can be done at home with a little knowledge and a few friends.
They use to make a cab air ride system but I believe that has been discontinued.
Front end alignment, these trucks link very little front wheel toe.

Tires. I can say from experience these truck are extremely picky on tires. If you buy tires spend the money, do not go cheap, if you have never heard of the brand before stay away. Find a tire shop that will stand behind their product, be up front, tell them if you don't like the ride quality your bringing it back. It should not shake at speed, with the wrong tires it will.

Hope that helps ~ Glen

2006 C4500 Kodiak, LBZ, 2x4, Software Enabled Six Speed , Monroe Pickup Bed, Rear Air Ride w/ dual height control, Rear Sway Bar, Front Track Bar, Fass Lift Pump, EFI Live, Kings Shocks, EGR block off plate, PCV reroute, 2007 Intercooler Upgrade, Front Deaver Springs
Superhitch, 48" SuperTruss Hitch Extension
2013 Chalet TS116 Truck Camper
2004 22' North River Scout, 225hp Yamaha Vmax Tiller

Last edited by duck156; 09-11-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
LanduytG
Diesel Boss

I put the Kelderman rear air ride on my 08 4500 and what a difference. They also have the front air ride and cab air ride.

Front air ride

https://kelderman.com/shop/2003-2009...suspension-2x4

Rear air ride

https://kelderman.com/shop/2003-2009...air-suspension
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
rdminter
Diesel Nut

There is a big difference riding empty and riding loaded. My truck rides harsh when empty and a lot better when loaded. The suspension is designed to be loaded. I have the firestone rear air and the air ride seats in the front. Would love to have installed the cab air ride, but I dont think it is available any more. It could be fabbed but would require a bit of engineering on your part. I replaced my shocks with Bilsteen and it was a major improvement over the ones that were on the truck when I bought it. As for tires, yes, they make a big difference, cheap tires are definitely rough on the truck.
Prodigy wireless brake controller. Iridium Sat phone, pcv reroute, boost guage.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
cclements716
Heat Sink

Bilstein 24-186650 46mm Monotube Shock Absorber Correct?
Old 09-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
rdminter
Diesel Nut

I am not home right now, so I cant check the truck. I will be home in about a week and will try and remember to check for you.
Prodigy wireless brake controller. Iridium Sat phone, pcv reroute, boost guage.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Center Pin
Glow Plug

I put centramatics wheel balancers on the front. Made a huge difference for smoothing out various harmonic vibrations at freeway speeds. Just ordered a set for the rear as I will putting new tires on the back real soon.

Air ride front and rear is what I dream of.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cowpig
Freeze Plug

i'm converting my 08 c45 from ambulance into an RV. It came with a link mfg rear air suspension and on 19.5/245's

I recently put 22.5 alcoa and hankook 10r22.5's on it - rode okay but still too bumpy. I added a kelderman front air suspension ... and now it's crazy bumpy - shop aligned and re-balanced the front tires but no change, still so bumpy I could make milkshakes in the front. I've got counteract balance beads on the way - hoping they solve the issue (8oz front, 10oz each dually as per mfg recommendation). I've also changed the shocks out (link rear shocks - the bilstein p/n was too short for this suspension, but went with the bilstein front shocks)

for noise - during my conversion I had the cab entirely gutted other than the dash. I put dynamat on the roof, back, floor, and in the doors. it's nice and quiet inside now! if you have the time I'd suggest doing this - it's not particularly hard to install and the interiors on these trucks come apart fairly easily.

I will post back on the results of the balance beads - first time i've used these. the centramatics mentioned by center pin also get very good reviews - main reason I didn't do those was: the rear airbags caused a clearance issue for my 22.5's and 10r22.5 tires ... I had to add a 1/2" spacer, and unfortunately mount the alcoa aluminum inboard with the steel outboard because the two wheels have different offsets. The spacer (made by BORA) is the max thickness to use on the stock wheel studs... so no way I could have also added the centramatics on the rear axle. depending on how the beads do I may consider doing the centramatics on the steer axle... time will tell though, I really hope the beads do the trick

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel 4x4 ORA-II
Old 10-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
cclements716
Heat Sink

I just bought 6 new tires. Front highway steer tires (265/70r19.5) and rear all terrians (225/70r19.5). The ride got way better over the worn out tires. Had all 6 balanced perfectly. Rides good. Does not really have any bad vibrations. I went ahead and dynamatted the engine dog house. Seems to have made a big difference in engine noise through the dog house to the cab. Looking to pull the door panels and mat the doors. Think this will knock down on the road noise as well. I did not think about the roof but that is a good idea. Bought a pack of mat off of amazon for around $80. Came with 9 sheets. Took only one sheet to do the whole dog house. I think i may have enough to do all the doors.

Also changed out the old halogen rear lights to a 32" LED light bar and upgraded the storage box lights to LEDs. Next on the list though is to convert the old compressor to a Viair 480c. Have all the parts on hand, just not the time.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Moddriver 83
Gear Grinder

Cab air ride

I have a 2007 c4500 crew cab Monroe hauler bed. It has Link air rear and air seats. Ride sucked. Put Bilsteins and got better. Looked for a year for cab air suspension. It's not out there. I had a picture of one from Link sitting in pickup bed and a download of the install instructions. I built it myself. All the parts like air bags shocks ride control valve and lateral control rod are available. Took a few weekends and just took it for a ride on a stretch of route 46 in NJ that is worst road I have traveled. We were always breaking trailer springs there. It rode smoother than my 2003 Silverado 2500 crew cab does.The improvement is nothing short of incredible. I have model I built out of racecar sheet metal and used to test fit everything with if anyone is interested in building one. Parts were less than $500.and easy to come by. PM me and will pass along pics drawings and parts list.

Last edited by OkDually; 12-27-2018 at 08:37 AM. Reason: rpi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in