L5P: Can and safely tow this load? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
averey0
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Can and safely tow this load?

Friends,

I have a 2018 GMC SLT 2500 crew cab short box Duramax and want to pick up a tractor that 300 miles from home. I will be driving through some mountains in TN. My trailer is a 20ft + 4í dovetail PJ F8 conventional tag along rated to tow just over 16k. This rating is based on 14k on the trailer and the rest tongue weight on truck. My actual total load weight (trailer + tractor) is 14.5k which I plan to put 1400-1600lbs on the tongue. I have plenty of trailer length so can balance the load accordingly using a tongue scale to verify weight. GMC rates my truck at only 13k which is 1500lbs less than my expected load. My hitch is a new B&W tow and stow rated at 14.5k. I believe GMC uses a class 5 receiver hitch thatís rated for 2k tongue weight when using a weight distribution hitch. This muddies the water some as best I can tell there is no way to use this type hitch with a PJ F8 trailer as the I-beam is 8Ē tall and no one supplies frame attachments for such a large trailer frame. Not sure why it matters anyways as long as tongue weight is in spec? Again I plan to keep tongue weight at 1400-1600lbs. Truck payload is 2167lbs and it will be just myself, fuel and mostly a empty toolbox. Anyway, this will be like a 1 time thing so my question is can I get this tractor home safely, will I be legal, and will my truck pull this kind of weight without stressing it? I plan to take it easy and wonít be in a hurry. Most Iíve previously towed was a 10-11k load with same type trailer from SC to Ohio using a 2008 F250 Powerstroke. Load was heavy but truck did great and had no issues. This will be 40% more load though so really looking for help from anyone with experience with this. Thank you.

Oh by the way this will be my FIRST tow with my new truck. Heck of a way to start out I guess. Unfortunately, just how things have worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
johnH123
Glow Plug

I'd go for it. tie that sucker down good and make sure your tires and brakes are in shape and you should be ok.

Will you be legal? No, because you are towing over the 'rated capacity' on the little sticker in the truck. DOT thinks those stickers are God. Just avoid Blitz week and you'll probabl;y be alright. Honestly just don't get caught and you'll be fine

The truck should be able to do that pretty well. If the f*rd can do a slightly smaller load, the chevy can absolutely do this job.

Gone but not forgotten: 2001 silverado 2500hd CC/SB, 4x4, 6.0 vortec, 229k miles when I traded it.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2019, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
averey0
Diesel Fanatic

Yeah thatís what I was wondering. I was hoping they focused more on truck payload, actual trailer weight and staying under the magical 26k total combined weight. Sounds like the do go by truck rating though. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
BanksLB7Duramax
Diesel Champ

9 months with your truck and this is your first tow??? What are you using it for, are you regularly hauling heavy loads in the bed?
MY FUELLY PAGE LINK

1984 C20 6.2 J Code TH400
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2019, 12:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
averey0
Diesel Fanatic

Itís my work and hunting rig in winter and then in summer I move my smaller tractors from my different farms and or to our hunting leases to mow and plant food plots. So yes itís just now becoming that time of the year. Most of my tractors weight 5-7k. This will be my largest tractor but one that will not be trailered much.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
averey0
Diesel Fanatic

Ok GMCís site is not as clear as Fords but I think I see now how they rate them. So Ford says (for a F250) when using a conventional hitch they have the same weight ratings for either a weight distribution or standard type ball hitch. If GMC is like Ford then Iím hoping they rate the two hitch types the same as well. Unfortunately their literature doesnít break out the specifics like Ford does so no way to tell for sure. All they say is when using a weight distribution hitch. Lol what about without one? Seems to me this should be much more straight forward than what it is. No wonder there is so much confusion on the internet and when speaking with trailer manufacturers and or dealers everyone seems to have a different opinion. Iíve actually worked with two dealers while trying to buying this most recent PJ trailer and both were far from being on the same page. Which is why I came here asking for help but there is as much confusion here as there is everywhere else.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
BanksLB7Duramax
Diesel Champ

So you are looking to buy this trailer to haul your tractor? If so, stay far away from PJ Trailers. We call them “Pure Junk” trailers. Several guys I know have them and they regret buying them, they’re junk. Go with something that will last like a Felling or H&H.
MY FUELLY PAGE LINK

1984 C20 6.2 J Code TH400
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2019, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
johnH123
Glow Plug

No he has the trailer hes just looking for exactly what the tow rating is for his truck.

Gone but not forgotten: 2001 silverado 2500hd CC/SB, 4x4, 6.0 vortec, 229k miles when I traded it.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
averey0
Diesel Fanatic

Yeah I have the trailer already. Hope it wonít be bad. This is my third PJ though and the first two have been fantastic. The only other trailer I had was a Kaufman equipment trailer which was nothing but problems. I would have even been ok with everything provided they backed up their equipment. But two weeks after purchase they basically said it yours good luck. Will never give them another penny. A shame to as I live close to their manufacturing site in NC.

So yes best I can tell Iím in spec with everything except I think my truck is only rated to tow 13k and my total load with trailer and equipment is 14500. Just curious how much of a issue this is and donít want to damage my new truck. Thanks

Old 06-25-2019, 03:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
IGO1320
Diesel Superstar

I wouldn't tow that much without weight distribution bars. I think you are just asking to bend your rear frame rails. I'm not worried about the total weight, I'm worried about the tongue weight. Yes you can move the tractor back on the trailer to lessen the tongue weight but then you might get into a swaying problem. With weight bars I see no problems. If you had a dually the sway problem would not be as likely without problems.

265/75/16 Michelin LTX AT2's on PYO's
Duramax.com tow tune w/turbo brake
PPE Dual Fueler (P0087 cure)
Kitty on a "warm shelf", K+N Drop-in filter
Amsoil in all places, Amsoil BMK-27 Bypass
KYB shocks (stock sucked)
Autometer Boost/Pyro gauges/Edge CTS
EGR blocker and (Kennedy) finger stick
Merchant remanufactured transfer case 748,000
Kennedy lift pump, reserve tank with transfer pump
Suncoast trans and 1700 stall converter @ 748,000
14.558 @ 91.03 Hypertech now?????

Last edited by IGO1320; 06-25-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in