L5P: 5th wheel towing - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2019, 11:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Saltwater man
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

5th wheel towing

I know this has probably been covered, but being technically challenged, here goes. I have 2019 Chevy 2500, 4wd, longbed LTZ and Iím starting to shop for a 5er and I would like to hear from some of you what is the heaviest trailer this truck will handle comfortably. I donít want to get into white knuckle towing, Iíve done that and donít have any urge to do it again.
While on the subject of trailers, I wonít ask what the best brands are, but what brands would you absolutely not buy?

Last edited by OkDually; 06-26-2019 at 08:48 AM. Reason: prefix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 07:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
walleyerod
Self Ignition

I tow an Arctic Fox fifth wheel that weighs around 14,000 loaded and hardly know it's back there. Also, many times each summer, tow an 18 ft boat behind the fifth wheel. Absolutely no problems, tows like a dream. So easy, the wife will even drive (as log as we're not going through any towns!). I'm sure we're pushing limit and capacity of the vehicle but these trucks are designed to work like this, and the newer ones are even better! Bottom line, love the arctic fox and my truck tows the train like a dream, easy!!

2008 GMC Sierra LMM CCSB LTZ - KD Performance/Tow Tune with Turbo Brake - KD Single Lift Pump - CAT and DPF Delete Pipes - DIY Airbox Mod - Resonator Delete - EGR Off - PCV Bypass -Magnaflow Exhaust Tailpipe - Bilstein's and Airbags
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
MTU alum
Diesel Pro

Your truck will probably weigh close to 8800 to 8900 lbs with passengers and gear. Subtract that number from the GCW on your door and that should give you an idea on allowable weight. Just be careful not to exceed RGAWR. Some toy haulers have really high pin weights that can put you over RGAWR. I talked to editor at trailer world last week, he did not have nice things to say about Keystone.

SOLD:
2003 LB7 ECSB 4X4
Tuxedo cover
LT265/75R16 Michelin MS2

Senior Development Engineer
Vehicle Dynamics
General Motors Milford Proving Grounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 08:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Thread relocated over to "Towing"

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Old 06-26-2019, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
RINGNEKS
Diesel Apprentice

I donít think youíll have a white knuckle experience with that truck but I could be wrong. We bought a jayco north point, we looked at rvís a long time and narrowed ours down to jayco and grand design solitude, both in my opinion are very close in quality, I would always expect issues with a new rv as they crank them out as fast as they can. Weíve been happy with ours and I know a fellow dp member with a solitude and last I heard heís been happy with his, in my opinion the Montanaís are not top of the line anymore, just my opinion. As far as towing my truck does fine with mine and I most always tow doubles. Good luck on your search.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Lead Moderator
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

And I am the one that bought a Solitude, I tow with a 3500, but really the difference is only rear springs, tires and the sticker on the door. If you buy a 5th wheel with a GVW of around 15,000 it is hard to stay totally legal. The truck will tow fine, but legal is done on a scale. Example: My truck weighs as follows: 5600 front axle, 4000 rear axle with just me and my normal stuff, a 60 gallon fuel tank and 5500 watt onan quiet diesel generator and 5th wheel hitch. Hooked up to the Solitude loaded, rear axle is between 7000 and 7500, front axle 5600, trailer axles 10,500. Interesting point, rear axle on truck is 500 lbs heavier without fresh water in the 5er, due to the fact that the water tank sits behind the rear axle of the 5er and takes weight off of the pin. I found this out by accident in January when I had to take a trip to CA and found out that my fresh water drain didn't close all the way and let the water drain out. Based on my numbers above, I am over weight, my truck has a gross vehicle weight rating of 11,600, based on my front and rear axles combined, I am at 12,600 to 13,100 on the gross vehicle weight of my truck. Am I worried? Nope, I am withing my tire ratings and the truck drives fine. If needed, I can loose 7-800 lbs easily between the generator and my extra fuel.
With a 2500 truck, your GVW is probably around 10,000, so you have less of a margin. Limit your 5th wheel choices based on pin weight to start and then scale your truck and combo axle by axle.
2017 3500HD CCLB Black on Black LTZ Loaded L5P, Banks Derringer with I dash, Ranch Hand bumper with 18K superwinch talon, Curt 20k puck hitch, 60 gallon aluminum transfer tank with electric pump, Onan Quiet Diesel 5500 for extra weight in the bed, Cooper STT PRO 285/65R18 and Vision Manic wheels. 2nd set of tires and wheels, Cepek Trail Country EXP 285/65R18 on Ultra Predator II Black/Machined 18x9

2018 Solitude 310GK fifth wheel with a 12' Haulmark tag trailer to haul toys in.

1997 Jeep TJ, Currie 8.8 high pinion axles front and rear with ARB air lockers, 4.56, 5 on 5.5 with warn hub kit, Atlas II transfer case with Klune V doubler, 4 inch Currie Lift and 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ on 15x10 Mickey Thompson wheels, Ramsey 9500 winch, hydraulic ram assist steering, on board welder and on board air, custom aluminum fuel tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in