L5P: Can and safely tow this load? - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
averey0
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Can and safely tow this load?

Well the truck is rated at 1500lbs weight distribution or not so not sure how that matters. Most 1/2 tons can tow more with weight distribution but that doesnít apply with 3/4 tons and up. I did not realize this until recently after digging into all the specifications. Oh and by the way there are no weight distribution hitches available for tall I-Beam frames which are on deckover trailers. Nothing period.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by averey0; 06-25-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 08:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
averey0
Diesel Fanatic

Iím leaving at 6am in morning to get this tractor. I will know for sure how bad a decision this is by 2pm when I pull out. Iíve had every opinion under the sun from no way itís possible to no big deal man so I will tell everyone for sure tomorrow afternoon. I will set the record straight tomorrow

Old 06-25-2019, 09:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
MTU alum
Diesel Pro

2018 HD trucks are rated to pull 14.5k conventional trailers. GM does not specify the need for load equalization on any trailer weight due to vast differences in HD trailers. They certify to SAE standards with and without load equalization. The hitch is a class 5 rated to 20k. Stay within the truck's capabilities and you will be fine.

SOLD:
2003 LB7 ECSB 4X4
Tuxedo cover
LT265/75R16 Michelin MS2

Senior Development Engineer
Vehicle Dynamics
General Motors Milford Proving Grounds
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 09:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
averey0
Diesel Fanatic

Yep thatís correct. Tongue weight is the same whether itís weight distribution hitch or not.

Well first tow is today. Taking my old Ford cab tractor to Ohio. Almost the same weight as the Massey so should be a good initial test. Will get Massey sometime next week.

Last edited by averey0; 06-26-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
averey0
Diesel Fanatic

So I now have the answer to this thread from first hand experience. Some of you were correct and some of you need to learn more about towing. LOL. Well just picking a little but yeah seriously you were wrong.

So for those that said grab your nut sack and role no worries you were correct. For those that said no way, or I would get beat to death, or I need a gooseneck, well not sure how much towing experience you actually have because you were way off. Not only would I do this only 1 time but with this setup I would easily do this every month or two as needed. Obviously, If towing was my full time job and or something I did often then yeah I would probably do the goose. But for easy hookup and not having to modify my truck there is no way I would consider a gooseneck for the amount of towing I do and at this weight or less.

For this trip the cargo was my Ford 5610 MWFD cab tractor with loader traveling from NC to Ohio on my new PJ 24í 16K conventional ball hitch trailer. Best I can tell from looking online the tractor should come in around 9500-10k with loaded rear tires plus front loader. Trailer weight is 4080lbs which puts me at 13500-14000lbs total trailer and cargo or near 22k GCWR of truck and trailer combined. I actually couldnít believe how well the Allison/ Duramax and PJ trailer combo performed. The trailer only bumped me firmly a few times on the roughest portions of the road while being amazingly smooth to light bumps or taps the rest of the time. I was shocked at how easy this tow was and kept laughing at why I was even concerned in the first place. I started out leaving going down a very steep two lane road and the engine braking was so good I hardly had to brake any. Then once I hit the highway the Allison/Dmax combo never had issues maintaining the speed limit even through the steep mountains of WV on hwy 77. The GMC felt so much in control of the trailer it was like I was only carrying half the actual weight. Im sure part of it is that these new trucks are just so much better than even if ones made just 10 years back. The GMC was rock solid and the exhaust braking is phenomenal. Iím sure the new Rams and Fords are the same. Either way Iím very happy with the outcome as I was worried about this much weight which turned out to be a walk in the park.

The Massey will be a wee bit heavier I think but not by much so really donít expect much difference in the two. Thanks for everyoneís comments as maybe this will help someone in the future too.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Lead Moderator
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Glad you had a good towing experience. All I can say about towing with the L5P is awesome. Many people worry about staying legal with the factory placards, but sometimes it can't be done, but you can still be safe. I run all of my heavy loads over a scale and make sure I am not exceeding my tire ratings. I am also very careful to make sure my tires are inflated to carry the load. Some 2500 trucks can benefit from a tire that can carry more weight and air bags that beef up the rear springs. Keep on truckin!
2017 3500HD CCLB Black on Black LTZ Loaded L5P, Banks Derringer with I dash, Ranch Hand bumper with 18K superwinch talon, Curt 20k puck hitch, 60 gallon aluminum transfer tank with electric pump, Onan Quiet Diesel 5500 for extra weight in the bed, Cooper STT PRO 285/65R18 and Vision Manic wheels. 2nd set of tires and wheels, Cepek Trail Country EXP 285/65R18 on Ultra Predator II Black/Machined 18x9

2018 Solitude 310GK fifth wheel with a 12' Haulmark tag trailer to haul toys in.

1997 Jeep TJ, Currie 8.8 high pinion axles front and rear with ARB air lockers, 4.56, 5 on 5.5 with warn hub kit, Atlas II transfer case with Klune V doubler, 4 inch Currie Lift and 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ on 15x10 Mickey Thompson wheels, Ramsey 9500 winch, hydraulic ram assist steering, on board welder and on board air, custom aluminum fuel tank.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
Dooner
Diesel Nut

How about some pics of you towing?
'06 Silverado LBZ 2500HD LT CC/LB 4X4, EGR Blocked & Fingered, PCV Reroute, Pro Fab downpipe, Magnaflow High Performance Diesel Cat, 4" MBRP downpipe back system (no muffler) w/5" tip, Fuel Filter Bleeder Valve, Fumoto Valve, Leveled Tow Mirrors, Custom Fabricated Grill Guard with (2) 20" Cree LED Light bars, Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, Leveling Kit, Air Ride Air Bags, Reese Pro-Series 20K 5th Wheel Hitch, Bilstein 5100's, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 285/70R17's on chromed H2 rims

2006 Weekend Warrior FS2600 Billet Edition Toyhauler (Sold 1/10/17)
2007 Attitude MKS33 5th Wheel Toyhauler
'19 Can-Am Maverick X3 Max XRS Turbo R
'06 Suzuki LTR450 (Sold)
'07 Suzuki LTZ400 (Sold)
'04 Yamaha Raptor 660 (Sold)
GOT SAND?
Old 06-28-2019, 06:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
averey0
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Camilleri View Post
Glad you had a good towing experience. All I can say about towing with the L5P is awesome. Many people worry about staying legal with the factory placards, but sometimes it can't be done, but you can still be safe. I run all of my heavy loads over a scale and make sure I am not exceeding my tire ratings. I am also very careful to make sure my tires are inflated to carry the load. Some 2500 trucks can benefit from a tire that can carry more weight and air bags that beef up the rear springs. Keep on truckin!

Yes good points. I wanted to hit the black cat scales but realized a major issue when I left out that am. When I purchased the truck last fall I had asked for 20k GCWR in the truck. Unfortunately I never actually looked to conform thatís what they put on the truck and my registration only had 10k on it. So I had to google a dmv location that was in route and pay for a higher weight truck tag. I now have 23k on her so all is good. Also, the tires can be inflated to 80psi which next time I will run them all the way up when running at max weight again. All great points and info. Thanks

Old 06-28-2019, 06:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
averey0
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooner View Post
How about some pics of you towing?

Hello Dooner. I didnít get any pics this trip however on the slightly bigger load next week Iíll hook you up. I gotta say though itís a sight to see having a big @$$ cab tractor on a 102Ē wide 24í tag along trailer thats being pulled by a 3/4 ton GMC. Definitely looks bad @$$. I still can hardly believe it even today.

My 08 Powerstroke Ford struggled more and rode worse when I towed one of my smaller tractors on same trip back in 2011. Its total trailer weight with tractor and trailer was about 11k or to include truck to was 19k GCWR. But I was bumped and jerked a good bit more the entire trip. By the time I arrived I was more wore down for sure. But weíre talking about 10 year older truck technology and a fairly new 14k Kaufman equipment trailer that never seemed right anyways.

Last edited by averey0; 06-28-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Lead Moderator
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

towingdoubles2.jpg

towingdoubles.jpg

Truck is about 9500 lbs the way it sits, 5th wheel 14000, tag trailer 3000, truck is a 2017 3500 and tows this combo like it isn't there. The L5P is a beast. I am usually right at the limit of the rear axle/tires though.

To the OP, there isn't much difference between the 2500 and 3500 trucks these days, mostly tires and rear spring pack and the stupid placard on the door sill.

2017 3500HD CCLB Black on Black LTZ Loaded L5P, Banks Derringer with I dash, Ranch Hand bumper with 18K superwinch talon, Curt 20k puck hitch, 60 gallon aluminum transfer tank with electric pump, Onan Quiet Diesel 5500 for extra weight in the bed, Cooper STT PRO 285/65R18 and Vision Manic wheels. 2nd set of tires and wheels, Cepek Trail Country EXP 285/65R18 on Ultra Predator II Black/Machined 18x9

2018 Solitude 310GK fifth wheel with a 12' Haulmark tag trailer to haul toys in.

1997 Jeep TJ, Currie 8.8 high pinion axles front and rear with ARB air lockers, 4.56, 5 on 5.5 with warn hub kit, Atlas II transfer case with Klune V doubler, 4 inch Currie Lift and 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ on 15x10 Mickey Thompson wheels, Ramsey 9500 winch, hydraulic ram assist steering, on board welder and on board air, custom aluminum fuel tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in